Help form the GroundForce kit guys

rico750sxi

Wizard:

I am sure the kit is worth the money, :thumbs: but it is like the truck thermostats BB upgrade to turn your stock stat into a 160 thermo for free. ;) Why spend $400 on something when you can do the same thing for less than $100 and a little elbow grease? :confused:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wizard, my truck looks right with the $40 shackles, just doesn't drive right!! :D:confused: I didn't want to get the GroundForce kit because at first they wouldn't tell me what I would have to do to the rear when I called them. Like I said before, I didn't like that. So I went with the shackles hoping everything would be okay.

I have picked up a vibration and have tried shims to fix it. I have decided that is the most I'm doing. I actually said to the guy I'm working with(yes I'm at work, shhh!!) that I spent $40K on the truck, what's another $350 to have it ride and drive right. So I made a call to Summit and I will have my kit in 10 days if GroundForce has it in stock, if not it may take a while longer. Now I just don't know what to do until the kit comes. I'm taking the shims out becuase it just seemed to make things worse. I have my work car to drive(The Beast!!) but I want to drive my truck. Waiting sucks!!!

I spoke to Ground Force and they said 'The ONLY reason we use keys is because 90% of the stock trucks will not allow for the lower ride height without them. They do not change the tension of the bars, they just allow more room for adjustments." Belltech said the same thing. I am getting the kit... I have heard that there shocks are pretty good and I know I need new shocks. Can't beat the price of this kit.

BenKey:

No not yet, but I will as soon as I get a programmer that works and can truly calibrate the computer to use the 160dg…

Sorry, but you lost me. Why is that necessary?

Ben, I know this is getting a little off track of the thread but is there some reason I should not use a 160 stat with my blower. I have had one sitting in my toolbox for 2 months ready to go in. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not a good idea. I am probably wrong though.

Now back on track. I am seriously considering the Ground Force kit also. I am going to call them today and see how long the wait is.

Just got of the phone with Summit. They say it will be the last week of this month at the earliest before they can get me a kit. To tell you the truth, I would have had one of these kits a long time ago, but I am not really fond of waiting that long. I can spend that money on a cam or something I can have in a few days.

Ben, I know this is getting a little off track of the thread but is there some reason I should not use a 160 stat with my blower. I have had one sitting in my toolbox for 2 months ready to go in. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not a good idea. I am probably wrong though.

Eric - don't know why it would be a bad idea. Your supercharger is creating more heat in your engine. So to me, what ever you do to help that out would be best. Although, I'm by no means an expert in that. Notice any diff at all for how hot your engine runs? Remember these gages are not all that accurate anyway. I'd put it in.

OK, here I go starting trouble.

I don't understand what all the hoopla is about the GF lowering kit. The only thing the kit provides, that those of us who didn't use it, is shocks and keys.

1. Unless I'm wrong, the only thing the keys do is reindex the position where the adjusting bolt comes in contact with it. Both methods unload the torsion bars equally. Those of us without them have more bolt sticking out below the cross member than those that do.

2. We cut our bump stops, the kit came with them. I can't see any difference that would have. If you bottom out the suspension on the stops I think we both would have the same results.

3. Both methods replace the rear shackles.

4. Personally I haven't had any driveline vibrations since I've lowered mine. If I did i would have the drive shaft rebalanced before I would start shimming. a 2" drop should not affect the driveline angle enough to create a vibration.

5. The method I chose was easily done in an hour. Saving the expense of have a mechanic do it.

6. Both methods require a complete wheel alignment when done.

I guess it's a matter of what people choose to spend their money on. I wouldnt spend my money on that kit.

Don't get me wrong, i have bought and installed approximatly 8 lift kits of variuos vehicles that i've owned over the years. 6" lifts to 5"-7" drops. After studing what it took to lower the SS, I didnt see the need to buy a kit. I see the kit prices ranging from $365.00 to $399.00 plus installation, plus alignment.

I have $45.00 plus cost of aligment in the method I chose. I'll wait until Edelbrock completes their testing on their shock for the SS. Then i will start comparing shocks.

OK, here I go starting trouble.

I don't understand what all the hoopla is about the GF lowering kit. The only thing the kit provides, that those of us who didn't use it, is shocks and keys.

1. Unless I'm wrong, the only thing the keys do is reindex the position where the adjusting bolt comes in contact with it. Both methods unload the torsion bars equally. Those of us without them have more bolt sticking out below the cross member than those that do.

2. We cut our bump stops, the kit came with them. I can't see any difference that would have. If you bottom out the suspension on the stops I think we both would have the same results.

3. Both methods replace the rear shackles.

4. Personally I haven't had any driveline vibrations since I've lowered mine. If I did i would have the drive shaft rebalanced before I would start shimming. a 2" drop should not affect the driveline angle enough to create a vibration.

5. The method I chose was easily done in an hour. Saving the expense of have a mechanic do it.

6. Both methods require a complete wheel alignment when done.

I guess it's a matter of what people choose to spend their money on. I wouldnt spend my money on that kit.

Don't get me wrong, i have bought and installed approximatly 8 lift kits of variuos vehicles that i've owned over the years. 6" lifts to 5"-7" drops. After studing what it took to lower the SS, I didnt see the need to buy a kit. I see the kit prices ranging from $365.00 to $399.00 plus installation, plus alignment.

I have $45.00 plus cost of aligment in the method I chose. I'll wait until Edelbrock completes their testing on their shock for the SS. Then i will start comparing shocks.

Amen brother!

Archived