NEW TRANNY COMING

blackhawk

Took out my 3&4 clucth pk. Read under ( Transgo shift kit and servo's). Trany just could not take it launched it about 90mph.

My truck came out hard about 3200 and pulled strong to about 50mph @ 5900rpm and slapped 2nd pulled down to 3800 and pulled hard to about 90mph where it went into neutral and tach instantly redlined :devil:. I let off as quick as I could :cry: .

Ouch !! there goes 3rd and 4th :smash: .

It is funny when your gone from this site for a while I feel like I'm missing all this great info and friends. The peolple on this site are very funny and quite intelligent (some brilliant gearheads). Since I have been on here I have had a blast and have learned a great deal. I have not seen any arguing, bickering and slamming. Everyone is quite patient with newcomers and thier questions or postings. I can get almost any question answered here.

This is a great site with awesome peolple. :cheers::cheers:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

setti:

Oh what a bummer to hear man! :cry: I had 2nd and 6th gear go out on my motorcycle twice over the years and I know all to well what rev limiting feels and sounds like. 6th gear going out on the bike scared the crap out of me! :eek:

I agree with what you have said about the forum here, it is great and is becoming a friendly community. :thumbs: Nothing like some of the mutiny I have run across on other message forums, nothing but balderdash! :nono:

:cheers:

Got a call from chuck at FLP. He is shipping out my tranny tues. or wen. He was waiting for the parts to be cryogenically hardened. He told me he definetly needs my take out tranny, because of the cost of making these trannies, not like the 4l60E.

So anyone ordering one of his trannys for thier SS you will have to send in your tranny or send back the take out tranny or pay a higher core charge.

Thats not true. He just knows the 4L65 is a more expensive transmission. He is supposed to be replacing and upgrading all the parts that matter. The 65E has more clutch packs and a 5 pinion planetary. I guess he would need it if you were getting a 5 pinion planetary put in but not paying for it (usually its an upgrade) since your core already has one. But I think you are paying the upgrade price for the 5 pinion, so your core doesn't need to be a 4L65.

Basically, if your credit card is hit for an additional $600, like it should be, thats the core price. Don't send back a core, lose the $600. Send me your core, I'll send you $600 plus shipping. :) If you really want to send him a trans, I'll find a good plain 4L60 to send him in exchange for your core. Your 65E is worth more to me since I can have it rebuilt locally.

Thats not true. He just knows the 4L65 is a more expensive transmission. He is supposed to be replacing and upgrading all the parts that matter. The 65E has more clutch packs and a 5 pinion planetary. I guess he would need it if you were getting a 5 pinion planetary put in but not paying for it (usually its an upgrade) since your core already has one. But I think you are paying the upgrade price for the 5 pinion, so your core doesn't need to be a 4L65.

Basically, if your credit card is hit for an additional $600, like it should be, thats the core price. Don't send back a core, lose the $600. Send me your core, I'll send you $600 plus shipping. :) If you really want to send him a trans, I'll find a good plain 4L60 to send him in exchange for your core. Your 65E is worth more to me since I can have it rebuilt locally.

I agree here. In my conversations w/ Chuck, part of the level IV was the 5 planetry gear set-up. I thing BigTex made you a good offer!

In a nutshell, the L65 differs from the 4L60-E in these ways:

* Five-pinion gears for input and reaction gearsets (versus four-pinion gears in the L60)

* Heat-treated stator shaft splines

* Induction hardened turbine shaft

* Heavier-duty low/reverse roller clutch

* Additional friction plate added to 3-4 clutch (seven plates versus six in L60)

* Shot-peened output shaft

* Revised valve body calibration.

Just what m396 said. All those parts listed are parts that FLP CHARGES you for in their level iv transmission. It shouldn't matter if you send them a 65E, a 60E, or no core at all. You are paying for the upgraded parts when you buy from FLP.

If they plan on reusing some parts from a 65E in a rebuild, someone should be getting a discount, right?

BIg Tex

Just got a phone call from Chuck at FLP. He has been reading our posts. He is sending out my tranny today :pop: and asked me to post this info, hopefully I can explain this.

For SS owners this tranny is now his new LEVEL 5 tranny. The cost of this tranny to SS owners is $1895. (this includes the Oct. discount 10%) This is with your core trade-in. He needs the core for parts to help keep down the price of new mods(Level 5) he is doing for 4L65 owners that are above and beyond 4L60 level 4 changes. I gave him my word that I would send back my tranny to help keep this cost down. He is going to be posting info on this site as he has had numerous orders for these tranny's from SS owners. He told me he will post all the mods on this site :thumbs: that are done to LEVEL 5 (4L65) tranny's and pricing shortly. If you need more info call Chuck at FLP (630) 820-9294

Interesting. I'd like to know which 4L65E parts are staying stock, and which ones are getting upgraded.

If he is rebuilding a 4L65E for you as a level5, did he start with a 65E? Once you get the trans, I'll look up what vehicle it came out of so we can see if it was a 65E to start with.

Thanks

Richard

Not to offend Chuck or FLP, but a stock 4L65E is worth more than your core. I could have it repaired under warranty and at $600 charge, its worth that much (and more) to me. Basically, the trans is only 6 months old or less and should be fixed under dealers warranty. I'd have it fixed under warranty and save it as a spare. I can see sending in a totally trashed 10 year old trans as a core, but not one with low low miles and under warranty.

I'll give you $800 plus shipping for it. :devil:

Archived