Help form the GroundForce kit guys

rico750sxi

i have been waiting for more kits to come out before i get one

always finding new ways to spend money...

you mean you guys are spending money, wow i just buy the american way buy with plasic now and pay later

ok ben :crazy: i dont know if thats going to work

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What i was impling is that some people on here have lowered their SS  basically the same way you have and are  not happy with results(vibration). Now they want to try a method that is proven to work with no complaints. Sorry you took it the wrong way but i didnt like your "hoopla" comment.

Their vibration problems has noting to do with the torsion keys. Tension is what holds our front suspension at the height they are when they are stock. The only way to lower the front is to unload the torsion bar which in turn lowers the suspension. The new keys reclock the point where the screw comes in contact with the key which in turn allows you to lower the front more that without them. regardless which method is used we use. inch for inch we all have the same tension on them. The four wheelers are replacing their key to go higher. their keys are clocked the opposite of the ones that comes in lowering kits. Thus the more they crank their bolts in the stiffer their suspensions become and the more lift they get.

Not all the trucks have the same tension on the keys.

when you use the lowering keys, it allows you to keep the stock tension on the torsion bar, yet achieve a 2" drop. It does not make your spring rate different. It stays the same as stock. When you turn out the adjusters to lower the truck. . . thats when you are changing the spring rate and lowering the truck that way.

What i was impling is that some people on here have lowered their SS  basically the same way you have and are  not happy with results(vibration). Now they want to try a method that is proven to work with no complaints. Sorry you took it the wrong way but i didnt like your "hoopla" comment.

Their vibration problems has noting to do with the torsion keys. Tension is what holds our front suspension at the height they are when they are stock. The only way to lower the front is to unload the torsion bar which in turn lowers the suspension. The new keys reclock the point where the screw comes in contact with the key which in turn allows you to lower the front more that without them. regardless which method is used we use. inch for inch we all have the same tension on them. The four wheelers are replacing their key to go higher. their keys are clocked the opposite of the ones that comes in lowering kits. Thus the more they crank their bolts in the stiffer their suspensions become and the more lift they get.

Not all the trucks have the same tension on the keys.

when you use the lowering keys, it allows you to keep the stock tension on the torsion bar, yet achieve a 2" drop. It does not make your spring rate different. It stays the same as stock. When you turn out the adjusters to lower the truck. . . thats when you are changing the spring rate and lowering the truck that way.

Please explain to me how you can possibly retain the stock tension and get a 2" drop.

Tension is what holds the lower control arms at a given height right?

If that statement is true then wouldn't the only way to lower it be by changing the spring rate?

The torsion has to move counterclockwise to lower. If the keys don't let the torsion bar rotate how does the truck lower?

Is there anyway to measure the tension on the torsion bar? I think it would be interesting to compare the tension.

Let us know what you find out please.

I will, go look at their site in the Q&A section. Alot of whati 've been say is there. The only way to raise or lower is to unload or put more load on the torsion bar.

The question I'm gonna ask is: Will replacing keys for a 2" lowered height still give you the stock spring rate & ride. I think I already know the answer. But I could be wrong.

my preferred way of doing it would be ordering springs with a new leaf spring at a similar or stiffer rate, but with a different arch. eaton spring can build them about anyway you'd want them without losing the the spring rate which would affect it's truck ability as well as handling. i would deffinitly use the key's though, as it allows the torsion bar to keep it's spring rate and still lower the truck.

The easiest way to explain how the keys work would be this:

Basically what it does is spin the torsion bar more before it reaches its full tension that it gets at ride height.

or you could look at it this way. if you drew a ( + ) on the back of the torsion bar, it would look like this ( X ) after because it has been spun over more before it reaches the same tension.

before keys + and the angle of the control arm may look like this ( / ), but after the keys, it would look like this X and the control arm would look like this ( -- )

of coarse it wouldnt be that drastic, but thats basically it. Hopefully that made sense. If it didnt then the only other thing i could reccomend would be to go under your truck and look at the way its setup. I think its easy to understand once youve looked at it

Ok, guys.

I went to Suspension Maxx this morning before work to find out exactly what the benefit of changing the torsion keys when lowering our SS's.

Question: Why would someone want to change torsion keys when lowering a truck.

Answer: It will allow them to go lower than the factory ones will.

Question: If a truck is lowered without the keys, will the factory ride be affected?

Answer: Same as if you used they keys. The existing torsion bars are designed specifically for each vehicle, and have specific spring rates. The only way to change spring rate is change torsion bars.

Question: Why are the people that are changing these when lowering claiming to have a better ride.

Answer: Their kits came with a firmer shock package than the factory installed.

A lot of wife problems :D

I am blessed :rolleyes: on this one as my wife is only 5'tall and almost needs a stepladder to get in so the lowering idea suits her fine. :thumbs:

However I will be sleeping in the garden shed if it vibrates :nonod: so I need El Perfecto Droppo.

GroundForce is more but more complex while BellTech is easy but many problems which one is less trouble :confused: ??

Dr Mike :cool:

Archived