Steering Wheel Clunking Petition Y/N ?

perk03z06

Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?

• Yes
    • No

I have an 01' Silverado with the same problem as described.  Has anyone tried or know anything about the aftermarket steering shaft that is described below?

I am considering buying it as it does not appear that GM wants to come up with a permanent fix for this problem.

http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductChevy.htm

Some members here have that and it did not cure the problem. It goes deeper into just the shaft, and also the steering box.

Kaotik1,

Thanks for the heads up. You just saved me some $$$.

FYI - I work out at the same gym as a guy who is a chevy mechanic. He wrenches for the local chevy dealer and he told me that GM is coming out with a permanent fix for this problem in Feb. next year. He said he did not know what the solution will entail or whether or not there will be a recall.

I will query him from time to time to see if he hears anything additional.

• 1 month later...
That noise drives me crazy. anyone know what exactly it is?

Im in for the letter too

2005 AWD SS 6.0 L

My understanding is that GM changed the design of the splines on the shaft to have fewer but wider splines. This condition allows the grease to work out of the splines. I also understand that GM has a fix coming out in FEB for this. I do not know if it will be warranty only repairs or if it will be available to all of us. Do a search using the word Steering in this forum and you will find a lot of good info.

That noise drives me crazy. anyone know what exactly it is?

Im in for the letter too

2005 AWD SS 6.0 L

My understanding is that GM changed the design of the splines on the shaft to have fewer but wider splines. This condition allows the grease to work out of the splines. I also understand that GM has a fix coming out in FEB for this. I do not know if it will be warranty only repairs or if it will be available to all of us. Do a search using the word Steering in this forum and you will find a lot of good info.

Should be warranty! :smash:

SSS members whom have posted to this thread:

I just wanted to let you know that I am going to hold off on this petition until I have received some feedback from someone that has the new steering shaft installed that is supposed to come out in Feb, '07.