DIY for Dummies - Int. Steering Shaft *Clunk* pics

Meegs

Take out steering bolt

BoltPin.jpg

Seperate the 2 shafts

Disconnectshaft.jpg

Stroke the intermediate steering shaft. Back and forth at a medium pace.

StrokeShaft.jpg

StrokeShaft2.jpg

Do not rotate the steering wheel. a few degrees is OK, just dont spin the dang blasted thig 360

ShaftPulledOut.jpg

Bolt back together

BoltPin.jpg

PRESTO no more Clank-Oh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stroke the intermediate steering shaft. Back and forth at a medium pace.

PRESTO no more Clank-Oh

what??? i guees you needed a break while doing the job?? :jester: j.p good info, would this work on a escalade since my moms truck is doing it too.

The only problem is that stroking is only a temporary fix. It will do it again. First GM had us lubing them, then replacing, then oops, the new shafts do it too, OK, let's just lube them again, now they have another new shaft. Will this one fix it? Who knows. I do know it has a plastic bushing of some sort inside. The problem is this, the splines are too wide and too few, years ago we had more splines and they were closer together, no noise. DUH!! I don't know why they just don't go back to the previous design from years back.

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff and great pics. I had my shaft replaced...wait a minute, I had the intermediate STEERING shaft replaced three times before the warranty ran out. I've lubed it several times but I haven't tried this wacking idea yet. My dealer tells me that GM does actually have a fix now, but they want to charge me $225 for it. Not good for customer relations. BTW, anybody have problems with eyesight, hairy palms etc. after doing this fix to their truck? :ughdance:

• 3 months later...

I had my steering shaft replaced (the second one) with the newest GM fix P/N 19153614. This is the latest and greatest they claim. It has been in for around 4000 miles and no problems. I was also a month away from going out of warranty and I called Chevrolet and let them know how disappointed I was in the steering shaft problem. I asked for an extended warranty for the whole truck, they didnt go for that :crackup: , so I was pretty determined with them to get a extended part warranty with the steering shaft alone. And they did it! So they gave me 70,000 miles or until 2010 whichever comes first. So at least if it starts to do it again the dealer will replace under warranty.

I have had the "pump the shaft" after my first steering shaft was replaced and it lasted about 2000 miles and started doing it again. With the wider splines on the shaft, that allows the grease to escape, hence more clunking again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

i put the latest shaft in my truck a few months ago.... i had no clunk until 10k miles then it started getting bad. since replacing it, i have not had any issues. its been 12k miles since. id say just get the new one. its not going to start clunking again.