GM;s finally has fix for steering shaft

04CHASE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Went to Martin Cheverolet today and the service writer told me without looking up any part #'s that the steering shaft is on national back order. When I got home I called the parts center there and he told me he had it in stock. Then I called the next closest dealer and they also have this part in stock. This is so frustrating. What is up with GM?

• 2 months later...

mine finally started developing the clunk for the first time since i bought it about 1000 miles ago. its going in for the replacement shaft and an alignment on Tues. a buddy of mine has an 05 2500 HD and said that after paying about $200 for his replacement about 5 months ago, the clunk has returned.

anyone else have this issue since replacement?

so the clunk keeps coming back after you put them on. well there goes that one. i was going to get it done as well but after people started to say that it came back, i changed my mind. the clunking really isn't that bad though, mine is a slight clunk or tapping on the steering wheel. its bearable

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

LANNAN CHEVROLET, WOBURN MASS. had mine installed today. they were supposed to do an alignment too, but they "didn't have the attachments for 22" rims" on the alignment equipment. in fact, the attachments that they had (and according to the sevice rep) only fit 17" rims. I told him that I was SOL even if I was stock then since the SSS comes with 20"rims. he said he knew this and they have been trying to get larger ones.

needless to say. I woke up at 6am and got to the dealer at 7:08am. the service dept opens at 7:30am. I left the dealer at 10:30am to head to work (waiting 3+ hrs) and my truck was still in the service lot. I start work at 11am and after waiting 2 1/2hrs, I drove by and my truck was moved inside. I was finally called alittle after 5pm that my truck was done without the alignment.

• 2 months later...

ordered the shaft from gm parts direct ... $64 shipped.... swapped the shafts on 10-3-07... took no time to do... 2 15mm bolts n done.... drove down to philly n back... no clunks no problems... w/ about 600 miles on the new shaft over the week no noises so far hopefully thats it.... thanx for postin the info about the new part and part numbers guys.....

• 2 weeks later...

well guys I took my sss to the dealer about 3 or 4 months ago for the clunk, and they replace the shaft. Now about 4 weeks ago my Power steering started to make noise like it was straining to turn, even on normal turning. Got to be so bad that my girlfriend even said something to me about it. The only way I can describe the noise is that it is like turn the wheel from lock to lock and holding it there and that is the noise I hear just driving around town.

SO I took it in to the dealer today and they changed the steering gear box...go figure. Long story short, I drove home and the noise is still there and to top it off, the clunk is back in the column...

Has anyone else had this problem with the clunk coming back? Has anyone else had the noise in the power steering? Just looking for some info from others, if it is even worth taking back to GM. I hate going there. Was there for 4 hours today and no one had answers for me until I started to get a little angry.

thanks

Bryan

I replaced mine with the updated part just yesterday. I just cannot see where the clunk was coming from. Maybe the shaft was bouncing around from the rubber mount that it's pressed into. As the new one is solid steal with no rubber mount. To be honest, I was exspecting the shaft to not be able to slide very well and where the clunk was coming from, but that wasn't the case. I usually have a good understanding of how things work, but this truly puzzled me, and I had my doubts. But go figure, replacing the shaft did in fact get rid of the clunk.

Can everyone confirm that their new shaft is pressed into solid steel, and does not have the rubber mount?

USMC....it's probably your pump, and not your box. Why they would even think to replace the box is beyond me. Did they at least replace the fluid? Is the fluid low? Is it overfilled? Is the fluid dirty? If it is low or high, check the rack for leaks. It should jump out at you. The intermediate shaft would have nothing to do with the pump, or the noise you're hearing. Nor would it cause any damage to your power steering. The mechanics that replaced your shaft would have something to do with it though.

Edited by dawgbone (see edit history)

I had mine done at the dealership they said it would $200, but they ended up not charging me anything since it had only been about 1 year since I had it replaced before. The service tech did say that this was supposed to be a fix to last and I hope so because replacing the sterring shaft every 10-15k is bull. So far so good since its been fixed. Its nice not hearing that chunking every time I turn the wheel.