How-to Mod your stock box for ram-air

detjoe

I just wanted to return the help I always recieve here. I dont know what I would do w/o you all to help keep my truck in tip top shape, thanks.

I spent much time researching intakes and air filters, and I finally decided on how I was going to do mine. At first I wanted a K& N in the stock box, but I found that I want to use a stock filter just changed regularly and might use the K&N at the track for testing and such.

These are the basic tools I used, it is an 11mm socket for the metal airbox support.

post-2566-1147694202_thumb.jpg

this is what goes from the vent to the air-box.

post-2566-1147698051_thumb.jpg

this is looking up at the entire setup from the bottom.

post-2566-1147694251_thumb.jpg

This is the metal part you will cut. I used a 4" hole saw for the steel part and a concentric 3" for the plastic air-box. I split some air hose to make a cover for the edge of the metal which was sharp even after I filed it a bit, just to be safe and it ended up helping the seal. another note is that the space between the boxes is small so I started by cutting a 1" slice of 3" PVC to help me see where to drill so it was not in the side of the box or where the support clips are, this helps hide it when looking in the engine compartment.

post-2566-1147694331_thumb.jpg

The way I did it was I put the ring in place between this part and the air-box, marked the hole and drilled the 4" first. then I used the hole saw to find the center of the 4" hole on the plastic box and used the 3" saw for that so the holes are centered on each other.

To be continued...

This is the assembled bottom of the box, notice the hose placement.

post-2566-1147694447_thumb.jpg

This is the small section of PVC pipe. It is 3" PVC. I cut it at angles on both sides to help my offset. It needs to be toward the rear of the truck, so that the 3" hole is in the correct spot on the plastic air-box. It is connected to an old LT1 intake elbow that I cut donw to reduce the stress from flexing. You could use better PVC fitting or what ever you decide to use to get the ram-air back far enough to get in the stock air-box.

post-2566-1147694490_thumb.jpg

Installed Bottom.

post-2566-1147694557_thumb.jpg

Notice how it is not too water tight, so a puddle could 'overflow' out of the top of the PVC section.

post-2566-1147694620_thumb.jpg

I used 3/4 pipe insulation. it has a sticky side so I cut it down, leaving the sticky side to keep it on the plastic air box. See the impression if the blue hose I used to protect the edge, taht seems like a good enought seal :dunno:

post-2566-1147694659_thumb.jpg

3" hole in air-box

post-2566-1147694725_thumb.jpg

Installed bottom, the white PVC washes the photos

post-2566-1147695050_thumb.jpg

post-2566-1147694860_thumb.jpg

Top-side is still stock looking :cool:

post-2566-1147694977_thumb.jpg

Yours will not be just like mine but I hope this helps. I think the new ram-air tube is different, it is one piece, where I think the newer ones are made in one piece.

post-2566-1147697741_thumb.jpg

nice how-to Joe :thumbs:, well in detail.... where did you ever get the idea of the decal in the scoop!?! :crackup:

i didnt know they came around to making a one piece scoop.... have you seen one yet?

whats next for her eh?

Edited by FuelSlut (see edit history)

nice how-to Joe :thumbs:, well in detail.... where did you ever get the idea of the decal in the scoop!?! :crackup:

i didnt know they came around to making a one piece scoop.... have you seen one yet?

whats next for her eh?

I could be wrong about the two-piece thing.

next is some attention to my 1950, I have decided to either get it on the road or get rid of it, so I am in a parts hunt for that project, which in turn I hope gets me to a 408 in the SSS and my old LQ9 into the 50. It is hard for me to find affordable parts :banghead:

yea, I remember watching a blue truck (fuelslut) on the dyno and all I could see was a decal in your vent and the scream of your radix :driving:

This is meant as constructive criticism. :chillpill:

If I am understanding everything here, your pvc tube is not sealed to the bottom of the air box. Did you seal off the factory inlet holes in the air box? If not, the problems I see here are as follows.

If the factory inlet holes in the air box are not sealed off your ram air will escape through those holes and now your air box is full of air being picked up very near the road. During summer time the air closest to the pavement is the warmest air you could ram into your air box. Most race cars collect their intake air from as high up as possible. If your pvc tube and factory inlet holes in the air box are not sealed off you are missing out on the biggest benefit of ram-air and that is boost, Yes Boost. With out some form of ram-air your intake manifold pressure at wide open throttle is below atmospheric pressure (vacuum). With an efficient ram-air system or forward facing air scoop, your intake manifold pressure at wide open throttle will be above atmospheric pressure (boost). The faster you go the more boost you will make. IRL cars make a very measurable amount of boost as do Pro Stock cars. Below are some pictures of scoops mounted as high as possible to force as cold of air as possible.

irl8nt.jpg

prosock7mt.jpg

Good job joe! I am from detroit also...I ended up installing an OUTLAW cai in my truck after i did the mods similar to yours...I think there was a benefit to the OUTLAW...The tube going from the air box to the throttle body is smoother and bigger...i will be doing some testing of BOTH systems at the track in Ubly or Milan...They ususlly have a test and tune session every Saturday...If you would like to meet that would be great!

boB

detjoe,

I forgot to mention that your installation looks good, :thumbs:

also when you go to the track for testing, maybe you can take a roll of Duct-Tape

with you and after a couple of runs the way it is now, you can take the Duct-Tape

and seal the factory openings off, so that your ram air doesn't blow out your fender.

Also take the duct-tape and seal the white pvc pipe to the bottom of the air box, so all

of the air that your scoop picks up is forced into the intake manifold. Then run it again

and see if it improves. If it does improve you can remove the Duct-tape and reseal it

with something more substantial. If it does not improve, you can simply remove the

Duct-Tape and throw it in the trash. Let us know how your track testing goes. :chevy:

I need to stop posting so late at night, nothing seems to come out right.

You may have already done all of the above or don't want to. :dunno:

I am just offering up some opinion here, Good Luck. :cheers:

• 1 month later...