anyone have an intermediate steering shaft how to?

wsaraceni

I got the jitters when turning and the clunking felt in the steering wheel. im gonna have the truck jacked up and want to know if there is an easy way to fix this. im wondering what everyone suggests. i can take it to the dealer if need be but would prefer not to let anyone i dont know work onthe car. if the dealer would be better suited in doing it, anyone in NJ have a recommended dealer to use?

Yea there's a 15mm bolt under the hood you take off and another one under the dash near the bulkhead (firewall) and it slides right out. It is real easy to do, just make sure not to let the steering wheel turn or you will break the air bag clock spring in the column.

Mr. P usually does real nice how to's

I think he needs to get on the ball :jester:

thanks for the reply.  hopefully mr. p chimes in and does a nice writeup.  from what ive read there isnt a permenant fix for this yet, is that correct?

Check the play at the steering box. I have found mine to be ver loose and have yet to find a shaft that can make the play in the box go away. LOL It's more than likely slop in the steering box there is an entire thread on this. It's a sticky in the suspension section I believe.

• 1 month later...

Well I went to the dealer today they told me were the steering shaft meets there is a joint inside that boot that has lubricant and that the exhaust mainfolds melt the lubricant and just a simple relube would fix my jolting in the steering wheel! Is he wrong?

• 11 months later...

hey guys, i happen to be a lucky one who is a Chevy technician as well as an SS owner... the problem with the steering clunk is a poor design in the intermediate steering shaft that allows the lubricant to dry/ leak out... a few months ago GM released a newly designed shaft that's sealed, meaning no more lubricating shafts. check with your local dealer to get the new part