Rattling noise under dash????

Outsource

I had this same exact problem. I got so frustrated that I pulled my entire dash apart. I put wedge blocks of wood up under there anywhere I thought it could be coming from. What ended up being the culprit is the instrument cluster. One of the needles inside of it rattles. I pulled the cluster out and wahh lahh, gone. Sooo either buy a new cluster and hope it doesn't start or just turn the radio up a little bit more. I did manage to fix any other squeak with a wedge shaped block. I cut V's about 1 inch long, about 1/2 inch thick and tapered that down to a point. Worked for me and you can't see them. But the annoying instrument cluster is a guage inside of it. You can pull the screws out and leave it plugged in. Start your truck and manipulate it around with the dash pulled out and you can hear it in there. GM should have used better gauges in my opinion.

I had this same exact problem.  I got so frustrated that I pulled my entire dash apart.  I put wedge blocks of wood up under there anywhere I thought it could be coming from.  What ended up being the culprit is the instrument cluster.  One of the needles inside of it rattles.  I pulled the cluster out and wahh lahh, gone.  Sooo either buy a new cluster and hope it doesn't start or just turn the radio up a little bit more.  I did manage to fix any other squeak with a wedge shaped block.  I cut V's about 1 inch long, about 1/2 inch thick and tapered that down to a point.  Worked for me and you can't see them.  But the annoying instrument cluster is a guage inside of it.  You can pull the screws out and leave it plugged in.  Start your truck and manipulate it around with the dash pulled out and you can hear it in there.  GM should have used better gauges in my opinion.

So you're saying it's a defect with the entire cluster? So if I took it back to the dealer and had them replace it, I could still encounter it with the replacement, correct?

Did you order a new cluster?

Mine was out of warranty when I figured out what my noises were. I would verify that it is the instrument cluster before I ran it back to the dealer. It's simple to get out. You should be able to remove it in about 20 mins the first time, and maybe 15 to 20 mins putting it back in. I considered buying one off EBAY, but passed. It's trivial in my opinion.

Brian

i noticed a ratting sound to, it is  the brake pedal bouncing when i hit bumps, i take my left foot and hold up on the pedal and it dosen't make any noise, some day i will look at the bushings for the mounting shaft

I believe I have this same problem my pedal is so loose it's not even funny, it sounds like it's going to fall off.

• 15 years later...