SS is sick

well, i was haivng some high reving fun going around a curve, and then my check engine light went on... i dialed up the old OnStar, and they said a diagnostic showed an engine misfire situtation.. whatever that means.

Its going to the dealer tomorrow at 8:15 am.. this is why i wanted a new one with a warranty..i just know this is going to kill me.. gonna be an expensive bill I know it.

on the upside, i got an oil change today, and had them replace the fuel filter. the original one was still on the car, and i have 45,000 miles.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its at the dealer now.

They told me I have a warranty until about 66,500 miles.. I was shocked. when i bought it used, i did not buy a warranty.. at least not that they let me know of!!!

im happy i have one, i was just shocked.

They are gonna fix the steering clunking.. there's a TSB on it thats covered.

speaking of TSBs... is there a site one can read all the TSBs?

ok,

the dealer asked how long my K&N was on.. LOL

basically my induction system needs to be pressure cleaned, the injectors need to be cleaned and flushed.. and of course its time to change the transfluid.

450 bucks is my bill for the day.. damnit.

god i hate it when dealers see an after market part and asume it is the cause of the problem.. so ignorant of them... if you live in south florida take your trucks to blake chevrolet/caddy they are located on us1 and 304st. great service they have awsome mechanics who will work around your aftermarket parts and find the real cause of your issue. they also get your truck in and out in the same day ( i have a fleet account with chevy so i dont know if this holds true for everyone).

best thing about them is that they pick up my vehicles and bring them back when the service is completed. hope this helps you sould fla gm owners

$450 for what?

I thought you had a warranty? I know the changing of the trans fluid wasn't that much - that looked like the only thing that wouldn't be covered. What was it that your warranty was for again? Your hitch, maybe?

the warranty covered the steering issue basically

the warranty doesnt cover maintenance like cleaning the injectors, or changing the trans fluid

it was 139 bucks for each item they had to do, and 20 bucks for a trim peice i had them order.

I dont trust some dealers. They will tell you it is non-warrantable and charge you for the repairs, like you for instance, you might have had a bad plug wire causing a misfire, they replace the wire with a used one lying around, charge you the $400 for the cleaning and trans fluid change (which you may or may not have needed), you get the truck back, think they worked a miracle, and thats that. I had it happen to me when I was younger and more ignorant once. Also, a close friend of mine is an ASE master mechanic and has worked at about 4 dealerships and was even a service adviser. He would see other advisers write up tickets on someones car for new tires when they werent even needed, it was a bad bearing etc. They would have the mechanic replace the worn bearing, charge $500+ for new stealership priced stock crap tires and send it out the door and the client was never the wiser. Sucks...Thats why I am so glad I was able to buy my own tools and do most of the work myself now.

You ahve to realize most of those service techs and advisers are on commission and they earn more on non-warranty than warranty work. The dealer makes a larger profit on it to, so it is pushed and they have quotas at some dealerships...so many oil changes, trans fluid changes, etc.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

yeah, it pissed me off they charged me so much for what I think should be warranty work.. i mean, clean injectors after 45k miles? seems unrealistic to me. but hey, it need SOMETHING right?

then on the way home, i decide to test thier work.. same curved road..

i floor it.. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

FLASHING LIGHT.. goes away when i calm down

i go home.. really ticked. i wait 30 minutes.

i go back to the same road.. floor it.. nuttin.. runs fine..

ill test it tomorrow.

$10 says they didnt fix the real problem, like replace the plug wires, or spark plugs, or coil packs, or the cracked piston you have knockin. (Just kididng about that last one, breath easy). :crackup:

Anyways, I would say probably 70% of the dealerships are mostly honest in the repair department.

Would you ever know if they were telling you the truth if you didnt eprsonally know? :dunno:

Havent you seen thsoe undercover investigations on Dateline or your local news channel where they intentionally break an inexpensive part or just simply unplug somethin like the MAF or temperature wire? :dunno: Then they take it to a dealership and tell them their SES light is on and ask them to fix it. Some dealers are honest and either fix it for free or under warranty or charge the modest $50 inspection fee. Some of them come back and thell them that the MAF needs to be replaced for like $400 or the thermostat needs to be replaced for $150 etc. Then they go in with the footage to the dealership management and confront them! :thumbs: The one I saw on my local news channel did it to 5 places, 3 of them were honest, 2 were not...about 60%.