DIY for Dummies - Int. Steering Shaft *Clunk* pics

Meegs

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the new shaft to fix the clunking noise. Ordered 19153614 after double checking for correct part number. The new part has a shaft at the bottom end with a bolt hole going thru it. It looks like it slides into the steering box. Looking at my original shaft, I can see a clamp at the bottom of the shaft that clamps around a shaft that comes out of the steering box. Do I have the correct part ??? I even checked with gmpartsdirect and gave them my VIN. They say its correct, but it doesn't look like it will fit. Top section looks good. Bottom section is two male shafts. My Silverado is a 2006, 1500.

My mechanic friend and I were talking about this, and had wondered if there was a way to drill it somewhere and install a grease fitting..? I have to do this ANTI knock trick every oil change and if it was as simple as pumping a squeeze of grease into a fitting it would make life much easier.. Any thoughts?