how to paint your bowtie

chevybird2006

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I ordered one with a gray outline, rather than the red in the picture. I hope the gray isn't too dark. I want some contrast with the black. I'll post a picture once it's on.

Here's a picture of the bowtie overlay that I ordered. I like it. I didn't want to add chrome. What do you think?

post-9798-1182700977_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Here's a picture of the bowtie overlay that I ordered. I like it. I didn't want to add chrome. What do you think?

Hank....I really like the bowtie..i was looking for somethin similar..where did u order it from???

I am also looking to black out my stock front grill....what would I use to paint it??

Hank....I really like the bowtie..i was looking for somethin similar..where did u order it from???

I am also looking to black out my stock front grill....what would I use to paint it??

Here's the link to the bowtie overlay on eBay that I got. They come in various colors surrounding the black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-07-Chevr...134108348QQrdZ1

For the price, I bought 2, in case I messed one up.

I used flat black spray paint (probably Krylon, I don't remember) to paint the stock grill before installing the Carriage Works billet grille. Using flat paint helped, I thought, to hide the stock grille better behind the overlay. Good luck!

Here's the link to the bowtie overlay on eBay that I got. They come in various colors surrounding the black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-07-Chevr...134108348QQrdZ1

For the price, I bought 2, in case I messed one up.

I used flat black spray paint (probably Krylon, I don't remember) to paint the stock grill before installing the Carriage Works billet grille. Using flat paint helped, I thought, to hide the stock grille better behind the overlay. Good luck!

thanx... i want the stock grill to remain, but just blacked out..would i still use the flat black spray??

thanx... i want the stock grill to remain, but just blacked out..would i still use the flat black spray??

Probably not. By the same token, I don't think you'd want it high gloss either. Maybe some sort of a matte finish paint is available. Would somebody with more knowledge of paint like to chime in?

Probably not. By the same token, I don't think you'd want it high gloss either. Maybe some sort of a matte finish paint is available. Would somebody with more knowledge of paint like to chime in?
I installed my bolt over black grills without painting over the silver. It worked out great. I also painted my bowtie with plastic paint by Krylon.I took my silver air intakes to a good body shop and had them painted and clear coated.

garage007.jpg

Edited by Dr.Love38 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I just painted my bowtie tonight.... I used ZEP industrial purple degreaser to remove the gold paint, then cleaned the plastic and painted with dupli-color black. I noticed that the clear bowtie still had a gold tint when I was painting it....and the emblem didn't quite fit together right when I went to re-glue the pieces together. :happysad: