SS is sick

ahh you texans.. never get you riled up eh??

LOL

seriously.. very VERY good points to make.

I wouldnt mind paying for the injection flush, injector cleaning crap if thats what I took i there for. .I didnt. i took it there to fix a MISFIRE..

are they telling me that thier equipment CANNNOT tell them what cylinder to check? autozone told me in about 10 seconds.

On top of that, why didnt they check the plugs? one check of #2 and i found it was cracked!!!

if only i had the tools to see the codes so i could have proven it was one part or the other..

Edited by Bonj87 (see edit history)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG :banghead::banghead:

These guys are getting on my LAST nerve now.

They just called me.. they cannot find anything.. and are 'still checking'

they want the factory air box to 'test with for a day'.

at least they are paying for a rental car for me so I can go to work !

WTF

I wanna just beat them with the factory air box screaming "AN AIR CLEANER DOES NOT CAUSE A SPECIFIC MISFIRE ON CYLINDER #3!!!" :puke:

but then id just get hauled away..

So they claim to put on the stock air box, fix the "real" problem, tell you it was your air box and charge you to fix what the problem really was.

If I knew it was number 3, the dealer would be the last person to touch. For the most part, it's either the coil, plug, or plug wire. I have never heard of a coil failing and you replaced the other two. The last thing would be the number 3 injector. That injector is about $45 for 1 - not from the dealership. A coil pack from the dealership is like $80 or so.

got the truck back

she runs pretty damned nice now

turns out injector #3 was the problem. they replaced it and cleaned all my injectors again and didnt charge me a thing

BUT..they did say that if i were to step on the gas.. (floor it), the SES could come on flashing.. this is because the amount of air coming in is greater than the computer was calibrated for.. yeah yeah. i think thats BS

got the truck back

she runs pretty damned nice now

turns out injector #3 was the problem. they replaced it and cleaned all my injectors again and didnt charge me a thing

BUT..they did say that if i were to step on the gas.. (floor it), the SES could come on flashing.. this is because the amount of air coming in is greater than the computer was calibrated for.. yeah yeah. i think thats BS

I could see a slight lean condition, but not a misfire. It is my understanding that flashing SES means serious misfire only.

Thanks!

The TSB you should all note is

In it, they say

the using of an exessivly/overoiled aftermarket, or reusable air fileter may result in:

Service Engine soon (SES) light On

Transmission shift concerns, slipped and dammange clutch(es) or band(s)

Engine drivability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM.

"the use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty".

"DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an exessively/over-oiled aftermarket resusable air filter"

basically what they say happens is the oil from the air filter gets on the MAF, the MAF then begins to collect debris, because it sticks the oily film on the wires because of the air filter oil. This then causes drivability problems..

HOWEVER in my case, the filter was not over oiled, it was put on as it came out of the box.. my MAF was dirty, but my main problem was injector #3 was not working properly.. why they didnt just check them when they were cleaning them is beyond me!!

Also, what worries me is if I go to WOT on the high way, or strip, its going to cause the SES to flash, but then turn off.. that bothers me tons!!! The techniciian actually took a 30 minute ride with me on the highway to see how I drive and to make sure I cant recreate the experience. Later in the day, I thought Id go WOT to test it, without the tech in the car. and the SES flashed for about a minute, then went away. Am I nuts, or should this not happen.. do I need a custom tune to work with the K&N???

i cant blame you i wouldnt be happy either. i dont care what mods you have if your truck runs correctly you should not have a flashing ses light unless something is really wrong. i would keep fighting it with the dealer and if your still under warranty and this continues to happen the lemon law and a lwyer should be able to make things happen!

what i might do is take it to a different dealer for the flashing SES light.

this time, ill quote the TSB number and say that I know the issues, but it shouldnt cause the flashing SES.

by the way, should it take a day or so for the computer to 'learn' new tables after putting in the K&N, and having the injectors cleaned.. etc?

i remember reading that in a Truckin' magazine about my 1999 silverado way back in the day..

I don't see a K&N causing anything much different than stock values for any kind of re-learn. Most of that would be in the idle area anyway - speculating. You shouldn't need any learn period, so to speak.