GM;s finally has fix for steering shaft

04CHASE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i buy this shaft myself and replace it? im out of warrantynow and im starting to get a clunk again

Sure can....$54.54....Two bolts and 10-15 minutes later, you'll have a non-cluncking steering shaft......BTW...Mine is still clunk free..

GM PART # 19153614

$72.07 at gmpartsdirect. Hopefully that's the right one to replace

Edited by dawgbone (see edit history)

• 8 years later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but there have been some changes since this post that will help others.

First, thank you guys very much for this stuff, because this saved me a lot of heartache and money!

Ok, GM has redesigned the part again and here is the new GMPartsDirect part number #19329330
Link: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/19329330

Part was $67 plus shipping = $88

Details:

99-07 1500, 2500, 3500 Classic Fullsize truck upper steering column Intermediate Shaft This upper steering column intermediate shaft has been designed to replace your current steering column shaft that may be making a clunking type noise under the hood and can be felt in the steering wheel and/or steering column. This condition may be felt while making low speed turns or on rough road conditions. Intermediate shaft P/N 19153614 has been redesigned to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened Intermediate shafts and will not look like your original.

This INTERMED SHAFT is a genuine OEM GM part #19329330 and carries a factory warranty. We offer the best online prices with fast shipping on any order placed with us.

Should install the exact same way as previous posters and videos available.

• 6 months later...

Old news, but for those of us just getting our SS's and didn't suffer through the lube kits and first announcements of a redesigned shaft...

Which part # is REALLY the newest revision?

There's 19153614, and this 19329330 that Schmidt posted...if you notice, the description for 19329330 even is a cut-and-paste from the other one, with the 19153614 part # in the text.

If I look up INTERMED SHAFT for a 2006 SS on quirkparts or gmpartsdirect, it lists the 19153614.

I've got one clunking and I wanna replace the shaft but don't wanna buy the old one. Both of those part #'s do appear to be readily available.

Richard

I will look and see if I can find my invoice tonight. That was the first thing I did to my truck when I bought it two years ago... lol

Edit: the 9330 is the newest number. I would use that one. There were so many versions that who knows what the other number is. If you order one from a dealer odds are it would be the newest number. They wouldn't have one of the old ones laying around. When I was at the dealer we sold them daily. Man I made a lot of money of that stupid part.....

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

I purchased part number 19329330 and was told it was the latest. I picked one up new on eb@y for about $57 shipped. I also replaced the steering coloumn bearings 88963617 for about $29. Made a huge difference. Very simple to change out.

Thanks for the confirmations. Gotta say I've read enough even after the most recent revision, people installing it and a bit later the clunking comes back. Wonder if it's still a shaft problem or that they neglected to do the bearing, too.

Richard

I replaced mine almost 2 years ago and it has been fine... fingers crossed! Very rarely when I was at the dealer did we replaced the bottom bearing. I think the updated shaft finally fixed the problem.