Fix the steering Shaft clunk in 5 minutes or less

Bowtie70SS

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all this whacking and short stroking comments I have to go make love to my truck and see if the ride smoothed out! holy PUNANI it works. 15mm ratcheting wrench and 5-10 mins is all you need. bolt under the hood and one inside stroke it a few times and the lube smooths out the ride! just like the story of my life!! ANYWAY yes it does work. all puns aside.

great easy fix!!

lol... well i just got finished wacking off my truck...lol...

kept my wheel straight.. took the bolt out.. pushed in the center shaft..dropped the bottom shaft.. and commenced to stroking in and out about 10-15 times... just make sure you bottom out on the top stroke..pushing into the firewall ..and i guess try not twisting the shaft

guess what?... it actually worked!! i guess my truck released some of its built up tension...with the help of my expert hand massaging..lol...

no more clunking..seriously.. for how long..who knows?

Edited by ro9beam2002 (see edit history)

I've had my SS for over 3 years, and this steering thing has been driving me crazy for the past year and a half. I only found the SilveradoSS site today, and now I have a good fix to try! Plus it seems there are a bunch of nuts just like me around here. Thanks for the information. I'm going to try this next weekend. :D

Would someone mind posting a couple of pics to show where exactly where the bolt (s) are??

Mine has 26k on the clock and it's doing it. When you're in a low speed turn you can hear and feel it......drives me freaking nuts.

Thanks in advance for the helpful info!

Would someone mind posting a couple of pics to show where exactly where the bolt (s) are??

Mine has 26k on the clock and it's doing it.  When you're in a low speed turn you can hear and feel it......drives me freaking nuts.

Thanks in advance for the helpful info!

If you look at the steering shaft directly under the brake booster, there is a visible bolt going directly through the shaft. It holds 2 sections of the steering shaft together. It's easy to see. I did the procedure on Saturday, and it worked. I have just over 28K miles on my SS.

Hank