Cam and valve spring install

BenKey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been noticing since the install that when starting off in WOT, the 1-2 shift is different. I have not changed anything with my PCM yet. But, the RPMs seem to be a a good bit higher when it does shift, and......today when leaving work, the tires actually chirped second gear. I had wood instantly! :D It blew me away! Almost, and I do mean almost, makes me wish I had gone a little bigger.

Pretty anxious to see what the cam/s-chgr combo will be like. :P

I had wood instantly!  It blew me away! Almost, and I do mean almost, makes me wish I had gone a little bigger.

thats the way i felt first time i heard wheels spin. only have got it to do it a few times but damn it felt good.

BenKey and BigTex,

Three questions:

1) Do you think the cam will pass smog in California?

2) What is the next larger cam that can be installed without updating the stock program?

3) What other valvetrain parts need to be replaced, when installing this cam?

BenKey and BigTex,

Three questions:

1) Do you think the cam will pass smog in California?

2) What is the next larger cam that can be installed without updating the stock program?

3) What other valvetrain parts need to be replaced, when installing this cam?

1. Not sure about being smog legal. Although, I'm sure whatever company you go with, they should be able to tell you.

2. For this particular Comp cam series of cams, this is the biggest you can go without a new program.

3. I only replaced valve springs with the cam and that was it. I believe most manufacturers will recommend, but don't know if it's actually required. Comp cams sells a kit with new springs, rods, lifters, keepers, and locks for about $450, if you just want to upgrade everything while you're in there.

You don't need to really replace anything more than BenKey did. The springs and cam. Titanium retainers will lighten the valvetrain, but you won't see a difference on that sized cam. I agree with Ben, getting a larger cam will make it more difficult to stick with the stock program. Ask Ben, I'm sure it wouls like a little more rpms at idle and definitely need altered shift points. I do think this cam will pass smog with no problems. I think its a pretty good all around cam.

Ben - Now that you have some miles under it, how does that low end feel? I nkow the upper rpms are much better.

BigTex - the acceleration is a lot better, especially from a dead stop and at WOT. I think overall it didn't change too much in the low end, which is good. I always felt that the truck had great low end and that hasn't changed other than the fact it feels like it's begging you to punch it, if that makes sense.

I know everyone would say that they feel the same way without the cam, but I think the engine tone is slightly different in a way that makes you hit the pedal differently, and I don't mean that in a joking way. Do you get what I mean? Maybe it's just me?

Did I answer your question? We'll find out this weekend how good it mixes with a Radix :D

how is the gas mpg now

You can edit your post, without reposting. ;)

Gas mileage has gone down some. I know the cam has affected it some, but it's a combination of me and the cam. I would like to try and take it easy for a tank just to see how much it's affected it, but that's no fun.

The Comp cam one under the one I have claims to not affect gas mileage.

BigTex- how's yours?

My truck runs great Ben, thanks for asking. Actually, its not even running right now, but it did. I'm finishing up my header install and some exhaust work. My cam may have eaten up some of my low end, but the converter fixed that issue. Its been begging for headers and open exhaust, so I'm going to give it what it needs. My nitrous kit is the last thing on the agenda. Hopefuly get that done within the next week.

My gas mileage - poor. My truck dares me to punch it after every stop, even with the wife and kids inside. I love hearing the kids say "Daddy, go faster", then hearing my wife say "this truck is just a toy to you isn't it?". My response: "Yes it is, now get out so I can play." :D

Ben, that one has me stumped. I thought about mounting in the bed, under rear seat, even in custom brackets under the bed. I like the "in the bed" option, but don't want passers by messing with it (or stealing it). Under the seat may be what I do, but I don't really want to. Against frame somewhere would be cool, but I'd be concerned about hitting bumps and such. I have a couple of toolboxes that I coud use to hide and protect the bottle in, but I didn't want to go that route either.

I may just make my mounts in the bed, but pull the bottle out when not in use. I could hide the fittings under my bedrug.

Probably have it temporarily installed under the rear seat until I make permanent plans.

You got the Radix yet? From what I've seen, it looks like an easy install. Won't be long until we have several quick Silv SS trucks around the country.

Archived