Metal debri on Drain plug

ifly61ce

I was reading one of the other posts, sorry can't remember who, and they said they changed thier oil at 1000 miles and found metal on the magnet, and was glad they decided to change the oil early.

I realize the engine is new and this is the time most of the wear happens, is anyone else changing the oil early, and would it hurt to go untill the engine life monitor goes to zero? I was just wondering, as I already put in Mobil 1 with a K&N 1007.

I have some pictures, but don't know how to post a picture from a file. and I dont have the picture on a URL.

Mark

From my SS spreadsheet calculations (recording the oil life remaining at each gas fill) the oil life projected by the onboard computer is 6500 miles if I do primarily normal city, stop and go driving. When I go on long trips (150+ miles), the oil indicator pushes the life out to 11,900 miles.

...and one of those drain plugs was mine. Ick. Then again, I'm already on my second transmission. ;)

I've got just over 4k miles on mine now (3500 on the oil). Engine is about to hit 100 hours and I'm going to change the oil again. As an engineer for a big diesel engine/equipment company, my suggestion is to change the oil more on engine hours than miles. Amount of fuel burned and hours running are better indicators that just looking at "miles."

My first oil change was at 500 miles (25 engine hours). Next change will be at 4000 miles (100 engine hours). Next one I'm going to do at 200 hours which should be about another 4000 or so miles.

I am of the school of thought that synthetic oil can sometimes reduce wear too much. I change my oil in a new car at 750-1000 miles the first time. The next oil change at around 3-4 thousand miles, that time switching to synthetic oil (Mobil 1 for me). The philosophy is that synthetic oil does not allow parts that must break in to properly break in. For example, piston rings; no ring is made in an exact circle, they each have small little bumps and valleys. When using conventional oil for the break-in period the rings are allowed to seat onto the cylinder walls. This allows for less blow by, which will give you greater oil life (less gas in oil) and less deposits in combustion chamber from oil coming up. Take it for what my opinion is, but this is how I do my oil. :flag:

Same thing on first oil change. Second all was good.

As an Aircraft pilot and mechanic, I tend to agree with the hour intervall oil change over miles. Modify the # of hours between changes per your driving style. Aircraft engines, that get run on short runs (training) go about 30 hours. Normal use go about 50 hours.

These engines are air cooled and very "dirty" by liquid cooled. car standards. The turbine engines go over 100 hours (at 100% power) before oil changes. They use synthetic. I have no problem going 100 hours between oil changes with mostly country driving.

Archived