How To Disable the "Door Open" Chime

dcairns

This actaully works!!!! No more chimes for the doors. Now I just need to be careful not to lock my keys in the car :D. A long time ago, I learned to keep a spare car key in my wallet, so I won't worry about that too much.

Remove fuse panel cover

HPIM0427.jpg

Loosen the instrument cluster bezel by pulling on the corners and then the middle parts. This made it easier for me to get the knee bolster out.

HPIM0414.jpg

Remove the two screws that hold the knee bolster.

HPIM0426.jpg

Pin and clip that hold the top of the knee bolster in place. Knee bolster comes out by pulling outward (directly towards you if you are sitting in the drivers seat).

HPIM0425.jpg

Knee bolster removed. The colored wires in the center of the pic are the connectors to the BCM.

HPIM0416.jpg

The connector on the right is the one you want. I had to pull the BCM down a bit to get the connector clear of the big chunk of metal under the steering column. Remove by putting small screw driver under gray plastic clip on the underside of the connector.

HPIM0419.jpg

Once free from the BCM, remove the gray clip with small screw driver on the two places where it clips to the blue connector

HPIM0420.jpg

Green wire in the lower left is the one we want. (took this pic after the wire had been removed)

HPIM0422.jpg

Coming at it from this angle finally worked for me. Notice that I chewed up the blue plasctic a bit, it seems to be rather soft plastic.

HPIM0423.jpg

Once remove, Put some electrical tape around the bare pin.

Reassemble in reverse order (I have always wanted to say that :D ). Be careful that the plastic pins are in their holes before you hammer the instrument cluster bezel back in place.

• 4 years later...

first off . . YAY for bumping an extremely old thread. . . .

Does anyone know this wire color for a '00 Sierra? . . . Its the right harness (beeping stops when I pull it) but I have no green wire and its wired slightly differently.

thanks for the help . . I have a Haynes manual but have looked over every circuit in all pertaining wiring diagrams and cant find anything related . . . (or atleast nothing that isn't cryptic)

on the 2000 sierra i have a 99 and it is the tan one kinda in the middle of the plug. i will get pin # tomorro

THanks man . . that would help . .sadley I came to the realization that the one I really need is for the "Lights left on" warning . . the pin would still be appreciated though . .

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So people have locked their keys in their truck. With my truck right now of the keys are in the ignition and I push the lock button on the door, they lock and unlock. With the wire cut will it just lock and stay locked? Is that how people locked them in?

I only ever use the key fob for locking the truck anyways.

So people have locked their keys in their truck. With my truck right now of the keys are in the ignition and I push the lock button on the door, they lock and unlock. With the wire cut will it just lock and stay locked? Is that how people locked them in?

I only ever use the key fob for locking the truck anyways.

I did this procedure on my 2003 and it worked but also disabled the "easy exit" feature.

Archived