Rocker Arms

ToddOH

They are either 1.7 or 1.75. Tbyrne has a set of 1.85, I think. A place to start, anyway. I'd go with the cam instead. There was another thread started on the subject about a month ago. I'll post a link if I can find.

A cam and springs will cost around $400-450. If you do a cam, you don't need to do the rockers. Factory rockers will work just fine.

As far as install goes, a good high performance shop or general maintenance shop should be able to perform. Although, only a few may actually want to do. I would guess that it would be in the neighborhood of $500-700 for install charge.

I would consider doing yourself. I had never done before either. I considered myself a so-so wrench turner and didn't have any problems. Go to LS1howto.com and read about the cam/springs swap done there. It really covers everything you need to know and recommends all your tools, gaskets, etc... Then hopefully you have a friend that has done one before and could assist you. I would at least consider it. As far as selection of cam, there are quite a few people on here that could handle that. If you pick one that doesn't require a new program, then it's even easier for you.

Just ordered my Cam today.

I went with the Comp Cams 54-412-11. It's the same one Ben installed. Ran me 349.95.

I am going to start getting these things a little bit at a time and install them all at once. Going to get the springs on the first and maybe Comp Cams valve uptrain kit after that.

BenKey:

With the installation of a new cam, will the truck still be able to pass emissions??

Look at the descriptions of the cams, sometimes that info is contained. Call the tech lines, if it isn't. That wasn't a concern for me, but I'm pretty sure mine would pass. Mine is a fairly mild cam.

Just ordered my Cam today.

I went with the Comp Cams 54-412-11. It's the same one Ben installed. Ran me 349.95.

I am going to start getting these things a little bit at a time and install them all at once. Going to get the springs on the first and maybe Comp Cams valve uptrain kit after that.

The valvetrain upgrade kit comes with the springs. Comp part #54100, I believe. Jeg's can get for you. Price is around $450.

The valvetrain upgrade kit comes with the springs. Comp part #54100, I believe. Jeg's can get for you. Price is around $450.

Good catch Ben, I knew that. Comp Cams sent me the catalog.

Big huge catalog, I was sure they would charge me for it but they didn't

QUOTE (blackhawk @ Oct 23 2003, 03:11 PM)

BenKey:

With the installation of a new cam, will the truck still be able to pass emissions?? 

Look at the descriptions of the cams, sometimes that info is contained. Call the tech lines, if it isn't. That wasn't a concern for me, but I'm pretty sure mine would pass. Mine is a fairly mild cam.

Not being able to pass emissions would be a major downfall IMO…

Right now I plan on keeping the truck for the 5 years or so before emissions testing. But I am sure there will be a 500 hp SS coming out in the next 5years that I’ll just have to buy, know what I mean?

QUOTE (blackhawk @ Oct 23 2003, 03:11 PM)

BenKey:

Not being able to pass emissions would be a major downfall IMO…

Right now I plan on keeping the truck for the 5 years or so before emissions testing. But I am sure there will be a 500 hp SS coming out in the next 5years that I’ll just have to buy, know what I mean?

Have you been looking at cams? I'm sure that there are quite a few out there to choose from, 2-4, or more, that would still keep you smog legal. You just may need to make some calls.

Have you been looking at cams? I'm sure that there are quite a few out there to choose from, 2-4, or more, that would still keep you smog legal. You just may need to make some calls.

I haven’t looked at a cam or fond out any additionally info that you and others haven’t already supplied, thanks BTW. :thumbs:

My concerns about emissions came from a friend at work when we were hot rodding ideas and such. I think doing a cam might NOT affect emissions at all because I think on the new vehicles they don’t use the smog checker thing on the exhaust, but instead use the diagnostic port and check the computer for faults or something. So we may pass if the computer doesn’t record any faults…

Archived