Cam and valve spring install

BenKey

Well, with a wideband O2, LS1 Edit, and AutoTap w/ EFI Live, I bet I could tune it better than superchips. As soon as I get a little more experiance under my belt anyway. I really wouldn't spend the money on the Radix w/o doing a custom tune, it truly is the key! Also, I don't think you will be able to read the PCM w/ superchips, you will have to have the dealer flash your PCM back to stock first. :(

Look forward to that sound clip ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, I don't think you will be able to read the PCM w/ superchips, you will have to have the dealer flash your PCM back to stock first. :(

It's my understanding that you will be able to copy the Superchips (radix) tune into LS1 Edit, make any fine changes that you want, if any, and then reflash the PCM.

Also, I don't think you will be able to read the PCM w/ superchips, you will have to have the dealer flash your PCM back to stock first.  :(

It's my understanding that you will be able to copy the Superchips (radix) tune into LS1 Edit, make any fine changes that you want, if any, and then reflash the PCM.

Could be, but at last I knew, LS1 Edit couldn't read a locked out PCM. This is something that Ed Wright and Superchips has always done, again, last I knew.

I pulled an Ed W tune out of a 99 truck, it was locked, and I couldn't do anything to it. I did the same thing with my old hypertech, it worked fine. I also have a custom superchips tune from a supercharged 4.8L that works fine. Not sure about the newer Microtuner - trial and error.

Here is an attempt at the sound of the truck.

Turn your computer up a little. Not quite the same, but close.

Nearly 3meg in size. Dial-up guys may not want to try.

cam sound

Let it completely download first. Then replay. The first time playing, the transfer rate drags down the sound.

Not 100% sure on any gain. Comp cams does not have a dyno sheet for this one cam. However, I have seen one for this cam on a 5.3L, that also had underdrive pulleys that gained 36hp. So, if I had to guess, I would say somewhere around 25hp. Just a guess. It's an extremely noticeable difference in the way the truck pulls, especially in the mid to upper range. In fact, in all the bolt-ons I've done to different vehicles over the years, this has made the single biggest difference of any, and some of those were two at a time changes.

update, hows the cam doing, gas milage worse? it sounds real good, need to put one on there with a rev :thumbs:

Not too sure about the gas mileage yet, but I think it will not be affected too much. I wanted to do with a rev, but kind o0f hard to be the one with the camera and punch the pedal. I would have asked my wife, but she would have did one of those eye rolls that say, "you're freakin' kiddin' me, right"?

update, hows the cam doing,  gas milage worse?    it sounds real good,  need to put one on there with a rev :thumbs:

Not too sure about the gas mileage yet, but I think it will not be affected too much. I wanted to do with a rev, but kind o0f hard to be the one with the camera and punch the pedal. I would have asked my wife, but she would have did one of those eye rolls that say, "you're freakin' kiddin' me, right"?

I married one of those as well. She thinks that the money on the house is for both of us to enjoy. The money on the truck is me only. Now how can that be fair? At least she tries to understand, sometimes.

Archived