SS is sick

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pffft even better!

i was reading about coil backs a few minutes ago.. does changing them out to 'better ones' help you in any way?

I would rule out coils for now just by how much they cost. If you had scanning software, you could scan for misfires by cylinder. Just get the code cleared for now and go from there.

went to auto zone.

they reset the light , and gave me a code

P0303 error cylinder number 3 misfire.

i went home and checked.. one wire was loose, so i reseated it.

took it for a cruise. whammo.. solid light again..

calling the dealer now.

i just talked to the service manager at the dealer.

seems like a nice enough guy.

He just told me that he recently got a TSB from Chevy about after market air cleaners and Mass Airflow Sensors.

because some people over oil the filters, they burn out the MAS.

Chevy will not warranty an MAS if you have an aftermarket air filter.

he is investigating my issue(s). I told him #1, fix the truck, find the real problem and fix it.. #2, lets talk about a refund for the induction flush and injector cleaning since that was not the solution to this problem.

Good luck with that one...refund from a dealer? yeah right... :crackup:

#2. A bad MAF WILL NOT cause an isolated continuing misfire on a specific cylinder. That guy is nice, but not intelligent.

Sounds to me like they are hell bent on not honoring your warranty and want you to pay for it.

If I were you, I would take it to another dealership.

Maybe someone on here can confirm the TSB on the oil/air cleaner issue.

if they dont honor the warranty, or tell me it will cost me more to fix it, ill just say "thank you" and pick up my truck. no work done.

ill then take it to another dealer (one i never had problems with), and have them fix it.

heck , i should call them now just in case.

heck heck, i should call the Better Business Bureau on the dealership that cant fix it, or refund me for the work they did, which didnt fix the problem..

:withstupid::icon_bs: You are getting jerked around, big time.

First of all, the dealership HAS TO PROVE that the aftermarket part is the ROOT CAUSE of the issue; there are laws against service departments just shrugging their shoulders and coercing you into paying for service and parts that have nothing to do with the issue under false pretenses - at best it's professional negligence, at worst it's outright fraud. If the dealer did not want to deal with a modified vehicle he should have told you that the moment he cracked the hood that he was not qualified to work on the issue and sent you elsewhere. What the dealer has done is unlawful.

I agree with Black2003SS, if your MAF was erroneous then the entire engine would be affected, not just one cylinder; this is a well documented issue as several here on the forum have done this.

The dealer has to PROVE that the aftermarket air filter has directly caused the SES light on only the #3 hole, and there's no possible way I can see that to be possible.

I would take the vehicle to a second shop that will honor your warranty, and when the actual ROOT CAUSE is discovered and documented and corrected then I would take the receipts back to dealer #1 and corner the manager, tell him that you are going to be decent and give them the chance to make this right before you have your attorney write-up a demand letter for reimbursement of charges for services provided under false pretense. I would go half-way with them, tell them you will pay for the injector cleaning and tranny service because truthfully it was appropriate service given the mileage on your truck. But that 'induction pressure cleaning' charge is bullcrap. Also, my local dealer charges $20 less for a injector cleaning and that includes replacing the fuel filter in the process, an injector cleaning by itself is only $85 so you are being ROOKED. My point is, you are not dealing with good people - change tactics.

--------------------------------

Back to the real problem. To have a fire you need heat, fuel, and air so actually you only have three things to check for. I am going to assume you are getting air, and that you are getting fuel because the injectors just got cleaned at the dealership. So I would check for proper ignition function. Strategy - take suspect parts and test with "known good" parts, starting with the cheapest parts first. In your case you've already installed new plugs and plug wires, so I would skip them and go right to swaping the #1 and #3 coil packs. If the misfire 'moves' to the #1 chamber then you know that the coil is not working right; if the #3 hole still reports a misfire, then I would swap injectors between #1 and #3, and see what effect that causes... Do everything you can think of to make the misfire 'move' to another cylinder, that process will uncover the suspect part. Don't go buying more parts!

When you do narrow down the issue take the truck to another dealer and either have them fix it, or get an official estimate (for free) and that is the ammo you need to deal with your current dealer.

Mr. P.