Cam and valve spring install

BenKey

I wasn't really planning on it but since you got new heads I have been thinking about it. Especially since I saw heads on the Texas Speed and Performance site for FI engines.

You know how the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality goes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't really planning on it but since you got new heads I have been thinking about it. Especially since I saw heads on the Texas Speed and Performance site for FI engines.

You know how the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality goes.

Go for it. :thumbs: It'll be the race to see who can blow out the bottom end first. :jester:

The sound was an unexpected reward, I guess. I've gotten quite a few compliments about the sound. A couple have asked me what I done to it to get the sound. I just say, "what do you mean?" They usually say "I can tell you've done something to it." That's pretty cool.

Hopefully, I can increase the sound a little with a new one.

A new cam, Ben? Any dislikes with this one?

I'm thinking of how nasty this would sound with a couple of cutouts pointing to each side of the truck.

That's probably going to be my plan -- keep the stock exhaust for a bit of stealth and a stock appearance... but yank off the 'sheep disguise' with a pair of electronic cutouts.

That sounds really cool,  like a snorting bull ready to impale a jaywalker. Hey how about putting a flowmaster on then you’ll have a real snarling beast!
I think it would sound good with the ASM headers and then some form of aftermarket muffler. I don't know about flowmaster though. I was thinking either flopro/proflo (whichever), or magnaflow. Then we're talking. Maybe by Jan.

Actually, I love this cam. But soon, new heads may go on, and I figure while I'm in there I may as well upsize a little. To be honest, this cam was a test to see if I could do it. I knew from the beginning it wasn't going to stay, just wasn't sure how long it was going to be before it left. Time will tell. ;)

That sounds really cool,  like a snorting bull ready to impale a jaywalker. Hey how about putting a flowmaster on then you’ll have a real snarling beast!

I think it would sound good with the ASM headers and then some form of aftermarket muffler. I don't know about flowmaster though. I was thinking either flopro/proflo (whichever), or magnaflow. Then we're talking. Maybe by Jan.

Go with the Magnaflow, I would have purchased one had I know about the internal x-pipe. But if you are worried about it being to loud (I doubt it, your still a young buck ;) ) the Magnaflow sounds almost exactly like a flowmaster 50 series… :thumbs:

Shouldn’t have passed on the deal from ASM…shame, shame, Ben… :P

Go for it. :thumbs:  It'll be the race to see who can blow out the bottom end first. :jester:

Sounds good to me. A race to blow the bottom.

Seriously, I may hold off on the heads until after the first of the year and just stick with the cam, pulley and tune for now. Besides I am tired of being under a hood. It took me all day today to change the plugs and wires on my wife's Montero Sport. Had to take the whole intake manifold off to get to the 1, 3 and 5 plug. :smash: She should have bought a Tahoe like I told her to.

Actually, I love this cam. But soon, new heads may go on, and I figure while I'm in there I may as well upsize a little. To be honest, this cam was a test to see if I could do it. I knew from the beginning it wasn't going to stay, just wasn't sure how long it was going to be before it left. Time will tell. ;)

Might also wamt to give SpinTech a look. They have a dual 2.5" in/ out that they really believe will have little resonance on a 6.0L truck. I want to give it a try, but just haven't had time yet. They use a 16ga steel body, and with the circular baffles, claim to get less resonance from flexing too.

Sportsman Street XL ---- 33310

SpinTech

I could be wrong, but I think the springs in the Z06 are not rated much different than our springs. No way are they better than the Comp 918 springs, nontheless. I think if they were, we'd all be trying to get them.

Archived