Big 3 DONE the right way

So I know that you all are gonna want pics up but I dont have any yet. I will get them this weekend. But I did a Crazy job doing the the "big three" tonight after work. I also did Twin Optima Batteries under the hood. I called the chevy dealer and found a battery tray that goes on the passenger side by the firewall. I upgraded all the cables. 0 gauge cable charging both batteries, 0 gauge grounds to the alternator bolts, and 0 gauge grounding leads right to the frame.!! It seems to run so much smoother. the voltage is rock solid at 14.3. i used streetwires power wire and terminals throughout the whole install. I know I will get pics up asap!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also recently did it and i also was pretty proud of the work i did. here is a shot of the battery, i wish it was able to retain the stcok brace though

i did 1/0 gauge to the battery top the starter to the fuse distribution block . and also a 1/0 to the ground battery to the frame and i beleive the engine block. and then 4 gauge from the 1/0 gauge to the alternator. definalty solid 14 + volts all the time.

DSC00157.jpg

I do agree, I wanted to use the factory brace. i was hoping i could. but I cut off the firewall side and painted the rough edge with some touch up paint and then put the bolts back into the holes on the fender and put nuts on them so it doesnt look "unfinished"

I didnt isolate the batteries either. it crossed my mind but I didnt want the .5 volt drop from a isolater, and didnt want the 200amp relay going bad like it does on my car yearly. these are both brand new red tops so there should not be a problem there. I also send my engine covers in to be painted red. I am excited!!

Part numbers for the parts needed for this dual battery tray. it goes up by the firewall in the corner on the passenger side.

356668 is the clamp for the battery hold down. $8.60

11509853 is the bolt to hold the clamp down $.94

15245618 is the bracket itself. $29.77

now why cant Gm just box it as a package? Oh well any how hope this helps you all out.

• 2 weeks later...
i did the big 3 yesterday.i have to admit at idle and driving no stereo on it did make a difference.but as soon as the tvs come on and the bass hits its all dimm..time for an alternator!!!

I would suggest a larger bank of batteries rather than a HO alt.

I HAVE 2 YELLOW TOPS,A 1 FARAD ROCKFORD CAP AND A WHOLE LOTTA 1/0 WIRE AND IT DIMMS..

NO WAY ITS BATTERY TIME GOT A 275AMP COMING $305 SHIPPED

Dump the capacitor. It is totally worthless unless you want to remove A/C ripple from your alt to improve SQ. The cap is fully discharged on the first hit of the amps and just adds resistance to your set-up especially with the level of capacitance you are using. Others (as well as you) may disagree however I have had alot of R&D with caps and large current draw audio systems but do not want to get into this right now.

If your head unit dims upon a "bass hit" you may wish to pull the ground wire from the wire harness and ground it to the "firewall" at a length of no more than 18 inches with a heavy gauge wire.

I am not saying you shouldn't have a HO alt or even an external adjustable regulator, as I feel they are necessary at a certain level, just stating my opinion. Please do not yell.

Not sure if you recall who Alma and Patrick Gates are but they had some 50 1 farad caps for their SPL Bronco that were just for show (had nothing to do with their functional system). Rockford insisted in their sponsorship that they display their products wether used or not ;) Go to a triple point dB Drag racing event and look/talk to anyone who has been doing it for a long time and ask their opinion on caps. You will even see most do not even use fuses,...we didn't either. While you are at one of these events, talk to Wayne Harris and ask him his opinion on capacitors in this application,...while you are at it, ask him how he designed your cap and what the intended application was really for and what RF marketed it for.

Good luck with your new alt, did you get an adjustable external regulator?

I just use the cap for my 4 channel amp not on my sub amp.and your right normal caps do drain after first hit this one is an intella cap or something like that (ellegedly) it only uses what it needs instead of draining all at once it a few years old.and no my head unit dont dim just everything else related to the truck headlights,dome,ect. and i can hear the bass notes dip in pressure as well.i did get the reg. too hopfully it will get me knockin again.

i kinda got a little knowledge in this i was a dg drag racing world record holder in 99&2k with my 64 impala sponsered by cerwin vega and crossfire thansk for the input though

Edited by HOD954 (see edit history)

i kinda got a little knowledge in this i was a dg drag racing world record holder in 99&2k with my 64 impala sponsered by cerwin vega and crossfire thansk for the input though

Cool. I built the first 2 sub WRH as well. We took the title in 99 as well (Team Hertz). 1999 world champs You may also know how we get rental vehicles and build the competition car the day of the show under Carlos Alexis Lopez's name from PR. Since it costs so much money to bring his car over here, we use equipment given to us by the manufacturers. Its alot of work but the fun is there.

You must also have a good relationship with John Fairchild since you were sponsored by CV. Did he design your enclosure? John is a good guy and I applaud his efforts with the stroker but there are much better drivers out there now. If the high frequency tones (over 200Hz) was still allowed, the stroker will be king. Do you have any relationship with Jay Lovelace? If you do, I want to know what he sprayed in his cabin in 98 during the final run. I have it on video and it is terrible.

I have since gotten out of the hobby since it is really a small area. When it stops being fun, you know it is time to move on.

yeah when i was in it was ken koga with cv cool cat.and the crossfire guys were from overseas could barely speak english.they took us out in daytona and its customary for them to drink when you do i got them little china men hammered. :lol::lol: i do remember the building of those rentals some trick stuff pulled off to do that congrats...and dont feel bad im not even close to being in as deep as we used to either probably a good thing that was one pricey hobby...

HA! Koga,...haven't heard that name in a long time. He cracked me up. During the 98 world finals he came up to us and told us to adjust the excursion on the strokers to 5/8" using the set screw. It did nothing. Seeing him "intoxicated" was a sight :ughdance: I swear his eyes are going to pop out of his head!

Anyway,...BACK ON TOPIC. I plan on doing the big 3 upgrade with an optima in the future. I have used Stinger wire in the past however is anyone going the extra mile and using the new radio shielded oxygen barier core stuff?