HELP!! COOLANT LEAKING FROM HEADER BOLT

Black2003SS

Thats right. I blew a header gasket and noticed that one...only of hte header bolts had coolant leaking from it on the ground. The gasket was saturated with coolant around that bolt hole and exhaust port. I changed the cheap gasket that came with my pace setters and put in some good felpros. The good news is the leak has stopped temporarily. Obviously I fixed the header leak as well. But my question is, is it normal on these LS1 style heads to have coolant in the header bolt holes? I dont know anything about how coolant circulates on these engines. Could I ruptured a water jacket in the head? I checked the oil and there is no water/coolant in the oil and the truck runs awesome, no funny noises or anything. If I cracked the head, wouldnt everything be a mess? Or blew a head gasket? I doubt it is that, but wanted to check with some experts out there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thats right.  I blew a header gasket and noticed that one...only of hte header bolts had coolant leaking from it on the ground.  The gasket was saturated with coolant around that bolt hole and exhaust port.  I changed the cheap gasket that came with my pace setters and put in some good felpros.  The good news is the leak has stopped temporarily.  Obviously I fixed the header leak as well.  But my question is, is it normal on these LS1 style heads to have coolant in the header bolt holes?  I dont know anything about how coolant circulates on these engines.  Could I ruptured a water jacket in the head?  I checked the oil and there is no water/coolant in the oil and the truck runs awesome, no funny noises or anything.  If I cracked the head, wouldnt everything be a mess?  Or blew a head gasket?  I doubt it is that, but wanted to check with some experts out there.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

I'm no expert but you usualy don't find coolant in the exhaust. The systems are seperate from each other...unless a blown head gasket etc.

Thats what I thought too, but if it was a head gasket, I would be puffing white smoke out the tail pipes or have coolant in the oil pan...neither of which I have. Plus, performance and comperession would down as well. The coolant is actually coming from the header bolt...its not in the "exhaust" system or anything. Since I replaced the header gasket, the truck runs flawless and soudns badass...so I am hoping I am ok.

It's been a freaken long ass time since I've worked on anything like a SBC but I recall they did have a bolt on something like the Power stearing etc ( Older blocks) that went into the water jacket. Please don't quote me on that lol Anyways, that maybe something they did with the 6.0L?

Umm now I'm thinking it was a bolt on the machnical fuel pump that went into the oil area...damn I hate when I forget this stuff :banghead:

Edited by GotBoost (see edit history)

It's been a freaken long ass time since I've worked on anything like a SBC but I recall they did have a bolt on something like the Power stearing etc ( Older blocks) that went into the water jacket. Please don't quote me on that lol Anyways, that maybe something they did with the 6.0L?

Umm now I'm thinking it was a bolt on the machnical fuel pump that went into the oil area...damn I hate when I forget this stuff  :banghead:

:withstupid: I have not worked on the LSx exhaust (yet!) but it is common for some engine head designs to have the header bolts thread right into the coolant passage; I would try doping the bolt threads with hi-temp RTV.

Good to hear you like the headers :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Good news. I spoke to a master mechanic at a chevy dealership and he said yes, two or three of the bolts on the LS1 style heads and gen III engines do tap into the water jackets. He said some RTV or other type of sealer will cure the problem. No cracked head!!! So relieved right now.

• 13 years later...