Bad power steering pump?????

nxtnlne

Truck has 6,000 miles on it and already problems. Last night about 2:30am when I was leaving work the power steering was not working. ON brake in reverse would not turn wheels so I let off and turned with light pessure as I reversed. This is crap.......Under hood I can see the pump was over full leaking on my skid plate. Anyone have a similar problem? I know when I take it in the dealer is going to claim its the 20's dvinci's. I got a road trip to Laughlin on Wed too....

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

I had a 1999 Silverado and I broke the power steering pump shaft. I was a little confused b/c the belt was still on and I could see the pulley and shaft spinning, but no power steering. The shaft had broke on the inside of the pump. Maybe that is your problem. Mine broke after slinging a real quick donut in the grass. I don't remember how many miles it had on it, but I do know it was still under warranty at the time.

Truck has 6,000 miles on it and already problems. Last night about 2:30am when I was leaving work the power steering was not working. ON brake in reverse would not turn wheels so I let off and turned with light pessure as I reversed. This is crap.......Under hood I can see the pump was over full leaking on my skid plate. Anyone have a similar problem? I know when I take it in the dealer is going to claim its the 20's dvinci's. I got a road trip to Laughlin on Wed too....

have'nt had that problem with mine either (god forbid :) )

but seen you went to laughlin on wendsday so did i :D just an overnight trip got back thursday night... had i known we could have met up and had a quick race :driving: that would have been :cool: my trip was'nt to bad only lost a couple bills between me and the wife :sigh: all things consdered well worth it :)

hope you enjoyed your trip.. :cheers:

but seen you went to laughlin on wendsday so did i :D just an overnight trip got back thursday night... had i known we could have met up and had a quick race :driving: that would have been :cool: my trip was'nt to bad only lost a couple bills between me and the wife :sigh: all things consdered well worth it :)

Yeah I made an appointment on Monday with the dealer well see what they say. The pump seems to still be working but its not like butter anymore. Superado your the smart one you went when there is no traffic. :thumbs: Were getting on the road this next Wed. going for thanks giving :banghead: , my inlaws have a place in fort mojave. Im diggin that scoop on your truck by the way can you send me some me pics. Oh and I'll keep an eye out for you :thumbs: !!!!!!! R U close to Lomita 90717?.........Thanks for the reply's fellas. :seeya:

Yeah I made an appointment on Monday with the dealer well see what they say. The pump seems to still be working but its not like butter anymore. Superado your the smart one you went when there is no traffic. :thumbs: Were getting on the road this next Wed. going for thanks giving :banghead: , my inlaws have a place in fort mojave. Im diggin that scoop on your truck by the way can you send me some me pics. Oh and I'll keep an eye out for you :thumbs: !!!!!!! R U close to Lomita 90717?.........Thanks for the reply's fellas. :seeya:

thanks i posted it in the appearance section a month or two back (mixed reviews) but i like it and thats what matters :) heres some pics.. if you want some more just ask and i'll snap'em.. as for laughlin it took me 4 hours each way not much traffic.. thanksgiving will be :eek: you should try to leave extremely early or late if at all possible :dunno: just my 2 cents..

i live in lancaster (antelope valley) about 55 miles north of van nuys.. i'm near lacr (bad track but it's local) i might go there wendsday i'd give you an invite but i know you got plans :jester: but maybe we could meet up at a track sometime.. are there any near lomita?...

post-8665-1163831560_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1163831585_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1163831602_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1163831645_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1163831663_thumb.jpg

thanks i posted it in the appearance section a month or two back (mixed reviews) but i like it and thats what matters :) heres some pics.. if you want some more just ask and i'll snap'em.. as for laughlin it took me 4 hours each way not much traffic.. thanksgiving will be :eek: you should try to leave extremely early or late if at all possible :dunno: just my 2 cents..

i live in lancaster (antelope valley) about 55 miles north of van nuys.. i'm near lacr (bad track but it's local) i might go there wendsday i'd give you an invite but i know you got plans :jester: but maybe we could meet up at a track sometime.. are there any near lomita?...

Thanks for the pics I like it! Yeah im thinking we will leave late Weds. it will probably take a while still but its ok. Lancaster is about 80 miles away from me and as for a Local track Irwindale speedway is the closest and its 1/8 mile. Hit me up next time you go maybe I can swing it!!!

Thanks for the pics I like it! Yeah im thinking we will leave late Weds. it will probably take a while still but its ok. Lancaster is about 80 miles away from me and as for a Local track Irwindale speedway is the closest and its 1/8 mile. Hit me up next time you go maybe I can swing it!!!

i'll definetley let you know next time i plan to go there..

enjoy your trip. :thumbs:

Well took it to the dealer and they were baffled????? "Did you put fluid in the powersteering pump?" "We are all scracthin our heads here cause we cant figure how it was so full?"! Should I have to add fluid to my brand new truck? I knew it was over full and the only thing I can think of is the genuises at E-Z Lube added it when I had the oil changed. But Im not even sure there that stupid. A new truck wouldnt need it and those guys really arent trying to check the wipers, wash the windows, vaccum out the car, check the tire pressure,coolant,wiper fluid,air filter and the power steering fluid. There like oil only ok great :thumbs: . Dealer stated pump is within specs :icon_bs: but is whinning a bit "we just couldnt get it to bind?" :dunno: Idiots. So they also had to order a heat shield assembly for my driver side as the tech never put all the bolts back on when they did the cattilitic converters. Sounded like a tin can with a penny in it rattlin. Oh and I also requested them to upload any new updates availible for my truck and he said I dont think there are any!!!! WTF I hate that SH**. :chevy: got to love it.

• 2 weeks later...

THIRD TIME TO DEALER.

Took my vmax to the dealer today because the exhaust was rattling like a tin can and the steering was still binding. The service writer called about 2 hours later and stated the exhaust was done but tech could still find no problem with the steering. So I went down there and had the tech come out to talk to him. So I waited and waited while the service writers smirked and gave dirty looks then he finally came out. He was very condensending and sarcastic he stated that he was the second tech to check the problem and found that on could start ups that a high pressure built up in the pump and caused resistence....I call :icon_bs: . So we went for a drive and what do you know I got it to do itbefore we left the lot. But for shits and giggles we continued down the road as I kept telling look its binding :dunno: . WTF you should have seen the looks on the service writers faces when we returned and the tech stated that I needed a gear box!!!!! :pop: . I hate going to the dealers its a bunch of bullsh*t.

WOW!!! That is both funny and good I guess. At least you had it act up on the test drive so u can get ur truck fixed!!!  :driving:  :thumbs:

Yes, but what a hassle. I told the writer that all the tech had to do was act like your in traffic and have to do a fast parallel park. The action of being on the brake and turning quickly caused this binding everytime. Three different techs. :dunno: Im just a little bitter because I work nights so getting up early screws me up good.

I also had them bring a rearend tech out because of the clunk I kept hearing from slack in the driveline. There told me they were busy and I would have to bring it in another day. I said :crackup: .I dont think so. finaly after argueing with them that I should not have to bring my truck in again and again and again and again. To get the issue fixed. Well when you decellerate 2nd to 1st and off throttle and wap it a little it clunks. Backlash, understandable but I figure the tollerance could be off a little in the rearend. But he told me thats its normal. Does every truck do this I said. well ahh he said no. So why is it ok for mine too? He says well I know what I would do is pull the cover off and check for shaving and check the tolerences. Then he said but I know how these guys are they wont want to do that. Can you believe this sh*t. Sure enough the service writer says well we will regrease it and it will hush the problem. they refused to pull the cover and check. Well if I get it back and it still does it then im going to start going over there head. districk manager, writing letters to GM, better business burea... :dunno: maybe it will work. I have bad luck at the dealers.