General transmission info

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, since I'm looking for that info. :P

Couple quick questions you can probably answer right off:

1) I thought the '04 AWD SS came with the 4L85... I don't see a single mention of that though, so I'm guessing the articles I read were wrong? Time to check the build sheet I suppose.

2) I'm 4 pages deep and haven't seen any mentions of swaps yet. I know the 6L transmissions use a new controller that doesn't like older ECMs, and I know some people were working on aftermarket controllers for them. Did any progress ever get made on that? 6L85E AWD SS please? :jester:

3) Any updated info on the big transmission coolers? I saw a setup linked here where it was below/behind the radiator rather than in front of it (angled with some big fans on it? HERE). <~ I really like that one, because it means I could still FMIC if I boost it bahaha. Any suggestions? It'll be daily driver and towing 6,000 lbs on a semi-regular basis, and I'd like to get it to run a 13.0 1/4 mile eventually. I don't want to go through 3 transmissions to get there (and can't afford to).

4) Should I even bother with trying to rebuild/shift kit my current transmission given that I know zip about it? Should I try for a mildly built stocker or jump right to something like the FLT level 5 (or 7)?

5) Is there anything I need to do to the rest of the AWD drivetrain (driveshafts, transfer case, diffs, etc) to keep it together with however much power it'll take to run a 13 flat and tow 6k lbs? I'd rather overbuild than rebuild and possible take ancillary parts down with it when it fails.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to link me to existing articles, I'm not afraid to RTFM (and am crawling the forums already, as you could probably tell by me digging up this one haha).

I agree, since I'm looking for that info. :P

Couple quick questions you can probably answer right off:

1) I thought the '04 AWD SS came with the 4L85... I don't see a single mention of that though, so I'm guessing the articles I read were wrong? Time to check the build sheet I suppose.

Nope; Congress forced GM to use 4L60s in all 1/2-ton trucks and SUVs - it was the only way that GM could meet CAFE requirements. No 1/2-ton GMT-800 based product got the 80E.

2) I'm 4 pages deep and haven't seen any mentions of swaps yet. I know the 6L transmissions use a new controller that doesn't like older ECMs, and I know some people were working on aftermarket controllers for them. Did any progress ever get made on that? 6L85E AWD SS please? :jester:

It's been done on 2WD trucks, there are a couple AWD conversions as well. The flexplate, converter, transmission, wiring, crossmember, cooler lines, and PCM re-programming have been documented. The AWD trucks have an additional problem, you have to have a custom built output shaft made for the 80E so that the NVG-149 transfer case will bolt-up - to my knowledge the only company selling this is transmissioncenter.net and it's NOT cheap. We can check with our vendors and see if such a conversion shaft could be affordably made as well.

3) Any updated info on the big transmission coolers? I saw a setup linked here where it was below/behind the radiator rather than in front of it (angled with some big fans on it? HERE). <~ I really like that one, because it means I could still FMIC if I boost it bahaha. Any suggestions? It'll be daily driver and towing 6,000 lbs on a semi-regular basis, and I'd like to get it to run a 13.0 1/4 mile eventually. I don't want to go through 3 transmissions to get there (and can't afford to).

Yup do it right the first time - Call us. AFA the transmission cooler, we recommend the TruCool Max, you can find them being sold on eBay by several transmission parts suppliers. Personally I would *highly* recommend that the transmission cooler be mounted in front of the radiator and the I/C mounted low behind the front bumper, so that in stop/go traffic the ATF does not overheat as the truck sits still.

4) Should I even bother with trying to rebuild/shift kit my current transmission given that I know zip about it? Should I try for a mildly built stocker or jump right to something like the FLT level 5 (or 7)?

Since heavy towing and forced induction are in your plans, go all the way - don't screw around. Again, call us.

5) Is there anything I need to do to the rest of the AWD drivetrain (driveshafts, transfer case, diffs, etc) to keep it together with however much power it'll take to run a 13 flat and tow 6k lbs? I'd rather overbuild than rebuild and possible take ancillary parts down with it when it fails.

At that level of performance we recommend replacing the G80 rear differential with an Eaton TruTrak. The NVG-149 transfer case actually holds-up pretty well. You're going to want a torque converter better suited for the truck's anticipated use as well.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Man this sucks.

I should have my DiabloSport back soon and think I may wait to put the Powerdyne in 'til I get in the trans a little.

Wouldn't the adj's I can make, like shift speed and firmness and even TM abuse be enough to make it a little better?

AFTER a gear hits, does the shift kit or Vette servos make the gear grab all the way through ('til the next gear) or is it only in regards to the application and change from/to another gear.

I've always felt my '03 5.3 Silverado fell on its ass after 4th even w/ the Powerdyne. Thats one reason I even went to an SSS.

I wish I knew the previous owner... maybe he already did trans work. It's got Belanger headers and Flowmaster exh and was in Arizona most of her life... u out there?

:chevy:

• 3 months later...

After installing my supercharger 2nd gear would not hold , it slipped big time. I had to install a shift kit and corvette servo. After 4 years I broke the tranny. Mostly my fault, I hit a slight dip in the road as it was going into second and it was a washboard road after the dip. I broke the main output shaft into.

I drive a little more careful now. Mr P is right on. I heard from a GM mech that the servo's on the trucks are smaller than those on the camero and vets. Something about they wanted a softer shift on the trucks. I hope I got this right.

Edited by 1quicktruck (see edit history)