General transmission info

So Mister P .... how does this article jive after your recent edumacation lessons? I was just curious about what you think of your post after learning more first hand and taking a serious look after your trans dumped. Does it all match up ... did you learn some new ideas ... are some of the old stuff really turn out to be wrong?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mister P .... how does this article jive after your recent edumacation lessons? I was just curious about what you think of your post after learning more first hand and taking a serious look after your trans dumped. Does it all match up ... did you learn some new ideas ... are some of the old stuff really turn out to be wrong?
I'm thinking alot of it still applies. Sounds to me like what happened was that he paid for something he didn't get. Which would make me mad enough to eat fried chicken. :mad: With half the job done the trans was slowly destroying itself.

that must not have come across right .... I'm not saying that he was wrong ... or that his advice broke his tranny ... I know steve is a information freak ... so I feel pretty confident that when his trans broke he went to the far ends of the earth digging up information and learning as much as he can first hand. I was just inquiring to know if any of this new knowledge either supported or disproved his earlier post. It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

I'm thinking alot of it still applies. Sounds to me like what happened was that he paid for something he didn't get. Which would make me mad enough to eat fried chicken. :mad: With half the job done the trans was slowly destroying itself.

The transmission changes I am making are far outside this sticky which was only meant to cover bolt-on mods for transmissions. Inside the case it's a whole new universe. And Dwaine is right, make damn sure that what you paid for actually gets installed in the case.

Mr. P.

Mr-P

I know you stated in a earlier post that installing a shift kit and servo can be done with the trans still in the truck. The only part im concerned with, is the ball bearing/check balls. It would be my luck they would come flying out and roll down the street....Or are they somewhat held in place ?? Thanks, Jason

Mr. P how difficult is the Shift kit and servo install??? I'm mechanically inclined but I've never attempted this. :confused:
It's not hard, I would recommend that you be either walked-through it once or have someone you can call to answer the inevitable questions that come-up; the 4L60E's are much simpler to do a shift kit on than the earlier TH350/400's. Essentially you drain the fluid, remove the pan/filter, then unbolt the 2nd accumulator, valvebody/solenoids, & separator plate from the underside of the tranny (warning don't loose any ball-bearing check balls) and replace strategic parts in the assembly. Then reassemble, which I found to be the most laborious part of the whole deal. I was thinking of posting a how-to but the instructions are different between the Superior/zippy kit and the TransGo kit, plus if you buy the consumer version of the TransGo HD2-C kit it also comes with a step-by-step VHS. The Transgo kit's instructions are kinda thin, just a 2-page leaflet instruction guide, but with some support you can install yourself no prob.

Mr. P.

Mr-P

I know you stated in a earlier post that installing a shift kit and servo can be done with the trans still in the truck. The only part im concerned with, is the ball bearing/check balls. It would be my luck they would come flying out and roll down the street....Or are they somewhat held in place ?? Thanks, Jason

The valve body is nothing like a TH350, it's much simpler with the electonic solenoids & there are only a couple check bearings and as long as you drop the valve body straight down there is no chance of loosing them.

Mr. P. :)

well just some info i got was that right now a 4l65e can be made to hang with about 700 lb ft of torque , there will be a titanium input drum that shoul dhandle 1k it will be out in a year or so.

kind of sucks for me since id love to keep the 4l65e with the nice 1st gear ratio , but a year is a long wait and there will be other limitations besidees the input drum that willl limit 1000 . so a 4l80 may be in order.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, people! I'm new to this site and I'm searching for a good review on a transmission controller.

GM 4L80-E Transmission Controller - Get the new Transmission controller in GM Performance Parts 2006 Catalog by GM Parts Direct

mr p, you now have an ss nutswinger in chicago !!!!

im new to the gm hi-perf. scene, right now just a cai, muffler, hypertech... do you know if the hypertech deletes the torque control crap??

which shift kit would you recommend, which vendors for that and the servos (vette)??

mr p, you now have an ss nutswinger in chicago !!!!

im new to the gm hi-perf. scene, right now just a cai, muffler, hypertech... do you know if the hypertech deletes the torque control crap??

which shift kit would you recommend, which vendors for that and the servos (vette)??

My guess, no the Hypertech *probably* does not change torque management settings, but that is my guess. I have the TransGo HD2C and it works well enough, I'm experimenting with it by further tweaking the 2nd servo/accumulator so I'll let everyone know how that goes. If you use the Transgo HD2C do not use more than one washer in the 2nd accumulator; if you use 2 you're brave (I broke the input drum with 2 washers) and under no circumstances use more than 2. The Superior kit is very good, and I just rode in a truck with the "Zippy Kit" (zippy Performance) it is a tweaked Superior kit for use in full-size GM trucks and it is very good, I was seriously impressed with it but I think costs around $200-250 :dunno:

Mr. P. :)

• 4 weeks later...

great post and readings. Does this apply to all GM trannies, to include the 4L70? That's whats in my 07' VMax 6.0. I reqally want to upgrade the tranny before doing any bolt on parts. Ex: exhaust, Nelson Tune, & etc. But I really can't find any shop that offers or talks to much about the 4L70 tranny. It was also mentioned that someone has the fix for the hard shifts going through Walmarts parking lot, can someone post that fix.

I would like to also say ALOHA from Hawaii..

great post and readings. Does this apply to all GM trannies, to include the 4L70? That's whats in my 07' VMax 6.0. I reqally want to upgrade the tranny before doing any bolt on parts. Ex: exhaust, Nelson Tune, & etc. But I really can't find any shop that offers or talks to much about the 4L70 tranny. It was also mentioned that someone has the fix for the hard shifts going through Walmarts parking lot, can someone post that fix.

I would like to also say ALOHA from Hawaii..

Yes. The 4L70E is pretty much a beefier version of the 4L60/65E. The servos are the same between the two, so when you look for parts the 4L60/65E should be the same. Also, there is an extra spring used on Corvettes for the 2nd gear servo. This may be the trick to soften low speed bang into 2nd. Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

Thanks for the info CoolBlue. Is there any pictures of this spring or do I just add another spring to the second Servo? This is all french to me.
Go to your local dealer. Part number 8681195 is the second spring used in the Vette.