Lowering an '06

Hello everybody, first post here =)

I just picked up a 2WD '06 Silverado 1500 Limited Edition on 4/28. I guess it's equivalent to the 'VHO' has same suspension as the SS (Z60), 5.3, 3:73s, Locking rear diff, etc..

I want to order lowering components tomorrow, but am unsure which to buy. My rear hangers are welded on, so shackles and leaf are my only option back there. I've all but 100% decided on McGaughy 2" spindles up front, with Belltech 3" Leaf and 1" shackle in the rear. Four questions come to mind:

1 - Knowing that the Z60 is lowered about an inch up front, and 2" rear from the factory. Which factory parts are different to provide the drop. Front I suspect is just due to the T-Bar setup, nothing else different. Rear, I'm guessing dropped leaf (my '02 S10 Xtreme used lower leaf from factory.) Can someone confirm this for me? Also, by replacing spindles (2"), leaf (3"), and shackle (1") with aftermarket units - will I be level afterwards?

2 - I've never run aftermarket leafs, are they really that bad for ride quality? I hear McGaughy makes 3" leafs as well, how are they in comparison. I've searched everywhere and can't find any info on the MCG Leafs and very little on the Belltechs since most use Shackle / Hanger combination.

3 - If I just get 3" leafs for now, can I level the front with the rear while only making a 1" (+/-) T-Bar adjustment?

4 - Am I even capable of a 2 / 4 drop with the factory '275 55 20' rubber installer? The non-Z60 guys are saying it will rub horribly, but I've also been told SS's do not have that issue. This is a major question for me at this point.

Sorry if these questions have been answered previously. I've searched this forum, as well as two others, and have come up dry.

Thanks - Matt

If your going to be buying the leafs from belltech don't waste your time and money on those junk McGaughys spindles, buy Belltechs you will be much happier and they will actually fit.

If your truck is an extended cab the hangers are riveted on not welded. If it's a crew cab then yes they are welded on, but I don't believe they make the 2wd crew cab with tortion bar front suspention.

EDIT: you will be better off with a 2/3 just for the fact it probably only has 1" of rake in it stock so if you were to do a 2/4 you would measure 1" lower in the rear.

Start by measuring from the ground to the top of your fender opening with the truck on level ground to see exactly how much rake it has and then go from there.

You shouldn't have any issues with a 2/3 or a 3/4 drop with the stock 20's. You may get some minor rubbing up front and you may have to roll the lip in the rear slightly but it's not going to make the truck non drivable if you don't.

Thanks for the response. This is the first time I've heard anything bad about McGaughy spindles. People on the other 2 forums I just joined rave about them. I've heard they push the wheel out a noticable bit. This will be the 3rd truck of mine I've lowered, all others were S-Dimes. I've always used 100% Belltech, but with coming into the full sized realm, people seem to hate it. That being said, I'd much rather use Belltech.

Also, it is extended cab. However, I inspected my hangers the other day and there was definately a solid weld seem top to bottom. I'll double check tomorrow, but I'm 99.99% on that.

Glad to hear confirmation on the tires, don't really want to buy 45 series when this is brand new rubber.

Yeah well most people don't know what the hell they are talking about anyways. The McGaughys spindles won't work on the 05-06 2wd trucks because they have larger brakes than the earlier trucks did and McGaughys changed the dimention of their spindles for whatever reason from the hub mounting location to the caliper mounting location, and on 05-06 truck it puts the caliper right on the spindle.

You will also need a carrier bearing relocator. These trucks do come with two different types of carrier bearings so it will depend on which one you have, I got lucky and just ordered the relocator and it ended up being for the carrier bearing that I have.

I for got to ask is this an extended cab or a crew cab? If it's a crew cab then yes your hangers are welded on, I just assumed it was an extended cab since it sounds just like the apperance package trucks.

I for got to ask is this an extended cab or a crew cab? If it's a crew cab then yes your hangers are welded on, I just assumed it was an extended cab since it sounds just like the apperance package trucks.

You were right the first time, it's extended cab =) I just got my truck back last night from the glass shop (some idiot shot out my front and rear window with a .45) and forgot to look at the hangers. I'll check tonight when I get home from work, this is the million dollar question at the moment.

Double checked, and the hangers are definately welded on  :banghead:

What are the chances of not having driveshaft vibration if I just do a 1" T-bar drop with 3" leafs in the back? Maybe just 2" shackles and no front drop..

Do 2" spindles up front with the 3" leafs.

If your going to be buying the leafs from belltech don't waste your time and money on those junk McGaughys spindles, buy Belltechs you will be much happier and they will actually fit.

If your truck is an extended cab the hangers are riveted on not welded. If it's a crew cab then yes they are welded on, but I don't believe they make the 2wd crew cab with tortion bar front suspention.

EDIT: you will be better off with a 2/3 just for the fact it probably only has 1" of rake in it stock so if you were to do a 2/4 you would measure 1" lower in the rear.

Start by measuring from the ground to the top of your fender opening with the truck on level ground to see exactly how much rake it has and then go from there.

You shouldn't have any issues with a 2/3 or a 3/4 drop with the stock 20's. You may get some minor rubbing up front and you may have to roll the lip in the rear slightly but it's not going to make the truck non drivable if you don't.

Yeah well most people don't know what the hell they are talking about anyways. The McGaughys spindles won't work on the 05-06 2wd trucks because they have larger brakes than the earlier trucks did and McGaughys changed the dimention of their spindles for whatever reason from the hub mounting location to the caliper mounting location, and on 05-06 truck it puts the caliper right on the spindle.

You will also need a carrier bearing relocator. These trucks do come with two different types of carrier bearings so it will depend on which one you have, I got lucky and just ordered the relocator and it ended up being for the carrier bearing that I have.

i noticed you said the mcgaughys spindles dont fit the 05-06 chevy trucks. my friend has a 2wd 06 1/2 ton with the big brakes and he is using mcgaughys spindles on his ride. and you also metioned that you clam they moved the dimension of the hub hole??????? did you actually take their first spindles and compare it with one they are selling now. this is my friend telling me this info. if you think the bell spindle is so much better tell us the reason. is it because it is about 2.0 inches taller than the stock spindle. what is the reasoning behind that?????? i am curious to know this info. and you sound like you are knowledgeable with beltech. or a suspension expert.

i noticed you said the mcgaughys spindles dont fit the 05-06 chevy trucks. my friend has a 2wd 06 1/2 ton with the big brakes and he is using mcgaughys spindles on his ride. and you also metioned that you clam they moved the dimension of the hub hole??????? did you actually take their first spindles and compare it with one they are selling now. this is my friend telling me this info. if you think the bell spindle is so much better tell us the reason. is it because it is about 2.0 inches taller than the stock spindle. what is the reasoning behind that?????? i am curious to know this info. and you sound like you are knowledgeable with beltech. or a suspension expert.

Well McGaughys may have changed their spindles now to fit the new brakes but at the time they hadn't. I also noticed when I got them to make me a set which were custom cut to the specs I gave them that I lost a lot of steering because they didn't have a relief in the back side of the spindle and it would hit the stop on the controll arm way too soon. I gained all if not more steering back when I installed Belltechs spindles and they are built a whole lot better than McGaughys as far as the stud that is installed in the spindle and the over all finish, it looks like Belltech uses a much higher quality casting company.

BTW I am a fabriacator and I built the suspention on our road race truck.

772146_329_full.jpg

Well McGaughys may have changed their spindles now to fit the new brakes but at the time they hadn't. I also noticed when I got them to make me a set which were custom cut to the specs I gave them that I lost a lot of steering because they didn't have a relief in the back side of the spindle and it would hit the stop on the controll arm way too soon. I gained all if not more steering back when I installed Belltechs spindles and they are built a whole lot better than McGaughys as far as the stud that is installed in the spindle and the over all finish, it looks like Belltech uses a much higher quality casting company.

772146_329_full.jpg

here is my reply to beltech using a better quality casting compay. they use bell foundry which is located in MEXICO and if your talking about the overall finish of the casting that could just be the size of the shot peen that is being used to blast the heat treating scale off. you cant judge the quality of the casting company just by looks you need to do metalurgy tests and hardness test to know the quality. you cant look at the casting and judge quality.

772146_329_full.jpg

here is my reply to beltech using a better quality casting compay. they use bell foundry which is located in MEXICO and if your talking about the overall finish of the casting that could just be the size of the shot peen that is being used to blast the heat treating scale off. you cant judge the quality of the casting company just by looks you need to do metalurgy tests and hardness test to know the quality. you cant look at the casting and judge quality.

I'd still use their products over McGaughys just because McGaughys doesn't know what they hell they are talking about when ever you call their tech department and their help is worthless. They told me I wouldn't need anything to correct pinion angle for a 4" drop :crackup:

I talked to a guy at McGaughy's and he was a complete ASSH*LE!

I told him that I heard the new SS's were a little different than the AWD and he said they were the same. He was bothered by me not agreeing with him so he proceeded to tell me that "I heard" therefore I didn't know, and he said, and I quote, "you dont know what the hell you are talking about". "You aren't the first to drop a truck like that one". I then said that the brakes were larger on the new ones and then he said" Sir we have the spindle fitting the new Tahoe also" I asked him if the tahoe and tortion bar equipped trucks had the same suspension because I didnt know and he said "Sir is there anything you do know, Goodbye sir" and hung up the phone.

I think I might go with McGaughy's just because of the excellent customer service :yellow_loser: The phone only rang once before he picked it up :jester:

Edited by OUT2WIN (see edit history)

Yeah their product works for some but if you don't have anything to compare it to you wouldn't give it a second thought. Before my truck was dropped I had to make a really tight turn into my driveway at full lock, after I got a set of "halfass custom cut McGaughys spindles" I had do do like a 3 point turn to get into my driveway which at the time I figured oh well it looks cool lowered and it still rides like stock. I then got a hold of Belltech because I got tired of this BS and they laughed when I told them the problems I have had with McGaughys. You might say "well any competitor would do that" but it's because they knew I was right. I got a set of Belltechs spindles and I was absolutly amazed at how much steering I have now. I can damn near do circles on a residential street with 22x10 wheels in a fullsize truck dropped 4". If McGaughys doesn't think you need toadjust the driveline to correct the angles then why in the hell do they sell the products to do it? I think they just suddenly fell into a lot of money and don't really care what happends to the customer, which is sad for those customers who don't know any better and purchase their products. The only reason I have some McGaughys products on my truck is one I bought the spindles, haners, and relocator from them. If I had known before hand I never would of purchased anything from them because the parts that belltech doesn't make such as the hangers and this particular relocator, I could have gotten somewhere else.