2008 Equinox Sport

haul@ss

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, alot of you guys are complaining about it being called a sport and complaining about the SS moniker being over used. You might be right about it being over used. However, most of you fail to realize that this little "sport" equinox is in the performance territory of a stock silverado SS...0-60 in under 7 seconds? Our trucks do high 6's 0-60 stock..so...next time one of you little stockers who dont mod pull up next to an equinox, you better think twice. See, alot of people said the silverado SS was also not deserving of the SS badge. We have proven differently through lots of modding research. But Silverado SS's are not taken seriously on teh street either. SRT's, Lightnings, SVT's, among others dont take us seriously until we can hang with them with thousands in mods.

My whole thought on the SS badge that GM is missing the mark with is make the SS badge worthy like the GXP badging is becoming in pontiac, or SVT is to Ford, Or SRT to Chrysler...Chrysler is putting out the Caliber SRT4 which for $23k, is a little pocket rocket. And it will sell well. Just like the neon SRT4 did for a while. The cobalt SS is no slouch as long as it is supercharged and with the new cobalt coming with the turbo ecotec 4cyl, GM is finally getting the hint. The TB SS was a moderate success. If theyw ould put 6.2L 400hp 6 speeds in a silverado SS, it would be a moderate success as well. And why not have a 270hp turbo or beefy V6 in a malibu ss? Hell, even the lastest monte SS was a half ways decent attempt with the FWD V8. Trust me, more is on the way too. With the RWD G8 coming, the new camaro, I wouldnt doubt we will see some nice vehicles platforms with performance levels like chrysler did. RWD Impala SS with 360hp? Monte SS with same? Possibly? Who knows, GM is just getting started again and the next 5-7 years are going to be amazing.

GM is pacing to set a new record by having won for two years in a row, North American Auto Show 2007 and 2008 car and truck of the year. Out of all manufacturers...that says alot, alot more than motor trend car of the year. In 2007, GM won car of the year with the Saturn Aura? and the all new silverado. This eyar for 2008, teh all new Tahoe Hybrid and MAlibu are up for the award. If they win both, they will be the first manufacturer to ever do it two years in a row, and htey have new cars coming out over the next three years that will blow competition away. 6 speed autos, fuel efficient 4, 6, and 8cyl with obscene hp levels.

In conclusion, I would agree somewhat that the equinox may not be so deserving of the SS badge, but I bet if it came with a turbo and made 265hp (like it does now, but had modding capability), and could be put into the 13's for minimal costs, you would rapidly change your mind.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dunno if it has been mentioned yet or not but the HHR has an ss version also. And personally I think that is the ugliest vehicle GM makes.

HHR SS

As far as the equinox sport goes, I like it. I tried to get the girlfriend to get one when she was looking into getting a new car.

Dunno if it has been mentioned yet or not but the HHR has an ss version also. And personally I think that is the ugliest vehicle GM makes.

HHR SS

As far as the equinox sport goes, I like it. I tried to get the girlfriend to get one when she was looking into getting a new car.

I've seen both for a few months. If they would make a HHR SS in a panel body, that might be pretty cool. there are panel bodys all around here for corporate use.

HHR SS

I've seen both for a few months. If they would make a HHR SS in a panel body, that might be pretty cool. there are panel bodys all around here for corporate use.

I personally think Chevy is getting SS badge happy. Ok Monte Carlo SS, Impala SS, HHR SS, TBSS, Malibu Maxx SS, Cobalt SS, SSR , and the best vehicle in the world the Silverado SS. That 's alot of SS'S, Maybe the have a Aveo SS in the works. :wtf:

Just because a car is capable of 13s in near stock trim doesn't mean it should get an SS badge, IMO. To me it has to have the whole package. I am talking performance, handling, looks, and comfort. If you slap a filter, exhaust, gears, and a little tuning on a bone stock mustang GT you can get high 13s. But you dont see it being called a SVT. Only the cobra gets that name, cause it has the BIG motor, all the suspension goodies, looks, and interior comforts that Ford offers. I do think that GM was right in giving the Ezuinox a sport name, but don't give it an SS badge please! I used to own a montecarlo supercharged SS. It was like an 05 or something, but that was the only monte worth the SS badge IMO. That car was loaded and could hang with a GT any day. I am with you guys in the opinion that SS used to mean a lot. I remember when a SS camaro, or a SS 454 Silverado was nothing to mess with! To me SS doesn't invoke the fear that SVT or SRT does right now. Sure GM might have won tons of awards over all the other manufacturers but that doesn't mean squat when you pull up to the light next to a SVT lightning with 390bhp thats gonna lay smoke all over you. I have owned several performance vehicles, and the SS Silverado is by far the slowest I have owned, but so far its been the best in everything except aftermarket parts and performance. There is a lot that GM should have done IMO to our trucks, but they didn't. Don't get me wrong I love this truck! But GM just needs to stop putting SS badges on everything and make it actually mean something. If they put SS on the Equinox I would personally feel ashamed. Not trying to flame anyone or anything, just my 2cents. :cheers:

I hadn't seen this thread until today...

Oddly enough, I just saw one of these Equinox on the road a couple days ago. It did have SS badges on it to (like the TBSS style). My first reaction was "WTF is chevy thinking? An EquinoxSS!" I went on and on until the wife finally told me to shut the hell up and get over it.

As out of my mind I was about Chevy slapping SS badges on the Equinox, which I now realize was likely the local dealer that did it, I thought it looked sharp. Well, as sharp as an Equinox could possibly look.