General transmission info

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would my tranny be ok with a PCM tune and 50% TM removed? i was thinking of going with a wheatley tune and one of the members said to only have 50% tm removed.

I have not experimented with that on a transmission with factory shift calibration; I would definitely not go any less TM than that until you have a proper shift kit installed.

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a transgo shift kit on my truck and now it seems to shift even slower than before :shakehead: . It doesn't seem to slip at all while in gear but when it shifts it takes a really long time. I can't figure it out, has anybody else had this problem, and if so did they find a solution, cause I gotta get it figured out before I burn up the bands in my tranny. Any advise would be helpful right now. :confused: Right now being a newbie I can't make a new post for this so I figured this would probably be the best place for it.

I just installed a transgo shift kit on my truck and now it seems to shift even slower than before :shakehead: . It doesn't seem to slip at all while in gear but when it shifts it takes a really long time. I can't figure it out, has anybody else had this problem, and if so did they find a solution, cause I gotta get it figured out before I burn up the bands in my tranny. Any advise would be helpful right now. :confused: Right now being a newbie I can't make a new post for this so I figured this would probably be the best place for it.

Is it slow in all gear changes? or just 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4??? How's the downshift behavior? Did you get your PCM retuned yet?

Mr. P.

Is it slow in all gear changes? or just 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4??? How's the downshift behavior? Did you get your PCM retuned yet?

Mr. P.

At real low throttle I can feel it shift a little firmer, but when I get on the throttle it shifts real slow in all gear changes. It kinda feels like it could be the Torque Management kicking in, but I wouldn't think that it would apply enough to make the shifts even slower than stock. I haven't been able to get my PCM tuned yet thats workin into the budget for next month, but I don't want to burn up my tranny in the mean time. Also it downshifts awesome, if I kick it down at 30 it slams down into gear and takes off right away. I guess maybe I'll just have to wait and get it tuned and see if that fixes it.

At real low throttle I can feel it shift a little firmer, but when I get on the throttle it shifts real slow in all gear changes. It kinda feels like it could be the Torque Management kicking in, but I wouldn't think that it would apply enough to make the shifts even slower than stock. I haven't been able to get my PCM tuned yet thats workin into the budget for next month, but I don't want to burn up my tranny in the mean time. Also it downshifts awesome, if I kick it down at 30 it slams down into gear and takes off right away. I guess maybe I'll just have to wait and get it tuned and see if that fixes it.

I would get it tuned; if it were behaving like this for just one gear change I would suspect the kit, but since it is happening for all upshifts I would be more likely to think it was the PCM.

Mr. P.

hopefully i'm sticking this in the right place here... i see that the VHO and SS seem to be equipped with the 4L60... i'm honestly not sure what the nomenclatural designation of my truck would be, but it's a 2007 silverado classic 1500HD with the 6.0L, 4x4, and 4 speed auto. i was under the impression that since the truck is perched on the 02-05 (or so i'm told) 3/4 ton frame and the build sheet shows the heavy-duty 4-speed tranny (no specific model given) that it was the 4L80 unit. any clarification from those wiser than i?

thanks!

-mike

hopefully i'm sticking this in the right place here... i see that the VHO and SS seem to be equipped with the 4L60... i'm honestly not sure what the nomenclatural designation of my truck would be, but it's a 2007 silverado classic 1500HD with the 6.0L, 4x4, and 4 speed auto. i was under the impression that since the truck is perched on the 02-05 (or so i'm told) 3/4 ton frame and the build sheet shows the heavy-duty 4-speed tranny (no specific model given) that it was the 4L80 unit. any clarification from those wiser than i?

thanks!

-mike

Look in the glovebox, you will see a trim/options tag adhered to the door and on it will be the transmission code (M30/M32/etc). And I agree it is very possible you have a 4L80.

Mr. P.

• 3 months later...

ever find out what was wrong with it?

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Master P

I have a 03 ss with a whipple supercharger and would like to do away the the auto trans do you know if it is possible to put a 5 or 6 speed manual trans in the ss?

Thanks for your time

Absolutely; kelleyperformance did it on his truck, Radix with a 6-spd and he said the truck was an absolute monster. However he could never keep a clutch in it and took it back to 4L60. It is an expensive swap, and for what you are doing nothing less than a dual-disc $$$ clutch will work.

Mr. P.

Absolutely; kelleyperformance did it on his truck, Radix with a 6-spd and he said the truck was an absolute monster. However he could never keep a clutch in it and took it back to 4L60. It is an expensive swap, and for what you are doing nothing less than a dual-disc $$$ clutch will work.

Mr. P.

I'm new to this site and dont know how to make contact with a member unless they have posted a fourm

How would i get a hold of Kellyperformance to see what trans they used and if the clutch issue was due to it being AWD I would like to make my turck a 2x4 with push button 4x4 for the hard pulls.

Do you know if a push button transfer case uses the body control mod. to control it?

I fig i could take one out of a used 06 1/2 ton 4x4 make it easer tho do a dougt

Thanks For your time

• 6 months later...

Another educating and enjoyable read, sir. I just ordered my Black Bear tune last night, and when it asked about torque management I must have stared at the screen for about 20 minutes. I had no clue. I asked a buddy on the site, and they said between 50-75% should be good, so I chose 75% to be safe. I now see that I am going to need a shifting kit/servo next. Thank you so much, you are always so helpful!

Another educating and enjoyable read, sir. I just ordered my Black Bear tune last night, and when it asked about torque management I must have stared at the screen for about 20 minutes. I had no clue. I asked a buddy on the site, and they said between 50-75% should be good, so I chose 75% to be safe. I now see that I am going to need a shifting kit/servo next. Thank you so much, you are always so helpful!

its not just the removal of the TM that matters. Also it is in the shift pressure tables, as well as how high you are taking the rpms. Some info here is out dated and many updates have been made to parts. A shift kit and servo is a good start, but tuning needs to be spot on. On that note I feel you are in good hands with Justin. I will be releasing our shift kit soon for sale in our vendor forum as well as full transmissions and a few other goodies :ninja: