NEW TRANNY COMING

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wondered the same thing about the flp transmissions. i don't even like the idea of the vacuum controlled shifting. i feel there should have just been more time working on the shift programming than eliminating the pcm shifting. i've always felt the bigger names were art carr, level 10, and pro-built. i only learned of rossler a couple years ago and if i recall correctly they have the fastest 4L60E pass as well as some kick ass credentials. that's not taking anything away from flp either, i just haven't found what put's them at the top of this list. :shakehead:

I hear Rossler come up a few times too. I want to check into them more. Someday, the 6spd in the vette's going to need some work, and I hear they are pretty good.

As for the other names, all of the seemed big with TH350 and TH400's, but haven't heard of any late offering. :sigh:

zippy

FLp level 4and 5's are still pcm shifted just vacumn assisted. You can still control when tranny shifts. You even hold any gear at any rpm :jester: when not in D. This is why I have the extra tach with shift lite. I went with FLP because of reputation :chevy:.

i didn't see anything wrong with the factory tach, but more my question with having the tach is, if you can program the trans to shift when you want it too, why manually shift it.? :confused: FLP does have a pretty good reputation, i'd hope you didn't think i was taking a shot at ya or nothing. just somewhat conversating on the topic.

i wondered the same thing about the flp transmissions. i don't even like the idea of the vacuum controlled shifting. i feel there should have just been more time working on the shift programming than eliminating the pcm shifting. i've always felt the bigger names were art carr, level 10, and pro-built. i only learned of rossler a couple years ago and if i recall correctly they have the fastest 4L60E pass as well as some kick ass credentials. that's not taking anything away from flp either, i just haven't found what put's them at the top of this list.  :shakehead:

I hear Rossler come up a few times too. I want to check into them more. Someday, the 6spd in the vette's going to need some work, and I hear they are pretty good.

As for the other names, all of the seemed big with TH350 and TH400's, but haven't heard of any late offering. :sigh:

Rossler does a great tranny. My C5 had one. FLP will get you to the same place for several hundred less :smash:

I went with FLP because its the best tranny you can buy. I'm still pounding on mine and its holding up without any problems. :D

zippy

I know you were'nt taken a shot at me. Just askin questions.

These trannies are fully progamable(pcm) LS1 edit Or flash programmer per tire size. Manually shifting gives U the option to ring out any gear under any situation via the shift lite(at these speeds do not have to look up or down).It is just an option to play with. I love options :thumbs: . But you are right the stock tach is perfect if you are not going to manually shift and let the pcm do the thinking, I have both options :thumbs:

to mn and setti, what were your final t.c. choice and what do they stall at (they never seem to stall at the rated). also, are you getting boost by the point that the converter comes in?

Now I have a question for you about your trans swap. Did you ever think of going to a 6 speed out of a Vette or a Camero ? All the parts would be readily avaible from a bone yard and all the pedels come on the lower end silverado with a stick. I would think this swap would be killer and you get a beefy 6 speed and get ride of the transfer case.

Also have you taking it to the strip to see what the differences are now that you 86ed the Tcase and have the new tranny ? Wondering what the difference would be with the less weight and drag of the front driveline.

Dave :chevy:

Davewfo

I think you make a good point (6 speed) and I think someone has already done this on this site.

I will be heading for the track this Wen. now that I have over 200 miles on it.

I have not taken out the transfer case either, just to install tranny. This truck would never hook up on the street without it , as it is I was leaving 10' strips everywhere today with awd. I think the traction at the track and the 60' times the awd will more than make up for its rolling weight. We will see. On the stop watch today average 0-60 was 4.4 sec. Just a reference point.

Put my stock tires on

36223147.jpg

Big dif in weight

36223203.jpg

Funny on this scale it had o percent body fat unlike me. My wife is looking at me funny with her scale. Not that I ever see her using it.

This truck would never hook up on the street without it as it is I was leaving 10' strips everywhere today with awd......On the stop watch today average 0-60 was 4.4 sec. Just a reference point.

4.4...not bad for a sports car.. :wtf: ...pics, videos, and some of the left over rubber from the track if you could please... :thumbs:

Archived