Tru-Cool MAX or B&M 70274 trans cooler

Hey chase just ordered same trans cooler. know it comes with some fittings. how did you connect the hoses? looks like you just slipped the hose over the cut hardline.

then flared it. without a flare i bet the hose would pop off.

Actually, years ago I ran it like that on my GTO. I had the rubber hose pushed over the hard line a good 4-6", and double clamped. Never had a problem, but if I were to do it now I would flare it just to be safe.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sahhwwweeeet :thumbs: That came out really good, loved what you did for the bracket/mounting.

Mr. P. :)

so far i am very happy with the true cool. and it is rated at a much higher btu for cooling. The temp here has only been as high as 50 since i did it, but so far the trans hasn't gone over 120. with the stock cooler i was getting up to 170. Not sure about the B&m but the true cool is easy to adapt to AN fittings and braided lines to.

your right, the BTU is much higher on the tru-cool. do you think it is a major difference from the B&M were i am going to need higher BTU's with my shift kit & TBTC down here is Florida? I am not sure if i should sell this cooler and buy the tru-cool if it is worth it or not.

if your only using a TBTC then i would say no it's not worth it. There are some guys on here running some high stalls with a B&M or other brands and they are not having any problems....so i would say the true cool is more of an over kill and the B&M is par for he coarse. I wouldn't worry.

Brad

if your only using a TBTC then i would say no it's not worth it. There are some guys on here running some high stalls with a B&M or other brands and they are not having any problems....so i would say the true cool is more of an over kill and the B&M is par for he coarse. I wouldn't worry.

Brad

Thanks, thats what i needed to hear. :thumbs:

I took the lower bracket out that held the stock cooler in, then cut it up and straightened it out. came out ok....

P1010008Medium.jpg

P1010010Medium.jpg

P1010009Medium.jpg

I did almost the same exact thing (bottom bracket,) except I think I went with the 70264. I'm probably going to upgrade though because I can do much better temp wise than with that. It's still better than stock though.

Brad

That's kind of what I think. If you're running a higher stall then it would work great. I had the B&M years ago and it worked graet.

I did almost the same exact thing (bottom bracket,) except I think I went with the 70264. I'm probably going to upgrade though because I can do much better temp wise than with that. It's still better than stock though.
Just about anything would be better than that dinky stock one.

Brad

According to BManSS, using a TBTC with the stock cooler only raised tranny temps 20-degrees; if you are using the stock converter or TBTC the OEM cooler is fine, along with most other quality aftermarket coolers (avoid the 'tune and fin' type).

About the TruCool Max - it's a fantastic piece and I highly recommend it if you are running a higher stall converter, it will greatly help both with tranny life and more importantly ATF life. So far in Texas summertime traffic it runs at about the 150-mark; I am sure in the Arizona summer it would run another 10-15 degrees higher but that's still pretty good with a 2800-RPM converter. Last night it was 40-degrees out, and it took the trans a long time to warm-up to 100-degrees (like 10-minutes) and again this was my truck with the high-stall converter so on a stock or TBTC this is total overkill and your trans is way too cold. So if you are living in northern climates a smaller performance cooler would be more appropriate -OR- what I would do is use the TruCool Max and in the wintertime block part of the cooler off with a sheet of aluminum to raise the ATF temp a little.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

According to BManSS, using a TBTC with the stock cooler only raised tranny temps 20-degrees; if you are using the stock converter or TBTC the OEM cooler is fine, along with most other quality aftermarket coolers (avoid the 'tune and fin' type).

About the TruCool Max - it's a fantastic piece and I highly recommend it if you are running a higher stall converter, it will greatly help both with tranny life and more importantly ATF life. So far in Texas summertime traffic it runs at about the 150-mark; I am sure in the Arizona summer it would run another 10-15 degrees higher but that's still pretty good with a 2800-RPM converter. Last night it was 40-degrees out, and it took the trans a long time to warm-up to 100-degrees (like 10-minutes) and again this was my truck with the high-stall converter so on a stock or TBTC this is total overkill and your trans is way too cold. So if you are living in northern climates a smaller performance cooler would be more appropriate -OR- what I would do is use the TruCool Max and in the wintertime block part of the cooler off with a sheet of aluminum to raise the ATF temp a little.

So your saying i should be fine with my stock cooler with my TBTC? I was told before i bought my B&M that I was going to need a better tranny cooler.

So your saying i should be fine with my stock cooler with my TBTC? I was told before i bought my B&M that I was going to need a better tranny cooler.

??? So you are installing a Trailblazer torque converter, or a B&M torque converter? Exactly what converter are you using???