Steering Wheel Clunking Petition Y/N ?

perk03z06

Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be included on a petition letter sent to GM about the steering mechanism clunking that is common on newer Silverados?

• Yes
    • No

• 10 months later...

ill PM you my info if needed. i cant stand the fact they fixed it at 33k miles and at 36700 it came back and they said o well. my truck sounds like a piece people constantly stare in parking lots like i hit someone bakcing up or pulling it.

05 silverado ss 2WD

I figured this was something we just had to live with. The guy that works on my stuff for me drives a chevy too and the first time i noticed the clunking i asked him about it. He told me there was no fix for it and all that could be done was to grease it and quiet it down for a while. My steering is now loose feeling. I know i am way out of warranty but i would love to get this problem resolved. Any info would be appreciated guys. Thanks

• 1 month later...

yeah i got it to my truck is a 2005 silverado SS awd with the 6.0 and i have 3 other trucks that have had the same problem a 2006 gmc 1500 4x4 with the 5.3 and a 2005 chevy silverado 4x4 with a 5.3 and a 2003 chevy silverado with a 5.3

I am in my '03 has this problem and I have had it warrantied twice and replaced it once on my own. My wife's '01 Suburban had the problem once. Out of warranty of course, I just pulled the shaft out and put in the vice and added the new grease and have never had that problem again. The SS is a different story.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2005 Ext cab Z71 That has the same popping noise. Had GM dealer look at it a couple years ago with 20,000 miles on it. Said they couldn't find anything. I guess I will give them another chance, the truck is still under warranty. I just wish they would come up with real fix.

• 2 months later...
I have a 2005 Ext cab Z71 That has the same popping noise. Had GM dealer look at it a couple years ago with 20,000 miles on it. Said they couldn't find anything. I guess I will give them another chance, the truck is still under warranty. I just wish they would come up with real fix.

theres a new shaft you can buy that will fix your problem. i dont have the part number but you can find it at gmpartsdirect

:cheers: I'm taking my 2003 in this week for a replacement shaft (they are nylon sleeved) it's the last/latest for the cure to this problem I will post the part number when it's finished . The part is right around $65.00 or so but will give all info soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here it is boys. I'd like to know who I could place on a letter to GM about the still unresolved steering mechanism clunking that is a common problem to all of our trucks.

If I can get enough votes, I'll draft a letter to GM with everyone's information so that we have a chance of seeing a fix for this issue.

Your support is of course, very appreciated.

If you vote yes, leave me your info. in a post.

Thanks!

I had this problem with my '03 Z71 and also with my 2006 SS Intimidator. I took it to my dealership and they fixed the issue with a new shaft knuckle connector (something like that, can't think of the right name) it was noted to me as a big problem and they covered it on both trucks as a RECALL