110 octane?

How much of a difference does race gas do?

Went out to the street races 2 weeks ago and I met this really nice guy his name is chad and he has a 5.3 ec silverado . He has headers, msd ignition, plugs, wires, efans, CAI and a predator programmer... and a removed tailgate... well that time that we raced I barely beat him by half a truck length.

This last saturday we ended up seeing each other again and he came back with 110 octane gas from our local airport.

And we line up and bam he beats me by a trucklength by 100 mph!!!

Does 110 octane really make that MUCH of a difference!???

If so im gonna go buy a few gallons myself and show him whats up!

:yellow_loser:

Edited by Z4pp (see edit history)

I use VP LEADED 110 and it smells great and I run more consistent. As for the performance, I have no proof of better performance other than it doesn't ping and it's consistent. Be sure to use unleaded unless you don't have cats!!! You'll screw them up if you use leaded.

Depends on whats done to the motor. On a stock genIII engine? yeah, you could pick up a tenth of a second maybe with the right tune. The key to higher octane is advancing the timing to take advantage of it. If you put premium in a stock SSS and then 110 octane, you won't notice much of a difference. Now advance the timing 5-10degrees, it will knock like hell and lose power, put the 110 in, knock goes away and you can take advantage of the restored power at that timing advance. I would run 93 octane in my 355ci 1978 Z28 I had on 11.5:1 compression. I had to run 6deg initial advance and 19degrees full if I recall correctly. I put 110 leaded octane in, I could turn it up and no knock or ping. Awesome power difference. The car wouldnt break them lose with 93 octane in thrid gear. With 110, it would put the car sideways. I dropped .7 seconds with timing, octane change, and slicks.

I remember years ago when I had a 70 Chevelle SS with an LS6, I could run more timing with no ping if I filled it up with "Trick" racing gas - which I think was around 100 or 105 octaine. It cost what seemed a fortune at the time, $4.xx/gallon, but it sure ran nice.

lead isnt a great cobo with fuel injectors either.

i will most likly run leaded fuel one of these days.

Huh? I thought it only burned up the cats and F'd with the computer if not tuned? :dunno: I know all of the fuel injected stock eliminater guys use it and have no injector issues that I've ever heard of.

Leaded fuel will ruin cats and burn out O2 sensors for sure. It will also eventually clog injectors, which those can just be cleaned and they will be ok. Not to mention the fact it is illegal to run it in cars driven on the street in some states and if caught it is min. $500 fine (likelt never will get caught, but its there if they want to harass you.

put simply octane is what keeps the fuel from detonating before the piston fully compresses. the higher the octane the more compression and higher temp you can run. when the fuel gets too hot and detonates before the piston is fully compressed you will hear knocking (ping) causing the engine ALOT of problems, so with the advaced timing it would help but since he is using a handheld it is doubtful he got a new tune (sounds like you got hustled or he raced poorly before)

I remember years ago when I had a 70 Chevelle SS with an LS6, I could run more timing with no ping if I filled it up with "Trick" racing gas - which I think was around 100 or 105 octaine. It cost what seemed a fortune at the time, $4.xx/gallon, but it sure ran nice.
:withstupid: I ran it in my GTO years ago. Ran kick ass with some VP C12, and smelled good too.