Raced a Vortec MaX

huero626

The other day I raced a 2006 Vortec Max Silverado. I am running the 5.3L V8 in my Silverado and I was actually taking it out. I am basically stock for a dual 40 series flowmasters and the Vortec Max was stock. I also had two more people in my truck. On every take off I would take him. He would catch up though at higher speeds. It was a really nice truck though it was fully loaded and it was the same color as my truck, which is Graystone Metallic. I really like the look of a Vortec Max or Silverado SS, I am considering getting one of these trucks after I pay off my Silverado.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day I raced a 2006 Vortec Max Silverado. I am running the 5.3L V8 in my Silverado and I was actually taking it out. I am basically stock for a dual 40 series flowmasters and the Vortec Max was stock. I also had two more people in my truck. On every take off I would take him. He would catch up though at higher speeds. It was a really nice truck though it was fully loaded and it was the same color as my truck, which is Graystone Metallic. I really like the look of a Vortec Max or Silverado SS, I am considering getting one of these trucks after I pay off my Silverado.

Was he pulling a camp trailer? Did he have 50 bags of rock salt in the bed? Was he trying?

What axle ratio are you running? Do you have a tune?

Sorry, but the only way I could see this happening is if the Vortec MAX was still so new that it hadn't loosened up yet, and your 5.3 was a 2WD regular cab short box with 4.10 gears, the Flowmaster, AND a tune.

Or...a cam and stall might get you there.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

And you woke up when?

And you woke up when?

I was suprised myself when I started pulling on him. I'm pretty sure he was trying cause after we finished racing we got off and talked and he said he was trying. I ain't hating on the Vortec Max or anything cause I want to get a truck like that or an SS.

Was he pulling a camp trailer? Did he have 50 bags of rock salt in the bed? Was he trying?

What axle ratio are you running? Do you have a tune?

Sorry, but the only way I could see this happening is if the Vortec MAX was still so new that it hadn't loosened up yet, and your 5.3 was a 2WD regular cab short box with 4.10 gears, the Flowmaster, AND a tune.

Or...a cam and stall might get you there.

Mike

No, he wasn't pulling a camp trailer or 50 bags of rock salt in the bed lol. Well after we finished racing we talked and he said he was trying. I'm running 3.73 gears and no I don't have a tune and my Silverado is an extended cab with just dual 40 series flowmasters. It could be what you said that it his vortec max hadn't loosened up. I have also raced a Silverado SS and on the takeoff we were dead even but after the takeoff the SS just started to leave me behind. But yeah those Vortec Max look awesome.

I was suprised myself when I started pulling on him. I'm pretty sure he was trying cause after we finished racing we got off and talked and he said he was trying. I ain't hating on the Vortec Max or anything cause I want to get a truck like that or an SS.

Well, I'm not saying you are "hating on" the V-max, and I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I am just trying to understand how a supposedly stock 5.3 could outrun a Vortec MAX for even a short distance. This seems very unlikely unless you have a "freak" of a 5.3 or the V-max has something wrong with it.

When you say you pulled him off the line, it makes me think you have a higher stall TC, or a cam, or both.

Is your truck 2WD or 4WD? Are you sure the Flowmaster is your only mod? Have you had the truck since it was new?

These things can help me understand.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

Well, I'm not saying you are "hating on" the V-max, and I'm not calling you a liar or anything. I am just trying to understand how a supposedly stock 5.3 could outrun a Vortec MAX for even a short distance. This seems very unlikely unless you have a "freak" of a 5.3 or the V-max has something wrong with it.

So what body style does your truck have? Is it 2WD or 4WD? Are you sure the Flowmaster is your only mod? Have you had the truck since it was new?

These things can help me understand.

Mike

Well my Silverado is 2006 equiped with the 5.3L. It is 2WD, I got a 2 wheel drive so I could smoke the tires. Yeah, the flowmasters are my only mod for now. Is it possible for a stock chevy to hit 105mph? Because I heard a lot are limited at 98 mph. Yeah, I had the truck since new. I bought about a year ago. I raced quite a couple of Silverados and I have only lost to a Silverado SS. I smashed on a modded 4.8L and mostly any Silverado that tried to race me.

Edited by huero626 (see edit history)

Your 5.3 must be a freak. Maybe you should keep it if it goes like that. You will spend all the extra cash and not be any faster if you trade up to a V-max.

I know I would be speechless if a "stock" 5.3 with taller gears outrun my truck :eek:

You should be running about a 16 flat in the quarter with that truck. A Vortec MAX runs high 14's to low 15's. Your truck should be about 8 seconds 0-60, where the V-max should run it in 6.6 to 7.0.

I don't know what to say. Maybe that guy should check and make sure all his spark plug wires are tight :)

Mike

Your 5.3 must be a freak. Maybe you should keep it if it goes like that. You will spend all the extra cash and not be any faster if you trade up to a V-max.

I know I would be speechless if a "stock" 5.3 with taller gears outrun my truck :eek:

You should be running about a 16 flat in the quarter with that truck. A Vortec MAX runs high 14's to low 15's. Your truck should be about 8 seconds 0-60, where the V-max should run it in 6.6 to 7.0.

I don't know what to say. Maybe that guy should check and make sure all his spark plug wires are tight :)

Mike

I don't know my truck has kept up with cars it isn't supposed to keep up with. The only thing that sucks is that speed limiter. It dosen't feel like it takes 8 seconds probably like six seconds to 60. Even my friends were suprised we were right next to the V-Max. I want to get a V-Max cause it looks awesome and I want a truck with more options.

Has any SS or Vortec Max raced a 5.3L here?

I haven't raced one, but I've driven one and ridden in several. None of them felt even close to as fast as my Vortec MAX. I have lined up at the light next to a bunch of them, but I don't run 'em because they are fellow Chevy owners and I don't want to bully them. F-150s on the other hand, are fair game :)

Mike

I don't know my truck has kept up with cars it isn't supposed to keep up with. The only thing that sucks is that speed limiter. It dosen't feel like it takes 8 seconds probably like six seconds to 60. Even my friends were suprised we were right next to the V-Max.

That would make it a "freak."

I want to get a V-Max cause it looks awesome and I want a truck with more options.

If you are really interested, there is a guy on this forum selling a sweet V-Max truck. Here is a link to the thread:

2006 Black V-MAX For Sale

Mike

Has any SS or Vortec Max raced a 5.3L here?

I haven't raced one, but I've driven one and ridden in several. None of them felt even close to as fast as my Vortec MAX. I have lined up at the light next to a bunch of them, but I don't run 'em because they are fellow Chevy owners and I don't want to bully them. F-150s on the other hand, are fair game :)

Mike

I beat quite a couple of Fords, they are really easy to beat. Except for that Lightning I raced it beat me. I've ran modded 4.8's and they don't keep up at all. I've raced some 5.3L and they don't keep up. Is your Vortec Max stock?

I beat quite a couple of Fords, they are really easy to beat. Except for that Lightning I raced it beat me. I've ran modded 4.8's and they don't keep up at all. I've raced some 5.3L and they don't keep up. Is your Vortec Max stock?

My Vortec MAX is nearly stock. I have a GM Performance Parts cold air intake kit, a GM Performance Parts cat-back exhaust system, and a Nelson Performance 91 octane tune with TM removed.

Even stock, it was pretty quick, although slightly hampered off the line by TM and had a terribly slow 1-2 shift (it took nearly a second it seemed). Even when I was stock, I would have crapped my chaps if a "stock" 5.3 outrun me.

Mike