Tru-Cool MAX or B&M 70274 trans cooler

Hey guys

I'm thinking about getting a larger stall for my truck and want to be prepared for higher trans temps. I've looked over a lot of the other posts and saw how some guys adapted the stock lines to the 70274 cooler. I read a couple guys used the Tru-cool max but can't find any install pics or how they did it. So if you have the tru-cool please post some pics of it, I'd love to see how that big cooler looks and how you mounted it.

At any rate, i was wondering if any one replaced the stock cooler lines with braided hose? Or if anyone adapted braided hose to the cooler. I see the B&M has 1/2 npt and i think they make a 1/2 npt to a AN fitting right? so a guy could adapt that cooler to braided line pretty easy right? The true cool says inverter flare fitting....what the heck is that...is that where you just push the hose into the fitting to lock, and to pull it off you push the collar up and pull the hose out? Any one know if you can adapt a AN fitting to this cooler?

Also thinking of adding this in line to, B&M Transmission Fluid Consistency System (TFC), just for the addition 4 quarts. Any one use it yet?

Thanks Much

Brad

B&M 70274

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=produ...=28&pid=282

Tru-cool max

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant...Product_Count=4

Transmission Fluid Consistency System (TFC)

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=produ...at=&pid=283

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they have an fittings. with barbs so you can adapt a hose. my trans temps dont get hotter than around 150 with 100 degree weather. i hav eseen them hit 190 climbing big mountains @ 80 mph in the throttle alot. that was also about 103 out that day. winter time being lower than 70-80 out i dont see over 140.

• 2 weeks later...
they have an fittings. with barbs so you can adapt a hose. my trans temps dont get hotter than around 150 with 100 degree weather. i hav eseen them hit 190 climbing big mountains @ 80 mph in the throttle alot. that was also about 103 out that day. winter time being lower than 70-80 out i dont see over 140.

Hey chase just ordered same trans cooler. know it comes with some fittings. how did you connect the hoses? looks like you just slipped the hose over the cut hardline.

Hey chase just ordered same trans cooler. know it comes with some fittings. how did you connect the hoses? looks like you just slipped the hose over the cut hardline.

then flared it. without a flare i bet the hose would pop off.

My tru-cool max install:

TruCool1.jpg

TruCool2.jpg

ATFThermostat2.jpg

I already have a 3/8" tubing bender, so I bought a 3' length of steel brake line from the Oreilly's store (it comes flared at both ends) cut it in half, bent to shape, and the flared ends thread right into the cooler and I used compression unions to join to the existing tranny cooler lines; it looks totally OEM and cost under $20 for everything (line, fittings, aluminum brackets, hardware).

Save yourself the money and do not get the transmission cooler thermostat, it is not needed unless you live in Canada. In the winter. I ran one for over a year and it was a tad too hot for my liking.

If you are wanting to use AN line & fittings yes all that stuff exists you just have to surf through the Earls catalog to find the part numbers. You will probably need 2 3/8" inverted flare to #6 AN adapters, then #6 90-degree AN hose ends. Earls also makes #6 AN hose ends that are 3/8" compression fittings to mate to the existing lines, that would be the cheapest route.

Mr. P. :)

My tru-cool max install:

TruCool1.jpg

TruCool2.jpg

ATFThermostat2.jpg

I already have a 3/8" tubing bender, so I bought a 3' length of steel brake line from the Oreilly's store (it comes flared at both ends) cut it in half, bent to shape, and the flared ends thread right into the cooler and I used compression unions to join to the existing tranny cooler lines; it looks totally OEM and cost under $20 for everything (line, fittings, aluminum brackets, hardware).

Save yourself the money and do not get the transmission cooler thermostat, it is not needed unless you live in Canada. In the winter. I ran one for over a year and it was a tad too hot for my liking.

If you are wanting to use AN line & fittings yes all that stuff exists you just have to surf through the Earls catalog to find the part numbers. You will probably need 2 3/8" inverted flare to #6 AN adapters, then #6 90-degree AN hose ends. Earls also makes #6 AN hose ends that are 3/8" compression fittings to mate to the existing lines, that would be the cheapest route.

Mr. P. :)

:withstupid: I plan on removing the thermostat this weekend. The trans gets too hot for me. The trans temp went 2 clicks past the 150 mark recently :eek:

Yeah I was worried at the time that the ATF would never get up to operating temperature, but without the thermostat it runs at 130-145 and warms-up just about as fast as with the thermostat. Even better, since the tranny cooler runs 30-degrees cooler the radiator also runs noticeably cooler. :thumbs:

Mr. P.

THANKS A LOT GUYS, yes even in caps lock!

That makes the job much easier seeing how you guys did it.

The cooler came to my door last night and i'm going to install this weekend. I noticed that you guys have a black one, mine is just plain aluminum. Did you paint it? Can you powder coat it with out hurting the thermoconductivity? Or what about anodizing?

how do get the body clips off the radiator cowl...and still reuse them?

Thanks Again

Brad

Yeah I was worried at the time that the ATF would never get up to operating temperature, but without the thermostat it runs at 130-145 and warms-up just about as fast as with the thermostat. Even better, since the tranny cooler runs 30-degrees cooler the radiator also runs noticeably cooler. :thumbs:

Mr. P.

What thermostat? the coolant or the tranny.....i did know the tranny had one. I bought the cooler with the thermo bypass so my truck can still get some temps in the winter.

Brad

THANKS A LOT GUYS, yes even in caps lock!

That makes the job much easier seeing how you guys did it.

The cooler came to my door last night and i'm going to install this weekend. I noticed that you guys have a black one, mine is just plain aluminum. Did you paint it? Can you powder coat it with out hurting the thermoconductivity? Or what about anodizing?

how do get the body clips off the radiator cowl...and still reuse them?

Thanks Again

Brad

Paint with black BBQ paint, I had an extra can on hand so...

Shroud clips, I gently use two flat-blade screw drivers to evenly pry-up the clip but even at that after a few times they're looking a tad chewed-up.

Mr. P.

What thermostat? the coolant or the tranny.....i did know the tranny had one. I bought the cooler with the thermo bypass so my truck can still get some temps in the winter.

Brad

Don't use the bypass unless you live in severe cold climate, that's the thermostat we're talking about. You might be able to send it back for $15 refund/credit.

Mr. P.

Paint with black BBQ paint, I had an extra can on hand so...

Shroud clips, I gently use two flat-blade screw drivers to evenly pry-up the clip but even at that after a few times they're looking a tad chewed-up.

Mr. P.

Don't use the bypass unless you live in severe cold climate, that's the thermostat we're talking about. You might be able to send it back for $15 refund/credit.

Mr. P.

Ok i see what your saying now, i'll just leave it off then.

Thanks Again guys! the pictures of the installs are worth a 1000 words.

Brad

• 3 weeks later...