Tru-Cool MAX or B&M 70274 trans cooler

the TBTC and the B&M tranny cooler

I would run the TBTC first with the stock cooler for a week or two, get a real good idea of what the temp would be and if it is 160 and under then leave it alone; if it's borderline 160 or higher than yes your truck needs to upgrade to the B&M. But if it runs cool enough with the stock cooler I vote that you return the B&M and spend the money on something else...

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I just ordered mine with the external bypass since we have harsh winters!

With the the spring time around the corner I saw my temp going at 195 when in traffic.

I let the winter go through but It's now time to lower temp!

And with the cold winter we have here, man even with the stock cooler the tranny would stay at 32 for a long time!

i have the external bypass but didn't hook it up right now. However in winter i think i will. We had a day here at 27 degrees and on the highway the trans never got over 85. Not sure what the lower limit of the "safe" operation range is but 85 has to be close.

Brad

I would run the TBTC first with the stock cooler for a week or two, get a real good idea of what the temp would be and if it is 160 and under then leave it alone; if it's borderline 160 or higher than yes your truck needs to upgrade to the B&M. But if it runs cool enough with the stock cooler I vote that you return the B&M and spend the money on something else...

Mr. P. :)

That's kind of what I was thinking. I think I'm going with the B&M unit for now. It looks pretty easy to fab up some brackets if I want to run a higher stall than a TB later. With the stock cooler on 85+ degree days in traffic I see temps creep up to 170-180+. Hasn't hit 200 yet, but that's just a little too hot for my liking.

hey brad what size AN fittings did you use?

I made the mistake of using -8 an fittings because the ID on the -8 matches the orifice size of the inverted flange inside the cooler fittings. If that didn't make sense...look into either fitting on the cooler and you'll see a flare inside and the hole that goes through the flare and into the cooler(were the oil flows) that inside diameter matches that of a -8 fitting. However i found out the hard way that you can not buy a -8an to a 3/8 hardline compression fitting, you can only buy a -6an to 3/8 compression fitting. So i ended up buying a -8 to -6 adapter anyway. At that point, you've hit your flow restriction so it makes no sense to run -8 line....just go -6 the whole way! I also found out that Earl's(holley product) makes the nicest -6 to 3/8 hard line compression fitting :thumbs: .

Let me know if you need anything else!

Brad

I made the mistake of using -8 an fittings because the ID on the -8 matches the orifice size of the inverted flange inside the cooler fittings. If that didn't make sense...look into either fitting on the cooler and you'll see a flare inside and the hole that goes through the flare and into the cooler(were the oil flows) that inside diameter matches that of a -8 fitting. However i found out the hard way that you can not buy a -8an to a 3/8 hardline compression fitting, you can only buy a -6an to 3/8 compression fitting. So i ended up buying a -8 to -6 adapter anyway. At that point, you've hit your flow restriction so it makes no sense to run -8 line....just go -6 the whole way! I also found out that Earl's(holley product) makes the nicest -6 to 3/8 hard line compression fitting :thumbs: .

Let me know if you need anything else!

Brad

bitchin' info, thanks dude.

Try summit or Jegs

Here is a link to my B&M install. Has part numbers for the fittings you need to buy. I used a small pipe cutter instead of a hack saw because I was worried about metal chips getting back into the line. Hooking it up this way still leaves the "cooler" in the bottom of the radiator in series with my B&M cooler. I think this may be good to keep things warm enough when it is cold out, but cool enough when it is hot. I seem to recall it only got up to 170-175 degrees going uphill in the Rocky Mountains pulling a 5000 lb trailer.

Installed my B&M Transmission Cooler

CRW_1116.jpg