Steering Wheel Clunking Petition Y/N ?

perk03z06

Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my truck back from the dealer - they replaced the shaft at 13k under warranty. Not only is the clunk gone but the steering is noticeably tighter. It felt like a fat pig before, now it feels like an SS.

So I wanted to ask... Clunking aside, has anybody else noticed that the steering is just crappy when the defective stock shafts start to go? And is this a safety issue? If it is, then isn't a recall in order?

Lovin' my new steering .......

I have an 04 silverado. not an ss though, its a 2wd v6.....(i know pathedic). however i bought the truck with 19k miles, and ive noticed since i bought. dealership said to just seperate it at the steering shaft and stroke for lubrication....said they no longer offer grease kit....no wonder why import auto companies are taking over

• 2 weeks later...

well guys i installed the new and improved shaft about 600 miles ago... the truck felt so good and tight for about 200 miles... then the damn thing started clunking again... this is a total joke, the clunking is actually worse with the new shaft now than before... there has to be other issues going on here,and not the shaft , maybe the steering box or somthing... i really can not believe this crap, i have a 2004 sierra denali.. count me in.. have any others had any problems with the new and improved shaft? the stroking method lastled longer than the new shaft:O(

Edited by ro9beam2002 (see edit history)

Hi, Just registered on this site, but have been looking at all the problems with the steering shaft. I had a 2002 Silverado LT that had that problem, the dealer never figured it out. Then I bought my current 2004 Silverado SS AWD and it started doing it. First they did some grease pack which worked for about 5000 miles, then today they put in a new intermediate shaft and it seems to work......for now. This problem is very annoying. Jim

• 2 months later...

I bought the truck new in july 2005, and have had it in the shop 3 times and no one until i found this web site could tell me what was wrong with my truck. Techs in the shop told me there was nothing wrong and I must be imaging it. after all he is the "professional". Well, we must all be nuts. I can't wait to take it back now armed with this little ditty... Thanks