Steering Wheel Clunking Petition Y/N ?

perk03z06

Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?

• Yes
    • No

That noise drives me crazy. anyone know what exactly it is?

Im in for the letter too

2005 AWD SS 6.0 L

My understanding is that GM changed the design of the splines on the shaft to have fewer but wider splines. This condition allows the grease to work out of the splines. I also understand that GM has a fix coming out in FEB for this. I do not know if it will be warranty only repairs or if it will be available to all of us. Do a search using the word Steering in this forum and you will find a lot of good info.

Should be warranty! :smash:

The service bulletin is out now so I checked with my local dealer to see about the repair. You will only get this repair if you are still covered by warranty. No warranty no fix. My truck has 40000 miles on it so I get the Shaft but not the steering shaft. He said there is no recall so the repair would be at my expense. My dealer don't care and GM don't care . Wake up before we all drive Toyota's. Perhaps the petition should move forward and ask GM to recall or make an exception to allow the dealers to make this repair at no cost to it's customers.

Edited by SilveradoJim (see edit history)

I voted yes. if you need my info just shoot me a pm ill answer it. mine has been done at the dealer once but ive done it twice myself. being i used to work for the dealer here ive still got the stuff to do it.

Im in for the letter too

2005 AWD SS 6.0 L

My understanding is that GM changed the design of the splines on the shaft to have fewer but wider splines. This condition allows the grease to work out of the splines. I also understand that GM has a fix coming out in FEB for this. I do not know if it will be warranty only repairs or if it will be available to all of us. Do a search using the word Steering in this forum and you will find a lot of good info.

The service bulletin is out now so I checked with my local dealer to see about the repair. You will only get this repair if you are still covered by warranty. No warranty no fix. My truck has 40000 miles on it so I get the Shaft but not the steering shaft. He said there is no recall so the repair would be at my expense. My dealer don't care and GM don't care . Wake up before we all drive Toyota's. Perhaps the petition should move forward and ask GM to recall or make an exception to allow the dealers to make this repair at no cost to it's customers.

Where did you locate the TSB on this???

I believe if anything should be requested, it should be requested that GM does a VOLUNTARY recall on this problem. Since there are so many of these vehicles out there and maybe only a fraction of people that are complaining about this. Shouldn't GM just offer a voluntary recall? It's not mandatory because it's really not a safety issue. But for the customers that keep noticing the problem, it should be done free as a voluntary recall......

Toyota had a voluntary recall with the FJ cruiser tires. Not everyone got free replacements, just the ones that opted to bring it into the dealer......just my 2 cents.

I believe if anything should be requested, it should be requested that GM does a VOLUNTARY recall on this problem. Since there are so many of these vehicles out there and maybe only a fraction of people that are complaining about this. Shouldn't GM just offer a voluntary recall? It's not mandatory because it's really not a safety issue. But for the customers that keep noticing the problem, it should be done free as a voluntary recall......

Toyota had a voluntary recall with the FJ cruiser tires. Not everyone got free replacements, just the ones that opted to bring it into the dealer......just my 2 cents.

FYI, I have an appt to address the upper intermediate shaft issue, service tech at the dealer said they haven't had too many issues on it, I do live in a smaller area tho too. We'll see what happens.

GM does voluntary recalls for "customer satisfaction". I did alot of them when I worked at the dealer. Just depends on them.

Yea I'm in

Im in for the letter too

2005 AWD SS 6.0 L

Where did you locate the TSB on this???

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthrea...325&page=18

This is another forum so be kind and take a look at their rules. This TBS is also available in this forum. Just do a search for Steering and you will learn more than you want to about this problem. Find it here on SS forum http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...amp;hl=steering

Edited by SilveradoJim (see edit history)

I noticed a surge in posts since the new shaft came out ... which is awesome. I'm glad you guys are keeping tabs on this lingering issue ...

I'm scheduled to get into the shop next week to get the new intermediate shaft ... under warranty ... Hopefully, I don't get "The SHAFT" ...

I will let you all know what happens ... although ...

I do believe that GM should replace the existing shaft w/ the new design under "good faith" ... even if you don't have warranty time remaining.

If I come to find out that only those under warranty get the replacement, I will still draft and send a petition to GM about this ... IMO ... it's only fair ... why should the end users be responsible for poor design?

I will keep everyone in touch ...

When the day comes ... be ready to provide your contact info ... I have a feeling I may need it ... :thumbs:

Im in for the letter too

2005 AWD SS 6.0 L

Being just a regular kinda person that Aint got know Engineering degree or wokin up on the top floor of some Big three ,I would add a grease zert to the affected shaft,but hey what do i know?

Edited by BmanSS (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Good Man! I replaced a stering shaft at 14 000 km and there's still that klunk in the wheel ever since feels like the wheel has to be tightened down some... real pain when in a turn(usually wide open) and you're going over bumps.. it's hard to handle .. anyways i'm on your side 100% :cheers:

My truck is at the dealership getting the new replacement shaft as I write this. It is being replaced for free even though my truck is an 01' with 52, 000 miles on it. The service manager said that they are looking at each truck individually - Not replacing them for free in each case. The criteria he said they look at is the age of the truck, amount of miles and vehicle condition.

Got mine installed last Friday, drove about 200 miles over the weekend, no noise

:withstupid:

I picked up my truck on Monday ... so far, so good. It's kind of weird not to have the clunking anymore ... but it feels o so good! SOLID! :rollin:

• 2 weeks later...