SS is sick

Truck is back at the dealer. The same guy was there when I rolled in.

He looked at me like "what are you doing here?"

i just pointed to my dash and said "the problem is still here... "

im waiting on the call now.. i bet its gonna cost me again!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$10 says they didnt fix the real problem, like replace the plug wires, or spark plugs, or coil packs, or the cracked piston you have knockin. (Just kididng about that last one, breath easy).  :crackup: 

Anyways, I would say probably 70% of the dealerships are mostly honest in the repair department.

Would you ever know if they were telling you the truth if you didnt eprsonally know? :dunno:

Havent you seen thsoe undercover investigations on Dateline or your local news channel where they intentionally break an inexpensive part or just simply unplug somethin like the MAF or temperature wire?  :dunno:  Then they take it to a dealership and tell them their SES light is on and ask them to fix it.  Some dealers are honest and either fix it for free or under warranty or charge the modest $50 inspection fee.  Some of them come back and thell them that the MAF needs to be replaced for like $400 or the thermostat needs to be replaced for $150 etc.  Then they go in with the footage to the dealership management and confront them! :thumbs:  The one I saw on my local news channel did it to 5 places, 3 of them were honest, 2 were not...about 60%.

:withstupid::D they just wanted to get the serivce out of you ! if they want you to replace the plugs or wires i would just buy aftermarket ones. it will probably be chepaer. if it were me i would replace the wire/plugs myself and save a couple bucks and most likely fix you r problem!

well, they didnt charge me on this call.

they reset the error causing the light to come on, and said they couldnt find anything wrong

then he proceeds to tell me I should return the air intake back to stock just to rule it out, and they can diagnose it better..

WTF.. my 1999 never had this problem and it had a K&N on it too.

im gonna replace the plugs and wires this weekend I think.

ok the light came on, flashing again, until i reduced speed and it went away.

seems to happen when my speed hits between 60 and 65 MPH.

I wonder if it's my O2 sensor? anyone know how much that is, and where it is to replace it?

other than that, im not sure what it could be .. OnStar says there's an error code about my emissions, so thats why im thinking the O2 sensor.

Flashing SES usually signifies a serious misfire. There are some very minor things that can cause it. If you do not want to touch it, I understand.

I have had it happen to me just from the plug end of a plug wire not making good solid contact. So I have a taken a pair of slip-joint pliers and put the wide opening part around my boots and slowly sqeeze just a little. They make better contact to the plugs after. Some plug ends can screw off - some don't. If they are not on tight your plug could mis-fire. The main thing is the plug wires themselves will click on the plug end once and you will hear and feel two clicks on the coil end. A coil could be going bad or a plug wire.

I replaced all the plug wires.

Problem is still there... solid SES light.

I took it for a spin to see if time would remove the light.. as soon as I hit 65 MPH, and I was acellerating hard, the light went flashing, then as I slowed down, went solid again.

The wires looked good, except one cylinder, which looked to have a bunch of oil in it.. perhaps this cylinder isnt quite right?

i also bought NGKTR55 plugs, but I cant get a socket in deep enough to remove the plugs. Is there a special tool I need for this?

I want to replace the plugs and wires so I can tell them Ive done this. I want to prove its not the K&N intake.

How did you know the cylinder has oil in it if you have not removed the plugs? Was the oil on the wire? In the wire ends? How much oil? Are you sure it was not road grime and oil? You need to inspect for oil leaks. This could lead to a bad gasket somewhere that also could lead to lower cylinder pressure which would read as a misfire.

ok it was a pain, but i got all the plugs AND wires replaced.

I notice the truck does run quite a bit nicer, better throttle response, etc... just plain better

BU THAT DAMNED LIGHT IS STILL ON!

when i hit between 65 and 70, the light goes to flashing. I slow down, comes back to solid..

im thinking at this point.. O2 sensor???

it could be , the crappy part is there are a few things that can cuase this. i had the same problem recently and it was from my injectors. i switched to the svo 42/50 lbers and it all went away. i doubt this is your problem though ! when i had the problem it was from some delphi 50 lb injectors and i could never figure out why it was misifirng!

ok

so what do we think is next in the chain... coil packs?

Are they dangerous for the average person to swap out? are they expensive? would they be coverd by warranty?

im wondering if the work I did fixed the problem, but I need the Chevy place to reset the error code??? They probably will anyway.

I was hoping to drive in and say "i swapped plugs and wires, found a cracked plug, and a oily boot, i want you to check this. (insert part here).."

im also going to tell them I want a refund for the intake flush, since we know thats not the solution, which they told me it was.

I also want to fight them on putting the stock airbox back on.. WTF.. ITS NOT THE AIRBOX. and we all know it. how can the airbox cause a misfire?

ok it was a pain, but i got all the plugs AND wires replaced.

I notice the truck does run quite a bit nicer, better throttle response, etc... just plain better

BU THAT DAMNED LIGHT IS STILL ON!

when i hit between 65 and 70, the light goes to flashing. I slow down, comes back to solid..

im thinking at this point.. O2 sensor???

Go to autozone and have it cleared. Find out what the code is while you're there. The light will not automatically go out if you fixed the problem without going through a few times of the code not being set.