03ss want to get idea to mod it.

Im looking at getting headers, it has true dauls right now, im getting cold air this next week for it final, i just got the truck 2 months ago, and have been doing a lot of moving around for my job. Im looking around the site for ideas and ls1tech truck. I dont know if the 03 ss of any for that matter came with an aluminum drive shaft but i have one on it. So please throw me some ideas and thoughts and things that you have done with yours. Thanks to everyone to respond and will read :driving:

Edited by Ciaopeeps (see edit history)

Depending on what you are looking for and what you use your truck for, here are a few thoughts:

The best bang for the buck are a higher stall torque converter and a new tune. IMHO, the Yank TT2600 would be a good choice. As for a tune, the best is a dyno tune (if you can find someone is your area), followed by a mail order tune (Brian at PCMforless is very familiar with SS, and is great to deal with.), and a distant third hand held tuner(these cost the most and deliver the least amount of power). Another plus about the custom tune, besides more HP, is better MPG (I gained 1 MPG with my tune). I would not be surprised that with the combination of a good tune and a new torque converter that your 1/4 mile time would drop about .5 seconds.

Your choice of headers will be determined by what State you live in. If the emissions testing requires a CARB EO number, your choices will be limited to shorty headers, or mid-length headers (i.e. the position of the cats stay the same). Long tube headers do make the most power. Other factors are what the headers are made from and if they are coated. Having stainless steel, or ceramic coatings, will make slightly more power, a touch better gas mileage, and will last longer. I gained 1 MPG by installing headers. As for power, shorty make around 10 more HP, mid length 15+ HP, and long tube close to 25.

As for the exhaust, hopefully your dual pipes are not too big, which hurts low speed torque. A good modification to true duals is to add a cross-over pipe, which helps scaveging.

Between the air cleaner, headers, exhaust, and tune, I gained about 3 MPG, and a lot more power!.

There are lots of other things to do, like: changing to electric fans; install a new MAF (some people like them, some don't, I had one but could not really tell any difference); new cam; ported heads; supercharger/turbocharger; sway bars (highly recommend!); bigger brakes; transmission shift kits; suspension lowering; and .... all depending on how much you want to spend. There has been plenty of discussion on all these topics, just do a search.

You might also search performancetrucks.net for more ideas.