Cam and valve spring install

BenKey

Well, got the Competition cam in today and everything buttoned back up and back together. Took it for a spin to test out and everything checked out and no leaking fluids anywhere - which was good.

The cam install was fairly easy, or easier than I thought it was. I did get quite a few tips from Big Tex / MN C5, and their advice was invaluable. I think anyone who is a mildly experienced wrench turner could do this. Take your time and do everything right and nothing will go wrong.

Some things that I really didn't think too hard about when I planned to do was the special tools it took to accomplish. I knew I would need a few, but the cost is what I didn't expect. I spent nearly an addit'l $200 for tools that I didn't have, and believe me, I have a lot of tools in a big Craftsman tool chest that stands about 65" tall. I have never done some of this stuff, so extra tools were needed.

I did read up on it quite a bit before I started. LS1howto.com was the best source of info to do it - thanks BigTex. I read the procedure at least twice and used the Haynes manual from my '99 GMC for addit'l backup.

I did have someone come by this morning and help me for about four hours. He had done a few before and I just needed him for backup. It's better to be shown how, more than be told how to do little things like how to handle and place little things like the valve spring locks and a few other things, little tricks to use.

I recommend doing the cam yourself if you plan to do. A great experience for me, although I'm wore out. Not that bad at all. Just get someone to provide that technical backup to help you as a safety measure.

If you like the way your truck sounds now, it's nothing compared to what it sounds with the cam. It has that lobe sound that even my wife liked, of all things. It has an even deeper rumble and my exhaust is still stock.

Radix is up on deck next. Should be here soon.

Oh yeah, I do have some pics that I will post tomorrow. Right now I need a cold one.................Pepsi.

-Ben

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great Ben. I am glad everything went smoothly for you. Sounds like you did your homework. I wouldn't mind doing that myself but I think transmission work is next in line. After a new exhaust that is. Now I am really looking forward to that ride in Nov.

Damn, you got more guts then I do, Ben. :thumbs: I think I'm pretty handy with my hands and can do almost anything but I can't imagine me attempting to put in a cam or the s-chgr like you're going to do. My hats off to you, big man. :cheers:

Right now I need a cold one.................Pepsi.

My kind of cold one :D

Congrats :cheers: I hope it was worth the effort. Sounds like a fun learning experience, if nothing else. It is amazing what you can accomplish, if you do your homework and go for it. :thumbs:

Thanks, Dave. I believe it was worth the effort, but to reap the full benefit I need to get a new program to move out my shift points. It feels quite a bit stronger in the upper rpms. Hoping that the superchips programming for the s-cghr will help with this.

Do you have all the functionality of the microtuner for the s-chgr, or is some of it locked out?

Really is a good experience and not extremely hard for any of it, just time consuming. May do a h/diff cam in about a year or so - still debating.

Hopefully, the Radix will be on my doorstep in the next couple of days. :D That should be a really easy install comparing the two.

Sorry, you've probably posted this in another thread, but, what cam did you go with. Something for FI I presume? Wouldn't think it have to big of lope to it for FI. I think we need a sound file :D

How does the top end feel? Between 5-6000?

It's a Competition Cam p/n#54-412-11, 212 / 218, .522/.529, 114 LSA. I'll have to look into the sound clip.

i cant wait to see the pics. i am very curious how the cam works. all the engines i have worked on has had a distrib. another question is what about timing?

Engine timing was not a problem. This particular cam does not require a new program. It takes a few minutes for the engine adjust, after that, no problems.

Hoping that the superchips programming for the s-cghr will help with this.

Do you have all the functionality of the microtuner for the s-chgr, or is some of it locked out?

To be honest, I don't know. I had my Radix installed for me and have had no reason to mess with the programmer. I just assumed that there was a specific program for the Supercharger, developed by Magnacharger. Now you got me curious. I may have to plug it in and see what options (if any) are available. When I get my LS1Edit, I will make a back up of the SC tune and then bring back the original tune and make a back up of that, then put the SC tune back and start playing around.

Archived