V-Max Mods

Just wondering if anybody out there has done any mods to their V-Max yet? What have you done? Would you recommend it? Was it woth it? etc. etc....

I haven't done anything to my 06 V-Max yet, still getting through the break-in period :banghead: , but I can't wait to get my hands on her :thumbs: . Thanks for any and all input

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an 05 VHO but it's the same thing prior to the rebadging depending on what model you have. Is it 2wd or 4wd? reg cab or extended cab?

I am dropped right about 4/4, bear brakes, 22's, magnaflow exhaust, outlaw intake, Tuned with HPTuners, Vette servos, 4.10 gears, the bear kit was also a drum to disk conversion, tinted windows, billet grills, lifted the front bumper a bit to get rid of some of the nasty gap, line X, Gaylords x-2000 lid, shaved tailgate, painted front upper and lower plastics, mirrors, billet third brake light also painted body color, matched door handles, maybe more I missed...

I like everything I have done so far.

Just purchased my 2006, Black, GMC, VMax, Denali CC/SB a couple of weeks ago and the new Corsa Sport exhaust arrived today! My only mods to date have been cosmetic but after the new pipes I may add a CAI.....still undecided on a Voltec or K&N.....from what I keep reading in these posts the only real performance change of value is a "tune" by this Zippy guy! Maybe I'll drive up to MI later this summer and check him out.....wish I could attend the Zippy2 event next week but don't think I can work it into my schedule???

Also considering a 2" Beltec drop but since she's AWD I'm still looking into the "pros & cons" for this mod....with only 200 miles on the odo I got some time to think about the "drop"! I'd like a bit better handling and felt a mild 2" drop would give me what I want.

I hope to post some pics of my new black beast....she has the factory 20" chrome wheels and looks SEXY....I can't wait to wake the BEAST up with some performance mods!

Jeff in SW Ohio

So far I've done the basics, Volant CAI, B&B Catback(Soon to be Corsa, should arrive at my house this week), PCM tune, and 160* Stat. I like them all but now I'm fallin prey to bein power hungry. I'm goin to try keep it the way it is and maybe do a cam in the future. I also have black out headlight and tailight covers ariving in the mail today :D

My other plans are to level it out by droppin the rear 2", I want to put some new black rims on it and get some different tires. I can't decide on which rim or tire to go with though. When you put the Corsa sport on put up some sound clips :thumbs:

The Corsa is going on as I post this reply....I'm technically challenged when it comes to computer stuff but my 18 year old son should know how to post some sound clips when it is done!!! I added pics of my VMax Denali to the Garage but I don't have a clue how to get them in the Avitar of in my signature.....i.e. technically challanged....maybe I don't have enough posts yet? I read somewhere that I needed 100 posts to add pics???

Anyway back to the exhaust....I didn't want extremely loud, not that I'm getting old but I've been there & done that....I've been a FlowMaster guy for longer than I care to say...had FM's on everything from a 68 GTO to an 02 TrailBlazer! Even have one on my beater 1990 Buick Reatta 3.8L V6......it's got a little drone even with factory cat still on the car but sound decent from idle thru WOT. I went with the Corsa Sport because most guys said it wasn't that much louder than stock and I liked the sound from the 6.0L Escalade clip at Corsa's website....just hope it is a little softer at idle. This truck is a driver I'm a road warrior and put about 30-40K per year on a vehicle with my job and I need to hear myself think when I drive!

I'll keep you guys posted!

BTW-Nice truck BowtieEarl....saw your pic and I wish the Denali's were available in RED! Unfortunately Black, White & Birch are the 3 colors available for Denali's? I think a red Denali would be sweeeeet!

Show:

305/55/17 Nitto TG's for winter on the stock rims

295/50/20 Hankook Ventus' on Chevy 20x8.5 for summer

GM accessory black grille shell (reversed chrome)

black bowtie

USSpeedo stainless gauge cluster w/tranny temp

Sylvania Silveratar fogs, lows and highs

4 way headlight mod

GM accessory front plate bracket dropped below the bumper (no pix, just did it)

GM accessory window vent cover thingys

Reflex spray in bed liner

GM accessory rubber bed matt

GM accessory upgrade (molded/fixed) rug matts

de-badged everything except the Vortec-Max on the doors

Go:

AFR 205 Stage2 heads

Comp cam

Comp pushrods

8.1 injectors

160 t-stat

ASP underdrive pulleys

Pacesetter coated long tube headers

True duals 3" stainless w/stock cats and 6x30 round Magnaflows to chrome turn downs hidden behind bumper

custom tuned (road and dyno)

spare tire delete

modded stock air box + KN drop in filter

and I still need a sway bar kit

Silverado_7606.jpg

Exhaust clip

Edited by Sum 1 (see edit history)

Yeah, I think if the denali's came in red I would have one to. Since they didn't I set my heart on the truck I got, I honestly think it's the best 1/2 truck on the market, and by far is the best truck I've ever owned.

sum 1 what kind of cam are you putting in? i am looking at getting the lingenfelter gt2-3...of course i know nothingt about cams so who knows. i am going to go the n/a route so i will stick with cai, exhaust, custom tune, and a decent cam for stock idle. any recommendations?

sum 1 what kind of cam are you putting in? i am looking at getting the lingenfelter gt2-3...of course i know nothingt about cams so who knows. i am going to go the n/a route so i will stick with cai, exhaust, custom tune, and a decent cam for stock idle. any recommendations?

I think they said that cam is best if you are going to go s/c later.

I can't suggest what you should get for a cam. There's so much involved in that descision that I threw my hands up and let my local race shop figure it out. Plus everybody's got an opinion, just ask them.

My .02 is figure out exactly what kind of power you want in the end, consider drivabilities/towing and then make informed choices as to how to get there. I'm looking to make as much torque as possible and still be completely daily driver/towing/hauling friendly. The goal is 400rwtq NA. But I'm also setting myself up to spray it next summer if I feel like it.

• 4 weeks later...
But I'm also setting myself up to spray it next summer if I feel like it.

I just bought a 4x4 V-Max and I love the truck.

I was also considering nitrous. It's a ton of fun.

Do you know how well this motor takes the spray and what the limits are? Has anyone here broke a motor yet? haha

Edited by Brandoson (see edit history)

Well bught the Gmc Red Vmax about 3 weeks ago. So far I have ran high flow cats 3" pipe to an Imco 3" dual in/out and then ran the pipes out the side in front of the rear tire. Just ordered the Dynatech Supermaxx headers. Going to get the shift kit and servos installed next week. Will order the tune either from Nelson or Westers after headers are put in. After driving a Lightning for a few years I think I will S/C this one after the first of the year. Then maybe drop it a couple of inches.

BTW, has anyone ran the 305/50*R20.

just added the pcmforless tune....you can definalty feel it shift haha....good stuff. as far as gas mileage i will find out this friday when i drive the 570 miles back to maryland from georgia, same goes for the speed limiter. next will be a cam or headers once i find what cam i need for dailey driving and red light racing ha.