Dodge Tuning

Cadstar

HI guys,

Sorry this is off-topic a bit considering it deals with Dodoge, but I need some advice for a friend. He has a 2005 Ram with the 5.7L Hemi and is looking for a programmer for it. My understanding is that no one does custom tunes for Dodge, you need to get a Hypertec or something. I have heard Hypertech is junk when it comes to our trucks but I don't what to recomend for my bud about what he can do to get a bit more power out of his pile of crap (I mean Hemi Ram).

I know there are enough Dodge boys that hang around here that someone must have some suggestions so I can help this guy out.

What do you guys think? He has only a K&N filter and a cat back right now. He is looking at the Hypertech Hyperpac - which looks kind of cool but it is not cheap. ($800)

Thanks for any recomendations you guys can make. :chevy:

As far as I know there was a true tuning software released not too long back for the Hemi's. HP Tuners is supposed to have something coming for it. There are a few Dodge boys on here that may have an answer for you. :thumbs:

Mid year is the projected release of the hp tuners/superchips dodgeand ford software. We will see though.

I installed a superchip flashpac on an 05 4wd 5.7 hemi. It was great for a handheld. It drops cruise control after 1700-1800 rpm. I think everyone is having a difficult time with the dodge code.

I have suggested to him to get on a Dodge site and find out for himself many times. Annoying when someone resepects your opinions but won't follow your advice. No way I am joining a Dodoge site and doing all the legwork for him, I was just hoping that some of the Dodge guys that hang around here would have a quick easy answer. CrazyMoparGuy - nothing to chime in here? ;)

Believe me, when my buddy Don started looking for a truck I told him go with the Bowtie or nothing, but he is one of those poor guys that got sucked in by all the Hemi hype.

Don't worry, we have lined up many times and I have proven over and over the superiority of the Vortec 6.0L :chevy:

He even had been listening to a local shop owner that told him cat-back and performance exhaust systems don't help performance at all - they are just hype. Can you believe someone in the industry said that? So I was able to get him talked into the cat-back (not sure which one he bought) and stop listening to morons. Thanks for the quick Superchips and HP Tuners info though! I'll pass it on.

well the guy is right cat back really dont do anything for performance, maybe if you have alot of mods already they would help, but on a stock vehicle an exhuast does virtually nothing . espeacially on an ss, they have good stock exhaust!

I didn't own a Hemi but I did have a 4.7L Dakota up until about 9 months ago. I had gotten a Superchips programmer for it and it didn't do a thing except for remove the speed limiter.

I had done several things to the truck though which could have caused me not to feel anything. From what I have heard the programmers work if you have a stock truck and haven't done anything to them. Once you start moding the truck the programmers just aren't worth it. On my truck I had an Aire Intake, Headers, exhaust, and a few other things. But like I said, the programmer wasn't worth the $400 that it cost to just remove the speed limiter at that point.

With my previous experiences and what I have read on this site now, I'm going to wait and get a custom program from pcmforless or something like that once I have a couple more mods done to take advantage of it.

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate the advice. Cat-back exhaust granted may not help alone but the better your engine can breath, the more power it can make. - Kind of a rule I learned from a fellow gearhead back when I was just a young punk. So I always recomend improvements there as long as it is in the buget. If it doesn't do you much good now, it will after further mods. Plus performance exhaust has enough audio appeal to generally make it worthwhile. :chevy: