how to paint your bowtie

chevybird2006

well sooooo many people have their trucks debadged and it looks great...i just wanted to try something different. well here is what i did:

1. debadged

2. removed bowtie from silverado emblem. i used a metal paint scaper with a pointed edge because it is thin enough to get under the edge without damaging the plastic...just be gentle.

a. soaked bowtie in easyoff oven cleaner (heavy duty in the yellow can the fume free kind doesnt work)to remove gold. this WILL NOT damage the plastic.this does take a little work and a while for it to work to get all of the layers off. scrubbing it with a toothbrush rinsing and repeating helps.

b. taped up the front of emblem with blue painters tape.

c. paint it (insert your color here) (it doesnt have to be pretty because you will see the underside of the paint)

3. i used acetone to remove all of the paint from the silverado emblem to make it completely chrome.

4. hot glued the bowtie back to the silverado emblem.

and here is the finished the product:

2338132_9_full.jpg

2338132_13_full.jpg

i also painted the front bowtie.

1. for my 06 i removed the 4 push fastners from across the top of the grill. i then pulled the bottom left corner of the grill untill it popped loose,then bottom right corner, top left, top right, then on the far right edge between the headlights i pulled there until it popped loose and the same on the left (i guess this could be different but this is what worked best for my truck)

2. removed the 2 twist bolts from rear of emblem.

3. seperated the two pieces of the emblem with the paint scraper.

4. soak the emblem in the easyoff to remove the gold. this does take a little work and a while for it to work to get all of the layers off. scrubbing it with a toothbrush rinsing and repeating helps.

5. taped up the front of emblem with blue painters tape.

6. paint it (insert your color here) (it doesnt have to be pretty becauseyou will see the underside of the paint)

7. ***i didnt like this step.it works but i know there are better ideas out there***i used an epoxy to put the two halves back together...but i reccommend you use something else on this like some kind of silicone...something that wont get hard against the paint.(i am redoing mine due to the epoxy)and see if you can come up with something better.

8. reinstall

finished product:

2338132_11_full.jpg

2338132_12_full.jpg

total cost for this...under $20... mighty nice i must say:head:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I painted mine by just taking it out and sanding it down on the outside. I started with 120 grit, then 180, 220, and 400 to finish. Used the arrival blue spray touch up paint, then added an SS emblem to it. Yours being on the underside will be more ding/scratch resistant. Definitely changes the look for the better, imo. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
well sooooo many people have their trucks debadged and it looks great...i just wanted to try something different. well here is what i did:

1. debadged

2. removed bowtie from silverado emblem. i used a metal paint scaper with a pointed edge because it is thin enough to get under the edge without damaging the plastic...just be gentle.

a. soaked bowtie in easyoff oven cleaner (heavy duty in the yellow can the fume free kind doesnt work)to remove gold. this WILL NOT damage the plastic.this does take a little work and a while for it to work to get all of the layers off. scrubbing it with a toothbrush rinsing and repeating helps.

b. taped up the front of emblem with blue painters tape.

c. paint it (insert your color here) (it doesnt have to be pretty because you will see the underside of the paint)

3. i used acetone to remove all of the paint from the silverado emblem to make it completely chrome.

4. hot glued the bowtie back to the silverado emblem.

and here is the finished the product:

2338132_9_full.jpg

2338132_13_full.jpg

i also painted the front bowtie.

1. for my 06 i removed the 4 push fastners from across the top of the grill. i then pulled the bottom left corner of the grill untill it popped loose,then bottom right corner, top left, top right, then on the far right edge between the headlights i pulled there until it popped loose and the same on the left (i guess this could be different but this is what worked best for my truck)

2. removed the 2 twist bolts from rear of emblem.

3. seperated the two pieces of the emblem with the paint scraper.

4. soak the emblem in the easyoff to remove the gold. this does take a little work and a while for it to work to get all of the layers off. scrubbing it with a toothbrush rinsing and repeating helps.

5. taped up the front of emblem with blue painters tape.

6. paint it (insert your color here) (it doesnt have to be pretty becauseyou will see the underside of the paint)

7. ***i didnt like this step.it works but i know there are better ideas out there***i used an epoxy to put the two halves back together...but i reccommend you use something else on this like some kind of silicone...something that wont get hard against the paint.(i am redoing mine due to the epoxy)and see if you can come up with something better.

8. reinstall

finished product:

2338132_11_full.jpg

2338132_12_full.jpg

total cost for this...under $20... mighty nice i must say:head:

hahaha, thats the first thing idid to my old Silverado....its def a 2nd look mod...the red is def an eye catcher...nice job..!

BYN

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...