Raced a Vortec MaX

huero626

I beat quite a couple of Fords, they are really easy to beat. Except for that Lightning I raced it beat me. I've ran modded 4.8's and they don't keep up at all. I've raced some 5.3L and they don't keep up. Is your Vortec Max stock?

My Vortec MAX is nearly stock. I have a GM Performance Parts cold air intake kit, a GM Performance Parts cat-back exhaust system, and a Nelson Performance 91 octane tune with TM removed.

Even stock, it was pretty quick, although slightly hampered off the line by TM and had a terribly slow 1-2 shift (it took nearly a second it seemed). Even when I was stock, I would have crapped my chaps if a "stock" 5.3 outrun me.

Mike

Does it feel way faster with a cold air intake, exhaust, and the tune? I'm thinking about dropping a AEM Cold Air Intake and a tune.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it feel way faster with a cold air intake, exhaust, and the tune? I'm thinking about dropping a AEM Cold Air Intake and a tune.

It definitely made a difference. The tune alone took four tenths off the quarter mile time. I have not tested it since the CAI and cat-back were installed, but seat of the pants tells me they helped even more.

When I had just a tune and a drop in K&N, I could do 0-60 in 6.78 seconds at 4,400 feet elevation. They say that at this elevation, I am down 15 to 20 percent on horsepower over sea level. So at sea level, I should do even better.

Mike

Has any SS or Vortec Max raced a 5.3L here?

My previous truck was a 2002 SCSB with the 5.3, Westers Hot Tune, Throttle Body Bypass, MagnaFlow Cat Back, Volant CAI, and Cal Tracs Traction Bars. Hell ya it was quick but the first time I drove my current truck, 2005 VHO, before any performance mods, without any doubt it was quicker. Now that I have installed basically the same performance mods there is no way my 2002 could touch my 2005 VHO.

Well my Silverado is 2006 equiped with the 5.3L. It is 2WD, I got a 2 wheel drive so I could smoke the tires. Yeah, the flowmasters are my only mod for now. Is it possible for a stock chevy to hit 105mph? Because I heard a lot are limited at 98 mph. Yeah, I had the truck since new. I bought about a year ago. I raced quite a couple of Silverados and I have only lost to a Silverado SS. I smashed on a modded 4.8L and mostly any Silverado that tried to race me.

dude good run...put your truck on a dyno and see what it pulls, very well that it could be a freak, wouldn't be the first that I have heard of.

Has any SS or Vortec Max raced a 5.3L here?

Yes---it wasn't much of a race............I took my buddies '03 5.3 Silverado off the line and kept pulling until I put 5 to 6 lengths on him............ :chevy::driving:

i've owned a 03 5.3 xcsb 3.73 and a 05 5.3 xcsb 3.73 the first had a superchip, and flow, the second had just the flow, and neither one of them would stand a chance against my 06 V-max with 4.10's i've had all 3 at the same track (god i hate lacr) and even brand new my V-max got better times then either of the other trucks... now it's no comparison.

like nxtinline said i'd be willing to run'em if your not to far?.

It is very possible for a stock 5.3 to beat a SS or a Max. I owned a 2001 bone stock 5.3 with ecsb 4x4. I was looking to buy a 2003 SS and drove a new one that was a dog compared to my 5.3. I didn't buy it and ended up buying one from a different dealer. The one I ended up with would beat my 5.3 and totally smoke the other SS I looked at. I'm guessing that the other SS needed it's pcm reloaded.

I cant believe what im reading 5.3 vs 6.0 295hp vs 345 hp no way you whooped 1. I drive a 5.3 most of the week. Driving it is like a scooter my ss like a moto gp bike. Huge diffrence believe me the v-max had no idea you were racing because if he did all you would have seen was the bumper.

Well my Silverado is 2006 equiped with the 5.3L. It is 2WD, I got a 2 wheel drive so I could smoke the tires. Yeah, the flowmasters are my only mod for now. Is it possible for a stock chevy to hit 105mph? Because I heard a lot are limited at 98 mph. Yeah, I had the truck since new. I bought about a year ago. I raced quite a couple of Silverados and I have only lost to a Silverado SS. I smashed on a modded 4.8L and mostly any Silverado that tried to race me.

I thought the factory speed limitter was 98mph? If you hit 105, sounds like someone has maybe done some tuning...?

I thought the factory speed limitter was 98mph? If you hit 105, sounds like someone has maybe done some tuning...?

No, it has never been tuned, I know this cause I bought it new and all I have is exhaust. Even my homie with a modified Silverado couldn't believe I was hitting 105mph.

I cant believe what im reading 5.3 vs 6.0 295hp vs 345 hp no way you whooped 1. I drive a 5.3 most of the week. Driving it is like a scooter my ss like a moto gp bike. Huge diffrence believe me the v-max had no idea you were racing because if he did all you would have seen was the bumper.

Well I've only driven a 5.3L Chevy engine and that one is mine and it's feels really quick. Never driven a 6.0L engine. Well I was racing him because he told me If I wanted to race. And we raced and I was beating him but at higher speeds he would be closer, plus I had three people in the car, me and two of my friends. I also expected to get blown away. I also asked him if he was trying and he said yes, cause we talked after the race. Also I got the 5.3L HO. I also raced a Silverado SS and on the takeoff we were dead even but we stopped racing cause the lanes merged but I was impressed with the SS, it was a red one with AWD. The guy with the Vortec Max even popped the hood and it was a Vortec Max cause it said Vortec Max on the engine cover and it also said 6.0L on the air filter cover. So in total I raced a Vortec MAX and a Silverado SS. But yeah the Vortec Max and The Silverado SS are awesome. The guy with the Vortec Max said he was limited to 100mph. Are all trucks limited to 100mph?