LQ4 vs LQ9

MSNttF

The LQ9 head has a D-port exhaust, and flows better on both the intake and exhaust. It is the larger chamber version of the ls-6 cylinder head. The LQ4 head is the large chamber (71cc) version of the ls-1 head (66cc). I have a 2001 GMC Denali pickup. The main difference between it and the SS is the cylinder head. I have run the SS, it is noticeably quicker.

The LQ9 head has a D-port exhaust, and flows better on both the intake and exhaust. It is the larger chamber version of the ls-6 cylinder head. The LQ4 head is the large chamber (71cc) version of the ls-1 head (66cc). I have a 2001 GMC Denali pickup. The main difference between it and the SS is the cylinder head. I have run the SS, it is noticeably quicker.

Totally wrong information. Just about everyone on this site has casting 317 heads on their LQ9 SS trucks. Thats the same casting as the Denali, HD pickup, Escalade, etc.... There is no physical difference between the heads on a denali and the SS or the escalade. All have the same 71cc chambers and D shaped exhaust ports similar to the LS6 head.

:chevy:

I was curious because I am buying a new truck soon and I like the quadrasteer, but it seems that the engine in the SS would be the better choice. I was just trying to get all the facts before I made my decision, and all of you have been a great help.

One thing you need to look at is how often are you going to need the quadrasteer? Compared to how often do you NOT haul a trailer. We haul a trailer about 10 times a year and not for many miles at a time. Unless you're maneuvering a large trailer through tight city streets on a daily basis, or hauling ass down the freeway with a 30' trailer all the time, I don't consider it worth the $4500 or more for the quad. Might better spend that on MODS for your new SS. Just my opinion. :)

I do tow my boat quite a bit to the lake and back, which is about 45 min each way. Every year I tow it from Phoenix to northern Michigan and back which is about 2200 miles each way. Its a big boat, so quadrasteer is something that interests me, but I have done without it in the past and can probably do without it in the future. But my biggest concern is with the aftermarket and I just wanted to know if im going to get more performace for the money with the SS vs the Denali.

From what I've heard, the SS is quicker. I'm also a big fan of Quadrasteer. Normal extended cabs take too much space to turn for my liking.

I'd sware the Quadrasteer truck I drove handled better than my 2dr Tahoe.

I'd say go for looks. Both look great to me.

The Denali interior is sweet. Plus it has color options.

The SS has the low and fast look plus 20s

If it was my choice I would go for looks. Then weigh the grand or so difference in price versus having Quadrasteer.

I think the towing and payload is the same, but you might want to check.

As for performance capability of the LQ4...

Lingenfelter Sierra C3 6.0L SC

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...1&page_number=1

"GMC C3s are amazingly quick for their girth, but the LPE mods bring the two-and-a-half-ton beast down to Corvettelike acceleration. The 60-mph sprint goes from 7.8 seconds in the stock GMC to 4.7--matching the quickest stock non-Z06 Vette we've ever tested. And 100 mph whooshes by in only 12.7 seconds--10.7 seconds sooner than a stock C3, just a shade slower than the last non-Z06 Corvette we tested, a 1998 model that performed the feat in 11.0 seconds (C/D, August 1998). The LPE C3 also nearly equals that Vette's quarter-mile pass with a 13.3-second run at 102 mph vs. 13.1 seconds at 111 for the Vette. Top speed is still artificially governed, but LPE ups the governor to 130 mph from the stock's 108."

Archived