Best modifications

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QUOTE (blackhawk @ Oct 23 2003, 05:58 PM)

Krambo  right now possibly has the fastest non supercharged SS out there and I am leaning toward going the same route as he has taken and do a supercharger last.

Are you sure?

I posted this 6 months ago, but no one took the bait. Look at the last post:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...p?showtopic=724

BigTex:

No I did not read that thread… :sigh:

I was just giving Krambo kudos for what he has done thus far and is the same route I am leaning toward in the building process. :thumbs:

With all the bolt-ons listed above new tranny SC and nitrous what do you think the possibilities are for the SS??

Oh man, those are too many mods. A SC and nitrous with all of the other mods would make too much power. I don't think the stock block could handle it for long. At some point the bottom end would let go. If you are going to spend that much money, you should just get the block built for nitrous, skip the SC, and you could safely run a big shot and be in the 11s with a good transmission.

Thanks Tex :thumbs: that’s along the lines of an answer I was looking for. If one had the bucks to build a 12sec ride and maintain the stock engine what do you think would be the best route to take and still maintain longevity of the motor?

Here are my thoughts:

1.Cold air intake

2.ASM headers

3.High flow dual exhaust

4.3000 stall converter

5.underdrive Pulleys

6.Electric fans

7.LS1 edit

8.160 thermo

9.Comp cam

10.Heads

11.NX wet system 50 shot nitrous

12.supercharger.

13.New tranny

You think with the above listed parts that would still be to extreme for the bottom end??

I would like to have the supercharger for added power available all the time, but have the nitrous for the extra kick when needed…

Roughly the above listed parts would cost around $10,000 would a better route to take be to just have a built motor and tranny dropped in? :confused:

:cheers:

Don't know how the underdrive pulleys would work with the Supercharger. I have thought about that numerous times. Nobody on here with the supercharger has also changed pulley sizes. I kind of threw that idea out when I did mine. So you could go to $9800 :D If they don't mix.

Oh man, those are too many mods.  A SC and nitrous with all of the other mods would make too much power.  I don't think the stock block could handle it for long.  At some point the bottom end would let go. If you are going to spend that much money, you should just get the block built for nitrous, skip the SC, and you could safely run a big shot and be in the 11s with a good transmission.

This system was good for some solid 9 second runs on my C5 :smash: I agree with big Tex.. I like the Blower but NO2 is the best thing going IMHO

site1010.jpg

Thanks for the input MNC5… :cheers:

O.K. here it is…for the same amount of money to install a blower this could be the better route to take then?

Cost roughly $5,000:

1.Cold air intake

2.ASM headers

3.High flow dual exhaust

4.3000 stall converter

5.Electric fans

6.LS1 edit

7.160 thermo

8.Comp cam

9.Ported Heads

10.NX wet system 125 shot nitrous

Maintains the stock engine, tranny and day-to-day drivability, but has the get up and go to run into the 12’s??

Exactly. As you've seen, a Radix got Dcairns to a 13.97. He still needs the other mods to make the best from his supercharger. But, you could skip the SC and put the cash into mods that work well with nitrous and easily run 12s. This would be easier on the trans than a SC, because you'd only be hitting juice when you race.

It would help to have a more open exhaust system to tke advantage of the spray.

Thanks for you input Tex…

I am still waiting for flowmaster to finish their cat-back exhaust for the SS that should free up the flagellation a bit…

Blackhawk,

I am in agreement with BigTex. I think you would be better off with the Nitrous. There is so much that goes into supercharging an engine. The most bang for a buck on a N/A engine isn't the same for a s/c'd one. The airflow carracteristics/efficiencies totally change in a s/cd engine.

As far as your mods for the Nitrous, you have a good start. A few things I might suggest are this. If you are going with a true dual exhaust, I would invest in an X pipe. The reason I say this is you need to keep your exhaust velocity up (commonly missled as backpressure) durring non spary times. You could lose some low end torque by opening it up to much by not keeping your velocity up through the system, and that is where your power is comming from. Also, along with the exhaust, get some hi flow cats.....The headers you are getting, are they long tube? Don't waist your money on shorties. Not much of a gain for the money spent.

I wish I could help you as far as knowing what the stock internals of the 6.0 engine could take. That I am not sure of. If we were talking 5.4 I could but since we aren't I will have to do some reseach to answer that part.

Another area you will need to beef up will be the tranny. The converter is ok, if you don't plan on towing a whole lot of weight. A couple of things i might suggest in the tranny department is this. You will want to firm your shifts up. I am not a believer in upping line pressures and really steer away from it under hi torque applications. Get a different valve body/shift kit. Firm the shift up so your clutch packs arent spending more time slipping into gear between shifts. More heat and wear is done then, the quicker you are shifting the better. One more thing would be an added tranny cooler with a fan/temp switch. A must under hi power conditions. With that stall converter on there you will heat up in a hurry.

One last thing I would suggest would be a Wide Band 02 sensor. I have an FJO and would never be without one again. Always know your a/f ratios reguardless of atmoshperic conditions, and know your a/f every time you add a mod without having to take it to a dyno everytime you add something.

With a 150 shot and the other mods mentioned, I think you will be in the mid to low 12's depending on the day and track conditions. It will take more than that to get in the 11's IMHO.

Those are a few things off the top of my head I can suggest. I would be currious as to the cam and head setup you would go with. A lot of power can be made there as long as the right combination is used....Sounds like you have a good start though...good luck

ecm747x:

Thanks for the input… :cool:

I have the exhaust in mind that I will install and it includes an x-pipe as well. I already have headers; they are long tube and are made by ASM (Arizona speed and marine.) The headers took away some low range torque but moved torque up higher in the power curve; I can definitely feel the added hp/tq above 3500rpm now.

I do plan on towing a boat in the near future so the converter is still up in the air for me. As for the shifts, this is my daily driver so I will firm them up as much as programming will allow maintaining drivability and saving the tranny as much as possible. The SS comes with an external tranny cooler so upgrading to a larger radiator is always a possibility.

I am not too familiar with the aspects of monitoring and adjusting the fuel air mixture, but I am sure with the purchase of LS1 edit I’ll become accustomed to tuning when I am learning the ropes on what’s the best and fastest way to blow up my truck… :D

Without building the motor specifically for nitrous a 150shot is the max this motor can hold, but Woohoo is that gonna' be fun!

All the above listed parts are not something I am doing tomorrow but they are on my Christmas list… ;)

Archived