How to use Frigi-Clean?

misterp

OK I got a can of Frigi-Clean from the dealer to clean/disinfect my A/C evaporator, and I cannot figure out how to use it. There is a little hose & wand and somehow I need to spray the can onto the evaporator core, how is this done on a Silverado truck?

Mr. P.

From the Service Manuel.

Odor Correction

Eliminating Air Conditioning Odor

Odors may be emitted from the air conditioning system primarily at start up in hot, humid climates. The following conditions may cause the odor:

* Debris is present in the HVAC module.

* Microbial growth on the evaporator core

When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment. To remove odors of this type, the microbial growth must be eliminated. Perform the following procedure:

Deodorize the evaporator core using Deodorizing Aerosol Kit.

Perform the following steps in order to deodorize the A/C system:

1. Ensure that the plenum which draws outside air into the HVAC module is clear of debris.

2. Disable the A/C compressor clutch operation by disconnecting the clutch coil electrical connector.

3. Dry the evaporator core by performing the following steps:

1. Start the engine.

2. Select the warmest temperature setting.

3. Select the recirculation mode.

4. Run the blower motor on high for 10 minutes.

4. Locate an area in the air conditioning duct between the blower motor and the evaporator core downstream of the blower motor.

5. Drill a 3.175 mm (0.125 in) hole where the hole will not interfere with or damage the following components:

* The blower motor

* The evaporator core

* Any other operating part the of system

6. Wear safety goggles and latex gloves in order to perform the following actions:

1. Select the maximum blower speed.

2. Insert the deodorizer extension tube into the hole to the mark on the extension tube.

3. Use short spray bursts and vary the direction of spray for a 2-3 minute period of time.

7. Shut the engine OFF. Allow the vehicle to sit for 3-5 minutes.

8. Seal the 3.175 mm (0.125 in) hole with body sealer or RTV gasket compound.

9. Start the engine.

10. Operate the blower motor on high for 15-20 minutes to dry.

11. Reconnect the A/C compressor clutch coil electrical connector.

12. Verify proper clutch operation.

that looks like the procedure to me. i was just going to say that you needed to drill a hole to stuff the tube in. nice write up rays. Just a side note, ATP makes a product for this. i like it a little better cause it's also got protecting agents in it. Also if you pop the blower motor back, you dont have to drill the hole. you can get to the evap core from there.

that looks like the procedure to me. i was just going to say that you needed to drill a hole to stuff the tube in. nice write up rays. Just a side note, ATP makes a product for this. i like it a little better cause it's also got protecting agents in it. Also if you pop the blower motor back, you dont have to drill the hole. you can get to the evap core from there.
Pop the blower motor back?! I can't even find the blower motor :lol:

post-7217-1170790427_thumb.pngdown load this diagram. hopefully this will help out. you should be able to take the glove box out and snake your head in an angle so you can look at the evap core. :thumbs:

sorry first pic was wrong one the edit is the one you want. it's up now if your reading this

Edited by PladdPezzPunk (see edit history)

Yeah that first pic had me scratching my head until I read the page header :lol: Thanks man, will study it.

OK so you're saying I should be able to unbolt/remove the fan and then be able to douse the frontside of the evap core, right?

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Yeah that first pic had me scratching my head until I read the page header :lol: Thanks man, will study it.

there is actually a plastic cover over the whole assembly on the passanger side that will need to be taken down. (just clipped on). then you will see everything clear as day.

when you turn on the blower motor, you should have the heat on high. that way when it goes through the heater core, it will evaporate and some will drain. otherwise, the inside of your truck will look like a leaking washing machine out of you ducts. There is also a drain. that is where the evaporator core drips under the truck. (note the puddle under your truck on hot days is run off from inside your truck). This is the sweat that come straight off the evap core. when your defroster is on, it activates the ac system also to take moisture out of the air. that's why your windows don't fog.

Thanks man - step 1 done. I removed the blower fan control module and was able to coat every inch of the evaporator with the chemical; then I drilled a hole and used the rest of the can as directed. I also discovered the blower cage filled with enough dirt to grow potatoes so I cleaned it too and there is real improvment, definitely breathing easier :thumbs: Oh btw the decorative shroud/cover is not just clipped on there, it's held on with 3 trim screws and lemme tell you what a biatch that left-hand one is to get to...

Next step - I have another chemical treatment to do, I have to spray it into the recirculation intake and from the diagram I cannot tell where this is - would you have an idea where I can find this?

Mr. P. :)