07' Vortec Max

zippy

Finally got to take an 07' Max to lunch today. Fairly impressed overall, but the torque management is terrible. The engine is torque managed to a rediculous amount and to top it off it's the first 4wd vehicle I've driven with traction control. I couldn't find the off button for that quick enough. The truck drives nice, but feels a bit big for a half ton. Overall I'm not sure I'd pick it over an 07' Classic.

I picked up a Car and Driver magazine at Wal-Mart last night. The new Vortec MAX trucks are HEAVY and SLOW! I guess GM decided to copy Ford and make the frame 400 lbs heavier. Here are some of the specs in the article:

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 143.5 in

Length: 230.2 in

Width: 80.0 in

Height: 73.7 in

Curb weight: 5600 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 7.5 sec

Zero to 90 mph: 16.4 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.7 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 15.8 sec @ 89 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 98 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 186 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.74 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city driving: 15 mpg

C/D-observed: 12 mpg

EEK! I am glad I bought an '06. Mine does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds at 4,400 ft elevation. The worst mileage I have EVER had was 12.5. That tank was all stop and go traffic in town. Oh, and mine weighs 5,220 with a full tank of gas.

I found the full story on line. Here is the link:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4X4

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

I picked up a Car and Driver magazine at Wal-Mart last night.  The new Vortec MAX trucks are HEAVY and SLOW!  I guess GM decided to copy Ford and make the frame 400 lbs heavier.  Here are some of the specs in the article:

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 143.5 in

Length: 230.2 in

Width: 80.0 in

Height: 73.7 in

Curb weight: 5600 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 7.5 sec

Zero to 90 mph: 16.4 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.7 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 15.8 sec @ 89 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 98 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 186 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.74 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city driving: 15 mpg

C/D-observed: 12 mpg

EEK! I am glad I bought an '06. Mine does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds at 4,400 ft elevation. The worst mileage I have EVER had was 12.5. That tank was all stop and go traffic in town. Oh, and mine weighs 5,220 with a full tank of gas.

I found the full story on line. Here is the link:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4X4

Mike

if you guys read the article it says there will be a 400hp 415lb 6.2 in the denali at the beginning of 07 and soon (i would guess a year?) they will stick it in a SSS! now that should kick some ass! :cool: heres part of the article..

In the beginning, the Silverado will be offered with three cabs, three bed lengths, two drivetrain choices and five engines. Bargain-hunters might go for a 4.3-liter V-6 rated at 195 hp and 260 lb-ft, but a vast majority will be powered by one of three small-block V-8s, starting with an iron-block 4.8-liter V-8 with 295 hp and 305 lb-ft. Next up is a 5.3-liter with a choice of iron or aluminum blocks in both gasoline or flex-fuel flavors. GM claims that eventually, all 5.3s will be made with aluminum blocks, but for now, it’s a matter of production capacity. All four variants put out 315 hp and 338 lb-ft. At the top of the Silverado range is a 6.0-liter V-8 with 367 hp, 375 lb-ft, which, like the 5.3-liter, features Active Fuel Management to shut down four cylinders and save gas when you’re not standing on it. At first, only the Sierra will be offered in decked-out Denali trim, with the 6.2-liter, 400-hp V-8 from the Escalade, but rest assured that Chevy won’t take long to launch an SS model quite with the same innards.

You know I keep looking at that new Silverado. I've come to the conclusion that is a "butter face." You know when a girl has a smokin' hot body "but her face?" The new '07 has nice body lines, until you get to that mug! They should have put the front end they used on the Avalanche. That would be a good looking truck.

112720061746380132.jpg

Just my thoughts - I had to share :)

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

I really want a T900 Escalade EXT, but I more than likely will not give up the SS. But Im going to give them 2-3 years to get all the bugs worked out.

Drove a Riptide Blue one to lunch about 3 weeks ago, feels like love :)

Just need more towing capacity for the boat I hope to get one day.

11H, when I first got my truck, before I loaded it with all the crap that goes into a truck, I weighed it. I was not in the truck. The only thing thing in the truck (that was not part of the truck) was the owner's manual. Here is what I got:

Front axle - 3,100 lbs

Rear axle - 2,120 lbs

Combined weight - 5,220 lbs

By the weigh (pun), the DIC said I had used 3.1 gallons of fuel when I did the above weigh (so there were 23 gallons in the 26 gallon tank). With the three gallons added back in, the truck would weigh about 5,240 lbs.

When I got the truck, it weighed 5,090 lbs according to GM's shipping papers. Since gas weighs 6.35 lbs per gallon (premium), I figure the 150 lb difference means it shipped with only 2.4 gallons of fuel in it.

My truck has every option except XM, OnStar, and sunroof.

I have probably added 150 lbs of aftermarket parts to the truck since I weighed it. See the list in my sig.

Other fun info:

4L70E tranny has:

3.06 1st gear

1.62 Second

1.00 Third

0.70 Fourth

Stock tires: 265/70R17 are 31.6063" diameter. They travel 99.2941" every revolution.

RPM's in gears:

In 3rd at:

55 MPH - 2,398 RPM

60 MPH - 2,616 RPM

65 MPH - 2,834 RPM

70 MPH - 3,052 RPM

75 MPH - 3,270 RPM

80 MPH - 3,488 RPM

In 4th at:

55 MPH - 1,679 RPM

60 MPH - 1,831 RPM

65 MPH - 1,984 RPM

70 MPH - 2,137 RPM

75 MPH - 2,289 RPM

80 MPH - 2,442 RPM

Speed in gears:

If tranny shifted at 5,600 RPM redline:

1st - 42 MPH

2nd - 79 MPH

3rd - 128 MPH

4th - 183 MPH

If tranny shifted at peak HP (5,200 RPM)

1st - 39 MPH

2nd - 74 MPH

3rd - 119 MPH

4th - 170 MPH

These are all computed with a 4.10 axle ratio.

Just thought I'd share my math.

Mike

"Just thought I'd share my math"  :icon_bs: ...LOL

isnt that called plagerisim (copy cat)

or did you really figure all that out ?? Dam you have free time

Plagiarism is when you pass someone else's work off as your own. I did the work. I like math. I teach math. I am not saying that someone else hasn't done the same math, but this is my work.

Mike

First post so hello everyone, does anybody know if the numbers given are with the 3.73 gears or 4.10. I keep reading all these reviews with the new v-max, and the one that interested me the most was in truckin magazine and they were saying the 07vmax was doing better on fuel than the dodge,ford,and titan. they also said it ran dead even with the hemi ram, but i'm wondering if this was with the 3.73 or the 4.10's. I got a 07 on it's way, and i'm not all that worried about setting speed records but decent fuel milage would be nice.

Oh btw, if anyone on here has a black 03 silverado ss, bought in Pell City, Alabama with a white scuff on the passengar side, you got my old truck. :cheers:

First post so hello everyone, does anybody know if the numbers given are with the 3.73 gears or 4.10.  I keep reading all these reviews with the new v-max, and the one that interested me the most was in truckin magazine and they were saying the 07vmax was doing better on fuel than the dodge,ford,and titan.  they also said it ran dead even with the hemi ram, but i'm wondering if this was with the 3.73 or the 4.10's.  I got a 07 on it's way, and i'm not all that worried about setting speed records but decent fuel milage would be nice. 

Oh btw, if anyone on here has a black 03 silverado ss, bought in Pell City, Alabama with a white scuff on the passengar side, you got my old truck.  :cheers:

The numbers from the Car and Driver test are most likely from a truck with 4.10 gears. The 4WD Vortec MAX Crew Cab trucks had 4.10's in '06, and I'm sure they are following that trend in '07. If you were to get the 2WD Vortec MAX package, you'd most likely get 3.73 gears.

Mike

First post so hello everyone, does anybody know if the numbers given are with the 3.73 gears or 4.10.  I keep reading all these reviews with the new v-max, and the one that interested me the most was in truckin magazine and they were saying the 07vmax was doing better on fuel than the dodge,ford,and titan.  they also said it ran dead even with the hemi ram, but i'm wondering if this was with the 3.73 or the 4.10's.  I got a 07 on it's way, and i'm not all that worried about setting speed records but decent fuel milage would be nice. 

Oh btw, if anyone on here has a black 03 silverado ss, bought in Pell City, Alabama with a white scuff on the passengar side, you got my old truck.   :cheers:

The numbers from the Car and Driver test are most likely from a truck with 4.10 gears. The 4WD Vortec MAX Crew Cab trucks had 4.10's in '06, and I'm sure they are following that trend in '07. If you were to get the 2WD Vortec MAX package, you'd most likely get 3.73 gears.

Mike

That's what i thought when i ordered my truck, come to find out if you get the max trailering package, then you autimatically get the 9.5 rear end, locking rear, 4.10, 6.0, and somer other trailering equipment, but you can also just order it with the 6.0 then you have the option of getting the 3.73 with the 4x4 which i think is about ideal for me, but i've already ordered the truck with the 4.10's so hopefully it won't be that much of a gas hog. my 03 ss couldn't get but 13mpg even if it was rolling down hill in neutral.